1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Should Gwendolyn Post have become a long term character?

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Mr Trick, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Here's my thinking. First of all I loved the interactions between her and Giles during her one episode. I would have liked to have seen more of that relationship. Think it would have been good for Gile's character to have that counter point. And I think if Gwendolyn had stayed as Faith's watcher it would have further added to the tension between Faith and Buffy/The Scoobies. It could have been another way to pave the way for Faith's switch later in the season.

Thoughts?

2. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

I really enjoyed Serena Scott Thomas as Gwendolyn Post and would definitely have liked her to stick around a bit longer, as Faiths real watcher, rather than her being evil. Her bickering with Giles was fun and I think she could have had a very positive effect on Faith, as she did in the few scenes we saw them together. Because she was really evil, and Faith had already accepted her at face value, this had a terrible effect on Faith and I think if Post have been her real watcher, we could have seen a totally different Faith.

Mr Trick likes this.
  3. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    At first she was interesting, in the first few scenes. But that is about it. I cant see there being anymore/better interactions between her and Giles, than Giles and Wesley. I really prefer Wesley over Gwendolyn.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And you still could have had Gwendolyn go evil later on, but certainly I think there was five or six episodes worth of storytelling here. I feel there was more to have been gotten from Post's old fasioned values as a watcher compared with Gile's more progressive modern ideas.

Very good point and certainly you would have struggled to have justified having both Wesley and Gwendolyn long term. But you're looking at it from the interactions with Giles point of view (which I was partly too), but there is also the Faith issue to think about. I don't think Wesley as a watcher added much to Faith, whereas I think Gwendolyn might have. Don't forget also the lack of depth you see in Gwendolyn might come from the fact that her plot in Revulations has that monster of the week feel to it.

5. Priceless

Faith obviously took to Post in a way she never did with Wesley, so I do think there was scope for a few more episodes to build up their relationship, then how much more crushing it would have been for Faith if Post turned evil after they had really bonded.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  6. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    To me, Gwendolyn is a typical one shot character, there to further establish Faith's distrust of people and then the series moves on. I found her to be too much of a stereotype, like a female Giles without the fun.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  7. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Completely agree. There was no need nor purpose to keep her on the show.

8. Priceless

There were some characters that hung around too long, like Scott Hope, who should have been a one shot, but Post had more going for her, I felt. She was the typical uptight British watcher, like Giles and Wesley, but I would have liked to have seen that character from a female perspective.

Never being a Wesley fan :eek: I think I would have preferred a Gwendolyn to a Wesley, though of course then Angel would have been vastly different :) Or maybe not, could the Wesley role have been female and still as popular as it appears to be?

9. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I think she could have stuck around for a few episodes then went all evil. Or not go evil but just get killed off again, like Faiths first watcher. If this was Faith the Vampire Slayer if might have happened. Season 3 wasn't really concerned about Faiths character until Bad Girls. But it would have been interesting seeing Faith with her own watcher.

Monkey Pants: Yeah, they messed up not caring about Faith early on.
    Priceless likes this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well they never should have bothered with Scott Hope in the first place. What a hateful, empty character:mad:

See I am a big Wesley character. So that's the only thing is if he had never been in Buffy then there wouldn't have been much logic to his role in Angel or certainly his character would have needed more introduction. But I agree with you that SCT was great as Post and for the bond with Faith alone there could have been more from her.

11. Squidprint

Squidprint Townie

I could see Gwendolyn Post's character as part of a two episode arc that culminates in Revelations. Course I don't think she would fit into any of the previous episodes, maybe Homecoming? I guess I could see that. I think if she stuck around too long, then Wesley's character would seem repetitive, and as I am a huge Wesley fan I would not want that to happen.

Mr Trick likes this.
  12. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Post could have stayed around for a short arc if she had been a legitimate Watcher who really bonded with Faith (maybe she and Faith's original Watcher had been sisters, with a close family resemblance) then became possessed by some demon, so that Buffy or Giles or both had no choice but to kill her. That could have started the rift between Faith and the others. Whatever made her go evil would have had to be totally unrelated to Wilkins, though, or it wouldn't have made any sense for Faith to throw in with him.

Mr Trick: Great idea!
    Priceless and Mr Trick like this.
  13. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I'm all up for the female representation, but I felt it would have been nice if she wasn't a typical uptight British watcher.... someone so completely different from both Giles and Wesley, while still being British and female. I found the character to be grating and I'm glad she was only a one-shot. I felt that she did what she needed to, to progress Faith's story line. I would have only wanted her more long term if she was vastly different in style to the watchers we already knew....

Priceless: I think that's just how they made Watchers; uptight and British :-)
  14. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I didn't really care for her character and didn't feel the need to see more, but if she had stuck around to form a close bond with Faith, that would have made more sense to her feeling so betrayed.