1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Ten Biggest Moments From The Sequel Comics So Far!

Discussion in 'Comics' started by gite63, May 20, 2016.

1. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Buffy Lives On! 13 Years Later, Here's The Ten Biggest Moments From The Sequel Comics So Far!

by Chris Harkin, May 19th, 2016 at 9:24pm

Today is the thirteen year anniversary of the final episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer being aired, and as all of us Buffyverse fans are still loving the show and the sass (why else would you be reading this article?) it's fascinating to see what's been happening to our favorite characters ever since.

You may be saying how is this possible? And the answer is comic books, my friends! For a number of years now, Joss Whedon and a team at Dark Horse Comics have been producing Buffyverse comic books that act as continuations of the stories in both Buffy and spin-off show Angel. Seasons 8–9 of Buffy have already been completed in comic form, and Season 10 is now only a few short months from completion, so let's do a little top ten countdown of the ten most incredible things that have happened ever since the comics started!

10. Vampires New Look!

This is actually one of the more recent surprises on this list. There was a whole thing about magic in the world going all crazy (and we'll get back to that later), but the main thing here is that for a little while, vampires didn't have any brains and were being referred to as zompires. Now they've changed again and can both walk in the daylight AND turn into bats! It's a whole crazy thing, but rather surprising.

9. Buffy's A Little Bit Gay!

This was way back in Season 8, when Buffy was still acclimatizing to her new life as part of a giant corporation of slayers. She had a little fling with a fellow slayer called Satsu, although Joss Whedon quickly reiterated that Buffy isn't gay, she was merely experimenting with this relationship (and it didn't last all that long). Still though, it was pretty surprising after no previous inclinations mentioned or even hinted at!

8. Buffy Becomes A Criminal!

Yes indeed, with the giant corporation that Buffy is running — which is worldwide — they needed a lot of funding, and Buffy kind of robbed a Swiss bank to get the necessary funds. She's also hunted quite often by government agencies, mostly convinced that the events of the Season 7 finale were her fault and that the whole Scooby gang are international terrorists. You know, general sort of stuff.

7. Magic Is Destroyed!

That's right, in the Season 8 finale, Buffy was forced to destroy an artifact known as "The Seed of Wonder," which controlled magic in the world. After that, there was no magic in the world for a long time, which resulted in the zompires thing I mentioned earlier, and ended when Willow helped create a new seed in the Season 9 finale.

6. Buffy and Spike Are Back Together!

Yes, maybe not all that surprising, but it certainly took some time before they did. They're pretty happy now, but there are always bumps along the road. Fortunately Angel has been able to accept their relationship, so it's all good on that front.

5. Harmony Is A Vampire Leader!

Now we already saw Harmony with followers at various points in the TV version of Buffy, but this is very, very different. At one point in Season 8 Harmony became a reality TV star and turned the world against the slayers, but in Season 10 she's back and representing the vampires in a truce that Buffy and Spike made with them to help stop magic being transformed horribly. Why her? Who knows, but she's being just as annoying as you would expect!

4. The Demon Responsible For All Vampires!

Yep, that is Maloker, one of the old ones. When the old ones were attacked and pushed towards the "deeper well" in ancient times, Maloker tried to stop them by creating the first vampire to do his bidding. Didn't turn out so well for him, but he was brought back at the end of Season 9 and Buffy had to defeat him, proving she is totally the best slayer of all!

3. Spike Owns A Magical Space Ship!

This is definitely surprising. Basically, when Wolfram and Hart, the big bad guys from Angel, wanted to escape this dimension as disaster loomed near the end of Season 8, (There was this whole big thing called the Twilight crisis which I will get to in a minute) they tried to commandeer a space ship capable of interdimensional travel, on which giant friendly bugs lived. During the attack, some of the bug aliens got away on an escape pod along with Spike, who saved them. He then took over the pod as his ship with the alien bugs as his crew and commanded it for a time before it was destroyed in a fight involving the guardians of the Easter Island Hellmouth (that's a whole other can of worms).

