1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

season 8 thoughts

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by amberjane, Apr 3, 2016.

1. amberjane

amberjane Potential

this is my second read-through, and for awhile i wanted to make a post that asked when did season 8 become too crazy, even for btvs? but instead, i ll throw that in with some other thoughts.

i actually liked most of the season. things got a little too hard to accept when the slayer army ended up in tibet... at first i thought it was when buffy had her lesbian experience, because thats so not buffy- but then i thought about it, and realized its not like buffy ever used someone before solely bc she was lonely, horny, and wanted an ego boost, right? however, i dont accept how she knew about satsu on her own. everyonr had to spell it out for her when it was spike.

random, but i also dont accept buffy wearing a night gown in her dream travels with ethan.

although funny, i hated the idea of buffy and xander. i could never see that being a real thing in the show. but her being called out on it was one of the highlights of the season, and definitely captured buffy's heightened level of selfishness. may have kind of foreshadowed it a bit...

of course i hate the twilight bit, i hate angel and i hated how quickly she forgave him (pre killing giles). and it was a bit complicated trying to follow giles's explanation of it all.

i would have preferred the original concept of the seed being a crystal cluster vs an egg. the egg didnt look natural, but did look childish and basic. i dont know why the egg seed was the winner.

i think when i first noticed s8 getting too out of control was when they had all these big high tech security items and immense power from the slayer army witches- it was too much, and the money could only be explained with robbing banks. so much for someone that believed in the justice system. that was pretty out of character.

2. Iwearthecheese

Iwearthecheese Scooby

There's a whole bunch wrong with the comics, even though- as I here it - Season 8 is the best of the bunch. The thing is just so overblown and stupid.

That's sure when it lost it completely but the warning signs were there from very early on.
    Giant Dawn ws the first clue because why? It wasn't clever or really all that funny, it was 'visual comic book' stuff that never would've happened on the show- not just because of budget restraints but because it was DUMB.

Also Joss forgetting that Warren was supposed to be dead for most of S7- the First, and what with resurrection supposedly being a big deal and all...
    Dawn becoming a whiny normal again, what happened to S7 Dawn?
    Buffy and Giles being on the odds for 'reasons' that happened off-screen,
    Giles trying to turn Faith into an assassin again, Faith being dumped on by life.circumstances/people.
    Spike's bugship save-the-day.
    Buffy busily flirting as the apocalypse she caused is happening *vomits*...the list goes on. Many of the big dramatic things were utter fails.

Some of the smaller moments/arcs worked well 'The Chain' is good- that 'Buffy' I liked because she was heroic.
    Buffy's friendship moments with Xander and Willow were better than any of the S7 weak sauce, the dream episode about S1 was probably my favourite and made me miss that show/cast.
    Buffy testing out her Superman powers whilst Xander geeks out was hilarious I must say.
    Oh, and the one about the cutsey-evil dolls was an amusing aside.

Not much else and the ending made me hate a few characters retroactively- I certainly disliked Buffy and Angel a lot more after reading S8.

Maybe, Buffy is pretty vanilla in my view- vampire kink not-withstanding.
    A lot of Fuffies see her being subconsciously attracted to Faith for a bit of S3 (or maybe just what Faith represents?) and thought the writers were throwing them something (although when asked about 'Buffy sleeping with a girl SMG initially thought Willow and was pleased...) in general I though the 'Buffy figuring out Satsu's feelings and is moved' was silly.
    How can I be invested in something when I don't know why Satsu fell for Buffy in the first place, It's not like I can see any evidence of it on the page.

Exactly, it was about what Buffy needed or wanted, never about Satsu.
    Buffy regresses utterly in S8 which is the real crime. It's like JW had run out of 'new issues' for her and recycled all the old ones. 'I'm so lonely!' she cries, 'There's something wrong with me!' she wails (simply forgetting about the cookie dough speech which was finally a sign of emotional maturity), 'I can kill humans now!' (wtf morals?),
    The best 'I can't trust anybody (Willow, Giles, Faith, Andrew) ...but ooh, but my hunky ex-boyfriend is a mass murderer with a messiah complex- I can't trust him either but I'm so lonely/horny/disconnected from normal... what do I care about all these girls that I recruited to their deaths...'

3. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

@amberjane I agree. The who thing was just dire imo. It seemed to come across as the more self indulgent bit of OOC nonsense that I've ever had the misfortune to read.

