1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike's Space Ship

Discussion in 'Season 9' started by white avenger, Sep 10, 2013.

1. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

What did you think of Spike's ship? I'm not talking about the bug crew, I mean the fact that he actually had one in the first place.

Personally, I thought that it could have been a great gimmick to bring in on occasion, there available if he or Buffy ever needed it. I never saw any "Star Trek: The Vampire Generation" in it. I just thought that it was kind of unique, a twist in genre definition that Joss would have loved to develop in the same way that the original premise of Buffy, the small blond girl with the word, prime victim for every monster and serial killer in the movies, turning out to be the kick ass hero.

(And as for the crew, I always kind of wished that he could have brought the Spikettes over from IDE to augment the crew, just to see what Buffy's reaction would have been)

2. Moscow Watcher

Moscow Watcher Scooby

I loved the ship. I remember Joss' interview on Serenity, where he said that he could see Spike living in the Firefly universe.

I'd love to see the ship repaired (we haven't seen it after the crash - hopefully it's because the writers want to have option in the future seasons) and flying again.

3. Robb Stark

Robb Stark King in the North

Sineya
    Mixed feelings.

In the short-term, I found it and the crew entertaining. I thought the story it originated in was well-written, even if it kind of symbolized that IDW was a little unsure of how they wanted to conclude their run with Spike. Continuity wise I found it really confusing. I always found the process of importation of the IDW stuff pretty botched.

Long term, I find it a little silly. It's more than a little outside the premise boundaries of the show and the character. And it was a little representative of Spike during most of S8. For a character who was so well handled and developed in "After the Fall", that's all they had for him to do in S8? Arrive in the third act of an already highly confusing storyline? I guess I just expected a lot more.

4. Anca

Anca Potential

I loved the ship too! I found those two separate stories (Magical mystery Tour and The Alien cross-over) really funny. And some sort of a test run for the new Serenity comic just announced by DarkHorse (I think the artist for this is also Jeanty)

5. Black Eye Guy

Black Eye Guy Taking over the World!

Black Thorn
    It's everything wrong with the comics to be honest, they never would have had Spike driving a space ship with a crew of bugs in the show, it's just another example of no budget actually being bad for the comics.

thetopher likes this.
  6. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

[​IMG]

You know, there is a part of me that loves seeing Spike like this, just turned into a complete joke, an utter parody and it is quite a big part, I admit, but still, I'm saying it as a Spike fan, I'd rather see him expire. Lose his soul, be the Spike we all once loved one more time and go out in a blaze of glory.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    thetopher likes this.
  7. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    I loved the ship and the crew!

I'd love to see THAT, too. And how Spike would explain them (the Spikettes) to her... and Spider... :D "Bloody hell, woman, you've just been with Twilight!!!"

8. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I think it was MASSIVELY contrived and I hated it, it was a stupid way for the writers to 'get rid of' Spike for the majority of S8 and it didn't work.

The idea was stupid- an alien space ship in the Buffy-verse?- and then we had Spike hovering around, guessing who Twilight was right off but decideing not to tell anybody until he could sweep in and save Buffy. Dumb.

Y'know what would've been so much better? Have Spike figure out who Twilight is but get imprisoned before he can inform the slayer, he then manages to escape and bring word to the Scooby's just in time for the big end arc reveal.
    Would've made more sense and his character comes out not looking like an opportunistic jackass.

Both Angel and Spike were so misused in S8- regressing hugely back to being what we'd seen on Buffy. it was like Angel S5 had never happened.

KatPratt and Wesley Pryce like this.
  9. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

I also loathed both the bloody ship and those damn stupid bugs. I mean WTF?? This kind of idea was better suited to an episode of Dr Who and not the Buffyverse imo.

It was just too stupid for words. I mean Joss, WTF were you thinking??

Wesley Pryce likes this.
  10. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    It's definitely in my top 3 for the "Most WTF comic additions" list.
    Really didn't like it. Also, the point they chose to introduce it in season 8 had more than enough craziness already for my taste... I found it quite overwhelming. Pretty sure that was the point in the season where it started to feel like a bit of a chore to get to the end.

11. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

The Alien element wasn't totally without precedent. They had that alien (who did sort of look like an overgrown cockroach, which isn't much different from Spike's crew except that they walked erect, rather than crawling)) in Season 5. They just took it a whole, whole lot further in Seasons 8 & 9.

Having Spike be held prisoner would have been good in the fact that it would have quelled all of the "If Spike knew all that time, why did he wait as long as he did to say anything" objections, but was there any real assurance that IDW had agreed that Spike and Angel could be used at all by Dark Horse for anything more than just a quick cameo until the last minute? To me, the way that both characters were worked into the story line just seemed kind of forced.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Silverspike likes this.