1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike in Something Blue

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by GraceK, Jan 17, 2017.

1. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

so, during one of my thousands of rewatches, I actually noticed something in the episode Something Blue. When Spike and Buffy are under the married spell, for the moment they actually do love each other. And one of the first things Spike does is genuinely try to help Giles with his blindness, because " it's almost like your my
    Father in law isn't it". Buffy loves Giles, and because under this spell Spike loves Buffy, he will help those she cares about even though he still is evil and soulless.

So really, it's not surprising he repeats this pattern in season 5 and 6 when he actually falls in love with her. This really does seem to be a trait specific to Spike...the women in his life seem to shape his behavior, good or evil. I just found it interesting:)

GoSpuffy, Guy, GwenRaiden and 3 others like this.
  2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Something that I've always wondered about with this episode is, what became of the ring that Spike gave Buffy? It's been the subject of more than q few fan fictions, so I'm obviously not the only one wondering.

Guy likes this.
  3. Slayerofslayers

Slayerofslayers We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?

Yeah true. That is how I would expect him to act in a relationship with Buffy since he was always sweet and caring towards Drusilla when he was with her and he cared about his mother a lot as a human and as a vampire. And as you say he does act like that towards Buffy in certain parts of season five and six but then it changes as season six goes on. And it's why he forms that bond with Dawn is because he knows Buffy loves her so he comes to care about her as well and wants to protect her. He's always devoted to the women he loves. I think that sometimes the evil things he did while he was with Drusilla is because she enjoys seeing him causing chaos and mayhem and he knew it would attract her to him even more (especially since he had to compete with Angelus in the early years for her attention and affection) as when she leaves Spike and when she returns to him in "Crush" she comments on his deadliness as being one of the reasons she likes being with him so when he teamed up with Buffy and subconsciously had feelings for her she broke up with him. As we saw when he killed the slayer in the Boxer Rebellion Drusilla was all over him and was proud of him lol.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 17, 2017 ---
    I'm not sure if Spike was different with Buffy because he hated her for so long and she is his kind's enemy as the slayer and her constantly rejecting him (not that any of that is an excuse for the cruel way he treats Buffy in season six).

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think they should've ended Spuffy at Something Blue. I think I read somewhere that the original point of the episode was to show how ridiculous Spuffy would actually be.

thetopher likes this.
  5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Yes, I read that too. It backfired spectacularly though, because when people saw the genuine chemistry between Sarah & James, the ship just grew and grew from there..... ;)

Taake: What chemistry? :P
    Guy and DeadlyDuo like this.
  6. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Something blue is one of my favorite episodes. I don't know if that is when I joined the spuffy ship or not because it was so long ago I first saw it but it was probably a factor. They are great together in that episode.

Priceless and GraceK like this.
  7. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I know Spike gets a lot of hate, but personally I love him. I'm a Bangel, but that doesn't mean I didn't love watching Spuffy. When doing a rewatch, I feel like he was always a different kind of vampire. I really don't think the writers were just pandering to fans. Fan response was why they didn't kill him off, of course, but since he was first introduced he was always presented as somewhat of an anomaly. The way he acts in Something Blue just reinforces my opinion that Spike was completely ruled by the loves in his life, even under a spell he's willing to help Buffy's friends and fight
    On her side, even if he was soulless. Therefore, it's really not surprising that he repeats that same behavior down the line. :)

Priceless and DeadlyDuo like this.
  8. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I like Spike too. I didn't think he did get a lot of hate? I dislike Spuffy apart from in "Something Blue" because its an unhealthy relationship. In "Something Blue", although it was played for laughs, both Buffy and Spike showed respect for each other, unlike what happened in season 6.

GraceK likes this.
  9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    In "Tabula Rasa" in Season 6 they had a moment of healthy relationship as Joan and Randy. But their relationship was never meant to be healthy.

10. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I find really interesting that some of their best moments together are when they are under a spell

11. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    They are natural enemies - slayer vs. vampire. The spells in both cases made them forget that.