1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should "Dead End" had been Lindsey's last episode?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Joshua, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

Am I the only one who thinks that "Dead End" should had been Lindsey's last episode? I didn't like how they made his character such a bastard later on.

I also loved the chemistry between Lindsey and Angel in this episode. It also put a closure between their hate relationship. They eventually became friends in a way.

2. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    No, because Lindsey's story wasn't finished.

Lindsey might have left LA of his own free will in that episode, but he still lost - to both Angel and W&H. And that was just something that Lindsey could never live with.

When he came back in S5, it was for revenge on both of them, but most specifically, W&H. They took EVERYTHING from him, and made him into exactly what he didn't want to be - exactly like his daddy, running and hiding from people, living hand to mouth. He couldn't deal with that, so he came back.

His revenge against Angel was put aside in favor of his revenge against the company that ruined his life and it's for that reason that Lindsey throws his lot in with Angel in the hopes of destroying W&H from the inside out.

But Angel knows that that hatred towards him is still inside Lindsey and could show itself at any point. Lindsey's ambition to be anything but the man who raised him is also there, that need to prove he's better than his father and everyone else and this is why Angel decides to have Lorne kill Lindsey. Like I said in the other thread, it's probably one of the very few things that I hate Angel for. Killing Lindsey because he MIGHT go evil again was a hypocritical reason. By that way of thinking Angel himself should have also been killed at that point, as should Spike, Willow, Faith, Andrew, Harmony and Connor. They MIGHT go evil again at any point as well. It's a stupid reason.

As for the chemistry between Angel and Lindsey - David Boreanaz and Christian Kane are best friends in real life and have been LONG before they started working together on AtS. It's that relationship that transfers to the screen.

Wesley Junior and Wesley Pryce like this.
  3. Merrick

Merrick 'Charles Gunn. Two N's.'

What she said!

Basically, when Dead End finished I was sad to see Lindsey go, but was happy that he did get some degree of closure, though I often longed for his return.

I was surprised and delighted when he reappeared in Season 5 and I think he was necessary. He is a very important character in the context of the fifth season and his return was certainly necessary. Whedon rarely brings back a character unless he needs them.

I was glad Lindsey came back, he was important and necessary to the show. I also think Season 5 is his finest season as a character.

4. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I'm also in favour of Lindsey coming back. I think it was consistent with his character to come back, and his death is one of my favourite in the verse because of how conflicting it was. Killing him was a bit like killing the male version of s3-4 Faith in the sense that Lindsey is not a good person, but I still feel for him. He was corrupted, but Angel ordering his killing was one of the biggest "did that really just happen", and Lorne executing it was brilliant. I feel like that scene was just unfair to so many characters, and I love it! I'm diverging from the topic now, but yes, I like that he came back.

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Also, I think it's a nice change to have a storyline where in the end, the character doesn't repent themselves. Willow, Angel, Connor, Andrew, Spike, Faith all had happy endings of them coming back to the good side, I think it was needed to show someone that has so much anger, they simply will never be able to get over the past.

Wesley Pryce likes this.
  5. Merrick

Merrick 'Charles Gunn. Two N's.'

That scene sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it.

Wesley Pryce likes this.
  6. Ella

Ella Townie

Nope,Lindsey's story wasn't finished in Season 2.Also,it would be kind of lame if he gave up just like that without any revenge and everything.Also I find his character really interesting and Season 5 wouldn't be the same without him.

Wesley Pryce likes this.
  7. Wesley Pryce

Wesley Pryce Angel Investigations

Black Thorn
    you nailed it,I agree
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 12, 2015, Original Post Date: Mar 12, 2015 ---
    I agree with the majority here, Lindsey's story was not finished and I'm so very glad he came back once more. His 100th episode fight with Angel was epic, his scenes with Spike were so awesome, and his ending with Lorne is one of the greatest moments in the whole verse. It was so sad to see him die, and yet so fitting, Christian Kane was flawless in his emotional death scene, great performance. Lorne killing Lindsey was surprising and yet made sense for both characters, this alone was worth Lindsey coming back, never mind all the other multitude of reasons that made his return worth it as well. His appearance at the end of "destiny" was one of the many great surprises for me when I first watched ATS season 5. I'm glad that Angel and Lindsey started and finished this great series. :)

8. Cordy_Chase

Cordy_Chase Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

Sineya
    Although I don't know much of Lindsey's role in season five as I'm not sure I'd be able to stand watching season five for an irrelevant reason (though I wouldn't mention it around here anyway as it would probably start a riot) his departure in 'Dead End' was like tossing a ripped stuffed toy in the closet and forgetting about it.

"You don't seem happy...the more you get the less you have."

Every time he did Wolfram and Hart's bidding, he might as well have been tearing off a piece of his soul and handing it over to them. The more he became their favorite player, the less he knew who the man in the mirror was and their praise and rewards only provided an identity crisis.
    In his first scene in 'Dead End' while he does his morning routine you can feel the hollowness of his presence in the room, a withered remnant of his identity that he almost did not recognize when his eyes locked for that long moment with the guitar he'd not been able to play for a year.

Having to ally with the attacker he'd spent a year loathing to remedy the very suffering that attacker subjected him to was the proverbial straw. I think vengeance towards Angel for his severed hand gave him the definition he may not have even realized he needed to justify his alliance to Wolfram and Hart. This is further indicated by his rejection of Angel's attempt at buddy-type conversation as he's getting into his truck to depart L.A, like he can't let go of that motivation. Then the universe came along and took that away from him by giving Angel a chance to redeem that sin and via what should have been Lindsey's reward but seemed instead to be a punishment to him.

Seeing the young man who'd "donated" his hand to him, recognizing his face was a very profound moment for him that plunged him into revelation. This suggested that he never really understood the impact Wolfram and Hart's dark actions had on innocent lives until he personally benefited from the suffering they caused an innocent and a part of himself wanted to take a life.
    When he cries that he can not control his hand, his "evil hand" that is symbolic of how he'd lost control of everything he'd known, the identity that he'd established. The term 'evil hand' in itself represents his realization of Wolfram and Hart's core, basically he was calling them evil to their faces.

As he's leaving he says that he is something along the lines of returning to his roots, which indicates that he was looking to soul search and coming to terms with the fact that Wolfram and Hart basically deceived and used him is a profound reason to return for salvation. Angel whom at this point could be seen from Lindsey's perspective as being responsible for shattering his identity by sending him on the path severing his hand pushed him to as the new face of W&H is kind of a powerful metaphor of how Lindsey sees both as the same; the same deceiver, the same destroyer.

In 'You're Welcome', the one season five episode I know of him in he really took his game to a brilliantly nasty level targeting Angel's greatest treasure and in so many ways the representation of his identity as the champion, Cordelia and using Doyle to torture him with core of that identity was out of this world.

Sure 'Dead End' could have been his conclusion, it sent him off closed-ended enough but one can tell by 'You're Welcome' alone that he returned a stronger character and having his death (which I saw via Youtube) be at the hands of the one person who was not only anti-violence but never judged him except as a singer which was one of the truest parts of him and you can tell in Kane's performance that he felt the impact of that was seriously genius. Hallett's performance in that scene was also beautiful.

Going back to that ripped stuffed toy metaphor, why throw it out when you can sew it up and give it more meaning.

9. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    I do think Dead End should've been the last we saw of Lindsay. Driving off into the unknown, with a "Cops Suck" sign on the back of his truck. Perfect.

Plus, his scene in the W & H board room was epic. Evil hand issues....I laughed so hard. Still do, in fact.

10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

No, but I think it made sense that they waited until the last season before bringing him back. It served a purpose.