I'm amazed that Whedon came up with the idea, as I'm sure many a fanfic writer could have come up with something better, and thats saying something. :D

Iwearthecheese likes this.
  4. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I haven't read Season 8 for a long time and can't remember a lot of it, but I do remember thinking 'what utter nonsense'. The story, the characters, nothing made any sense. Maybe drugs were involved during the writing :D

5. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Lord, somethings got to account for it! :D

Priceless likes this.
  6. Iwearthecheese

Iwearthecheese Scooby

Joss, like Giles, was simply bonked on the head too many times...

I'd rather he woke up in a coma than pen Season 8!

Priceless likes this.
  7. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

My Season 8 thoughts are simple. I hate Joss Whedon and I reject all this nonsense as canon. If I ever run into Joss he's in for some major bitca slaps for his destruction of AtS for this...this...crap.

8. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    That's a good question - why Joss killed AtS and downgraded one of his main characters. Angel is back on tracks now, but not AtS.

9. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

*sigh* I miss Wesley. :(

10. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I'm sure that this seems like a small thing, and I'm sure that many of you have heard me say it before, but I was really looking forward to finally finding out just exactly who or what the Immortal was, after such a big thing was made about him in "The Girl In Question." I must have had a dozen different theories about him, and I'll always hate not knowing for sure, all because Joss either didn't or couldn't follow through by coming up with a character unique and impressive enough to be the Immortal. (If he had just given me a call, I could have helped him out)

Also, though, technically, it wasn't actually part of Season 8, the final fight in the alley that led to "Angel: After The Fall" was the biggest disappointment IDW could have come up with. I hate deus ex machinas, and Cordelia the dragon was definitely one of the lamest bail outs that I have ever seen. (Once more, Joss, I'm here for you. Just give me a call. It's not too late)

11. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

I don't think it had anything to do with Joss not being able to follow through with something cool enough. It was one part damage control and one part fear of shippers. A lot of people started hating on Buffy in S6 and even more so in S7. Her presence in AtS S5, even though she wasn't there, just furthered that. After TGiQ aired there were some petty choice words thrown Buffy's way (including 'wh*re of the undead').

And of course their never ending fear of shippers. They have constantly compromised their storytelling integrity because of that fear.

thetopher likes this.
  12. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Personally I think you're giving too much power to shippers. Somehow I doubt they were swayed THAT much.

I think Whedon's always written the story he wants to write.

13. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I wonder if Season 8 was Joss's reaction to being freed from the restrictions of television. He didn't have to worry about cgi, fx, budget, etc. he could let his imagination go, and went for it.

Which just shows, everyone needs boundaries :D

14. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Yes, apparently that was exactly the reason, and in interviews afterwards he admitted that they'd gone too far and that some fans were put off by the ott nature of it.

Priceless: Wow really. It sort of does make sense, and I understand the backlash too - it was way ott
  15. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

I don't have to give shippers that power. Whedon did. As has been mentioned by the comics staff, Scott Allie I believe, they couldn't even bring up the AR without being overrun by Spike fans/Spuffy shippers. Which is why the topic still hasn't been thorougly examined. And they damn well needed to before they put Spuffy together again in a sexual relationship this current Season. I know it's been mentioned this Season but it's been very much 'blink and you miss it'. So yeah too much of the storyline is influenced by fans.

16. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

I don't agree with you, but lets say some of that is true I strongly doubt anything like that occurred in season 8.A season Spike was barely in.

17. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Nothing in S8 is more ridiculous than S6's "I don't care I wanna go home" Giles and S7's "you children go ahead die for me" Buffy.

And yeah. Even Twilight makes more sense.

And I find it amusing that Joss Whedon was dismissed for bad writing, but quoted positively of his "regrets" and "apology". IMO most part of S8 is great. JW's apology after issue 40 sucks. He doesn't need to do it.

The main storyline of S8 is inevitable and heavily foreshadowed in "After the Fall". Some executions are off, but that's also part of Jane Espenson and Brad Meltzer's fault.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  18. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Yeah, I really enjoy season 8

19. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

No but there was a huge outcry of Spike fans when they heard he wouldn't be in S8 due to being AtS property now. Can't have Buffy without Spike, even though he is always so much more interesting away from her, if only a lot of his fans cared more about him getting a good story than the girl. And what do you know, Angel's property gets over to DH, Spike gets relatively ignored so as not to damage him too much, while Angel and AtS get utterly destroyed.

20. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Imo It did seem bloody weird to totally ignore Spikes character as he played such an integral part of season 7, but then thats what I hated about season 8 was that you never did see how they got from the end of season 7 to the beginning of 8. The whole bank robbing bit for example.

And I strongly doubt they ignored Spike for the reasons your citing. I think It was more because they felt he didn't fit in the story they were telling.

gite63 likes this.