1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Slayer Time Gap

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Wizardsnapper, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Wizardsnapper

Wizardsnapper Townie

I had always wondered in the past between the time that Spike killed his second Slayer in New York City why wasn't there a new Slayer called at that point in time. Buffy first died fighting the Master and Kendra was called, when Kendra died a new Slayer Faith was called so why the big time gap between the time in New York until the time that Buffy became a Slayer. We saw in the last season that potential Slayers we're always ready willing and able to go in case one of them got called for their time of need... Why the big time gap

2. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I'm sure a new slayer was called, we just don't know who. Clearly that slayer died though, and we got Buffy down the line. Considering the lifespan of slayers, there was likely a couple of slayers between Robin's mom and Buffy.

3. Wizardsnapper

Wizardsnapper Townie

True that seems like a good explanation but it just seems weird that there was no mention of it given all the time they had.

4. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    At one point the Master tells Buffy that she is "prettier than the last one" meaning there was someone between Buffy and Nikki. The new slayer would have been called immediately after Nikki's death but she would not necessarily show up in the same place, so it may appear that no one had been called.

5. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I find that doubtful because the vampires serving the Master seemed shocked and surprised by Buffy as if they couldn't figure out she was the Slayer (even if Darla is shown to know what Slayers were during the Boxer Rebellion), and the Master said it had been far too long since they'd faced a Slayer. Luke gives the last time he was defeated (as he was caught sleeping) in I believe the 1800s, and apparently was with the Master then. I would think if the Master faced a Slayer then it was before that, though possibly it was when the Master got trapped underground (though I thought he got trapped because of the machinations of the Mayor). It doesn't sound like any such confrontation happened in relatively recent times.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017 ---
    @Wizardsnapper, I think you'd like Tales of the Slayers. These are anthologies that give short stories of many Slayers. These includes of Slayers between Nikki and Buffy (at least I recall Two Teenage Girls at the Mall by Jane Espenson, which is in the anthology of Slayers facing the Cruciamentum, and listed as happening in Nebraska of 1981).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. Bloody William

Bloody William Potential

Julie Lemmer was the slayer in the short story.
    India Cohen was between her and Buffy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  7. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Considering the amount of time between Nikki's death and Buffy's Calling, there could have been, literally, dozens of girls, since the impression that I got was that Slayers usually didn't last a really long time before dying. That "One Girl In The World" system couldn't have been very efficient if the number of times that Buffy had to fight multiple opponentson any given night was the norm. No matter how good that individual girl might be, without someone watching her back, she wouldn't have had much of a chance.

Priceless likes this.
  8. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    We're led to believe that any girl anywhere in the world could be called as a slayer, so it's just likely that a slayer was called somewhere but probably didn't last long til the next one was called, and the next one. I doubt many slayers lasted long, especially if they were without a Watcher to guide them. :(

Priceless likes this.
  9. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

The Slayers weren`t always in Sunnydale. Nikki was in new York and Xin Ro was in China. Therefroe there could have been Slayers between Nikkis Death in 1977 and Buffys calling everywhere in the world. They could have been in Timbuktu, as far as we know. That would explain, why no one in Sunnydale remembers them or talks about them.

They probably would have been mentioned in the Slayers handbook, but Buffy never read that, did she ?

Flow

Priceless likes this.
  10. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I think there were Slayers inbetween, their existence just wasn't pivotal to Buffy's story. We didn't know much about any other Slayers until it became a thing to note on (such as Spike killing two of them, or new ones getting called beause of Buffy's death).

So the time gap just boils down to - what do we need to know about previous Slayers? Basically, it's a gap that can be filled with Slayers as it serves the story, we don't need to know about them unless there's a reason for it. (Like some of the Tales of the Slayers and other Buffy books deals with previous Slayers, like India Cohen mentioned above.) :)

I also imagine that Buffy often didn't want to dwell too much on previous Slayers in most of the show... they're kind of a reminder of her own, likely, short and violent life.

Priceless likes this.
  11. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I don't see how you can infer that. Both Nikkis are hot, but no Buff.

12. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Well, Nikki was in New York so how would the Master have seen her? Arguably he should be talking about another Slayer that he has met/seen.

Doesn't mean it has to be one between Buffy and Nikki however, the Master may not have seen a Slayer for centuries really. Which seems more likely to me, he's not talking about a recent Slayer, just the last one he met. Or maybe I'm forgetting some piece of dialogue

13. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I was just trying to make a joke. Ethan's post could be read as saying Nikki is prettier than Buffy, meaning that there would have to be a less attractive slayer between them.

You're probably right in saying the Master was referring to a slayer several decades if not a hundred years in the past.

14. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Why did nobody twig that Spike had killed Robin's mother? When Giles was researching Spike in Season 2, he came across the information on Spike killing two slayers, surely it would've said which slayers? Then when Robin said his mother was a slayer killed by a vampire, why did nobody think maybe it was Spike and it would be better to keep him and Robin apart?

15. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    Well it wouldn't be in the history books that a Slayer had a kid. So they wouldn't know who he was when they met. Wood is a pretty common last name. But when Robin told Buffy who he was, I have no doubt she knew exactly who killed her. She just hoped Robin didn't. And Giles wasn't around to meet Wood until Lies. When he does, he immediately figured it out and said what Buffy kept quiet.

TriBel likes this.
  16. TriBel

TriBel Potential

I'm not sure about "exactly" but, I think she had a very, very good idea. I never quite understood why Wood didn't click Spike was a vampire while they were in the car. I know Spike was hunkered in the corner but no-one uses their mirror that many times (unless they're on their driving test). In addition, if she had concerns about Wood confronting Spike, why allow him to baby-sit Spike? And why not warn Spike (actually, I think it was mentioned to Spike in the shooting script). Apparently, Robin Wood is named after the famous film theorist. Proof perhaps that the writers and directors were paying attention at film school. Film theorist RW was an expert on Hitchcock so maybe that's why they introduced an element of ambivalence into the character (is he evil or not?).

Fool for Buffy and Priceless like this.