1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Stunt Decline

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by brittles, Dec 27, 2016.

1. brittles

brittles Scooby

Sineya
    Does anyone else notice how significantly the fighting/stunt sequences decline after Sarah's original stunt double, Sophia Crawford and her husband (the stunt coordinator) left the show after season 4? Super generic fight scenes that look like almost anyone could pull off. Superhero fighting skills are definitely lacking from season 5 on.

2. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

No, at least not in season 5 (especially Buffy fighting on top of the bus).

3. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    No, they were just different. In the first 4 seasons, the stunts were very flashy, but it was also always very clear that it was stunt doubles doing it, so they seemed fake. In the last 3 seasons, the stunts seemed much more authentic - the stunt doubles weren't nearly as distracting. Just try comparing the Buffy/Angel fight in 'Becoming' to the Buffy/Anya fight in 'Selfless'.

I prefer the later seasons myself.

4. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

That pretty much both asks and answers the question. Stunt coordinators each have their own style, and no two stunt people have the same skills or capabilities. Also, there's the question of budget, maybe not so much in Season 5, since the aforementioned motor home fight was probably the most spectacular, and almost certainly most complicated and most expensive fight sequence in the entire series, but Seasons 6 & 7 were on UPN, where the overall budget per episode was almost certainly less than for the earlier Seasons.

5. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Season 2 action:

Season 7 action:

Maybe it's just it's late for me, but I'm not seeing a noticeable decline. (Granted, Buffy was never more incredible than in her final fight with Adam, but that was special done through the aid of powerful magick, and there were plenty of stunts to be had in fighting Caleb in season 7, and the climatic fight at the end of season 5 came close to the climatic fight in season 4, IMO.)

6. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I wouldn't say it declines personally, but you can definitely tell the difference between the fight choreography in the earlier vs the later seasons.

7. Dora

Dora Potential

Different yes but I did not feel they were any worse after 4 in fact may be gymnastic ? Jeff Pruitt got the sack after season 4 and implied nasty things about Sarah . There is a interview for the 20th anniversary where he says he posted harsh things about Sarah and blamed it on his excessive drinking, when in fact they had disagreed only twice. He ended his apologetic statement by saying That he always felt he should protect Sarah and the only thing he did not protect her from was him

8. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Huh, I actually thought this was about the decline of live-action stunt work in Hollywood. Like, out-of-work stuntmen/women and how they're frequently becoming redundant because of CGI or something.
    *pictures poor homeless stuntmen falling out of windows and jumping in front of cars with a hat in one hand to get money from passersby*

Anyway, the stunt-work on the show goes back and forth for me. I like both the earlier seasons and the later ones in terms of fight scenes, just for different reasons.
    It's really only in S1 where I can't actually spot the stunt-action person because of how its all shot and how limited the fight scenes are; in S2 and after the action become more ambitious so then the stunt-work gets easier to spot.

But that never really goes away; it just depends on the individual fight scene. For example I noticed in 'End Of Days' during Buffy and Caleb's final throwdown how easy it was to show the stunt doubles. And Season 6 has many poorly shot fight scenes/stunts.

I think in terms of 'wow, that was cool' factor Season 5 did the fight stuff best; but still never as good as Angel S2 onward, which was really good.

Dora likes this.
  9. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Haha, I'm so clueless, I wouldn't say I've ever paid attention to a sharp difference in the stunts. If anything I always felt like the one thing the later seasons really had going for them was that there was some more finesse to the fight scenes, it felt like everyone was more comfortable and at home in what they were doing. Maybe there were a few less high kicks though.

The only real difference my eyes have picked up on is that after Sophia left it started being more about making it look like "Buffy" was doing the stunts, and less of a "look what Sophia can do!" (she was impressive no doubt, was just watching Becoming pt2 and she does this kick where I don't even understand how you can move your leg like that, but it was always super obvious when it was Sophia on screen, which was sometimes distracting)

10. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I thought most of the stunts were pretty good, and couldn't notice much of difference in the later years. It looks more obvious that it's a double in the early years, but the later seasons have some real clangers in terms of stuntwork.
    Check out Buffy's arms. She's ripped as.

Guess the stunt double.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Her kicks are amazing! I kinda missed her high kicks, although I know what you mean about showing off Sophia. There seemed to be an awfy lot of unnecessary acrobatics.

11. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    lol I'm oblivious. I never really noticed the difference. But then again I usually don't even pay enough attention to notice it's a stunt double.

12. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

According to my google search WB paid about 1M per episode, while UPN paid 2.3M per episode.

13. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Then I stand corrected on my assumption that UPN paid less per episode than WB. Still, the change in stunt coordinators and stunt personnel would easily account for the difference in stunt presentation. Maybe there was some network policy or restrictions that effected the end result, or Joss just decided to move the show's emphasis from physical action to more "legitimate" drama, featuring character development, interaction, and conflict.

14. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Spike's stunt double was always the most noticeable for me, may be it's because he's quite lean whereas his stunt double seemed a bit stockier.