1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Soul Purpose - I don`t understand Lindseys plan

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by flow, May 17, 2017.

1. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

Hi everyone,

I was asking myself how Lindsay in soul purpose was supposed to work.

Lindsay tells Spike that he has visions and sends Spike at least two times to rescue people from vampires.

Spike does rescue these people. But how did that part of the plan work ? Did Lindsay really have visions ? Where did he get them from ? Or did Lindsay fake those attacks ? Did he use use actors ? If so, how did he persuade the vampires to take part in a fake attack ? Getting dusted is not really what a Vampire is after.....

Or was it just a coincidence ? Lindsay says "Oh, I have a vision of someone being attacked in a dark alley" and then Spike goes out and if you only walk dark alleys in L.A. Long enough you will surely stumble over a vampire attacking someone ?

I don`t remember if Lindsay told Spike about the parasite on Angels chest as well. But he must have because otherwise Spike would have had no reason at all to visit Angel in his Penthouse and check if he might have a nasty parasite on him.

And that makes no sense at all to me. The parasite harms or even kills Angel. That is what Lindsay wants. Why send Spike to remove the parasite ?

Can you please explain this to me ?

flow

2. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    It wasn't just about killing Angel- which is something Lindsey would want to do himself after all- but also fooling the Senior Partners at W&H; make them think that they backed the wrong vampire by making them think Spike was the prophesied one.

So Lindsey plays Spike off against Angel, manipulates him with a fake 'vision/champion' set-up (vampire muggings and a couple of other things he sets in motion) and eventually even saving Angel's life from the soul-leech thing.
    Plus its psychological warfare against Angel himself; a set-up for a righteous ass-kicking a little later on when Angel doesn't believe in himself anymore.

Of course it all doesn't end up working for a variety of reasons.

Carrie Hopewell: You almost made the episode sound logical :)
    flow:
    flow, BuffyBot22 and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  3. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

Thanks a lot !

I still don`t understand it though. Hope you don`t mind if I ask again.

I understand why he would want to make Angel think that Spike is the prophesied one. Angel doen`t believe in himself anymore and that of course weakens him. Okay. But the Senior Partners ? They already think there are two candidates now, but what is it to them if they think it is Spike instead of Angel ? They might take away the CEO position from Angel but honestly he does not want that anyway. And Spike wouldn`t want it either.

But he tries to use the fail-safe to kill Angel in the very next episode. That is not killing Angel himself plus it might have worked if he had not removed the parasite one episode earlier because Angel would not have been able to fight him Lindsey in the basement of Wolfram & Hart. Actually this parasite, that leaves you psychotic oder catatonic or whatever seems to be a very suitable revenge. It makes absolutely no sense that he took so much effort in placing it on Angel and then send Spike to remove it ? I don`t remember the episode precisely but is it stated somewhere that Lindsay/Doyle told Spike about that parasite ?

I am still wondering how you set up a fake Vampire mugging ? Do you pay the vampires for getting dusted ? Do you use suicidal vampires ? Or is it just bad writing ? I am actually okay with bad writing. You don`t have to be always consistant during two shows with (together) 12 seasons and hundreds of episodes. I just want to know if it is a story line blooper or if I misunderstand something.

flow

4. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I'm confused too to be honest. I don't understand why Lindsay even came back. He was offered a big position in Wolfram and Hart in season 2, and turned it down. He was on track to have the keys to the castle and gave it up, for reasons that actually seemed moral. He seemed disgusted with what was happening at the body parts factory and seemed to have had enough of the evil life. He leaves on decent terms with Angel to go back to his roots.

So why come back a few years later JEALOUS that Angel is CEO?? That never made any sense to me. He seems bitter that they gave Angel "everything he worked for", but that doesn't fit at all with what he did in season 2. Lame lame lame in my opinion. Lazy writing I feel like, they threw continuity out the window

flow likes this.
  5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    But Lindsey WOULD want it; he's pissed that Angel got the job that HE should've had if he had stayed the course.
    Presumably Lindsey didn't get a satisfactory life during his little sabbatical and came back to LA to find Angel running things. Lindsey- as always- changed his mind again and wanted what Angel had.
    Two things define Lindsey; not knowing what he wants (see 'Blind Date' and 'Dead End' on the one hand and his total fixation on Angel on the other. Angel always seems to be so sure of himself (from Lindsey's pov) whilst Lindsey is often wracked with doubt; this makes Lindsey pissed more often than not.

This way Lindsey gets two things; something that should've been his and revenge of the guy who's constantly besting him.

That's only because the PtB sent Cordelia to help save Angel; to give him perspective and 'save him'. So then Lindsey firstly sends Spike to kill Cordelia and when that doesn't work he goes for the full-scale apocalypse melt-down at W&H HQ..
    'You're Welcome' is simply Lindsey improvising and reacting, not planning.

Pay them to kill this person at a certain time and don't tell them that Spike will be there to stop them. That doesn't seem that hard a thing to set up.
    However there is the matter of Dana and how Lindsey knew about that; perhaps he has access to some sort of scrying spells? (they do exist but aren't 100% )
    Not totally unreasonable given the amount of training he's obviously gone through and the magic glyphs all over his body; Lindsey's obviously got skills.

flow:
    flow and Carrie Hopewell like this.