2. Giles Gets Killed By Angel!

Yeah, I know. It was probably the most heartbreaking moment in Season 8, or any of the comics. Giles was killed by Angel in a mirror image of the way that Angel killed his lover Jenny Calendar in Season 2. Basically, the Twilight Crisis that I mentioned earlier involved a villain named Twilight taking over Angel's body, and while under this influence Angel killed Giles to stop him from destroying magic (which would have stopped Twilight's plan). Eventually Buffy stopped Twilight, freed Angel, and destroyed magic anyway. Don't worry though, Giles came back after Angel and Faith collected the pieces of his soul, though he is a twelve year old version of Giles — it's all a little weird.

1. Dawn And Xander Are A Couple!?

NOPE! SO MUCH NOPE! This is the thing that will probably freak out anyone who hasn't read any of the comics, and it freaks me out to no end! It's definitely a thing, especially since the pair are now trapped in a demonic dimension together, and it's been going on for a while. Xander even betrayed Buffy in Season 9 to help their enemies bring magic back and save Dawn's life, though she forgave him for that after his actions did inadvertently save Dawn. But it's all a little too scary and weird, and we're not going to talk about it anymore!

That's it folks! The ten craziest and wildest things to happen in the comic book realm of the Buffyverse since the show ended thirteen years ago to the day! You can check out the current issues of both Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 and Angel and Faith in stores each month!

SOURCE

2. Priceless

Priceless I'll set something on fire

I wonder if this will get people reading the comics :)

3. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Actually makes me glad I don't read the comics. Besides the fact that I just don't like comic book format, these ideas don't sound good in my opinion. I've heard about most of them. They just don't sound like something I'm interested. Except Buffy and Satsu. Cause that gives me hope for Buffy and Faith :p. Maloker sounds like it could have been cool. Was it?

thetopher likes this.
  4. Priceless

Priceless I'll set something on fire

These are the first comics I've read since I was a child and I only read them because I love these characters so much and I want to see where their story goes. Not being a comic book reader, it took some time to get into them, but now I couldn't be without them.

Some of the arcs are better than others, but it was the same in the tv show. Would you not try the Angel & Faith comics, to get a bit of Faith in your life? ;) I read these too and they really are good, Faith kicks ass, but no love interest as yet :)

Maloker was ok, but I like the smaller stories, the character driven stuff more than the monster of the week/ Big Bad formula - they are fun but pretty predictable and I find the character driven stuff more compelling, especially in S9

GoSpuffy and Fuffy Baith like this.
  5. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Hey, it's not like the show is perfect either. Imagine a fan who stopped watching the show because Angel left in S3, then after S7 was over and BtVS wrapped up, decided they'd give the show a chance and heard things like:

10) Willow is gay!

What? But, Oz! Xander! What?

9) Joyce will die.

Momma NOOOOO! - Will Smith's voice.

8) Giles won't be a regular.

They're breaking up the core four?!! No! Nu uh! NO!

7) Spuffy will be a thing!

WTF? But Dru! Buffy loves Angel! Spike is EVOL! No! How?

6) Willow will kill two men and attempt to destroy the world.

Willow? Sweet ray of sunshine Willow? Have they gone MAD?

5) Joyce sent Buffy to a mental institution because Buffy told her she was a slayer before the show started.

Does. Not. Make. Sense. Have those guys even watched the show?

4) There is such a thing as kitten poker.

WTF?

3) Buffy will die for three months then her friends will bring her back to life.

Her friends are gods now? That's impossible. Death should be final. Who writes this crap?

2) 50 or so nameless potential slayers will live in Buffy's house. Then they and every single character on that show will kick Buffy out of her house. But she'll forgive them anyway without even talking about it.

No comment.

1) Buffy had a sister all along.

Okay, I give up. The show ended in S3 when things actually made sense. As far as I'm concerned, what comes after that is NOT canon.

Monkey Pants: That kind of is how I feel sometimes though lol
    Samuel Reyes: For reals
    HowiMetdaSlayer: The word cannon gets thrown around a lot, but (as Star Wars proved) what's considered canon can change. As for me only the series is canon & anything after 5 can be considered with a pound of salt. ;)
  6. Snyder

Snyder Potential

1. the world is perpetually endangered by the massive presence of vampires and demons of different kinds but everyone happily ignores it o_O

2. some ancient power randomly chooses a young girl, empowers her without her consent and tells her that she is the only one who has to fight against all that evil :eek:

3. the chosen one has a love interest too, a vampire. of course everyone knows from the start that he is a vampire (because why else would he be stalking her in the night)... everyone except the chosen one, who without knowing nothing of him (apart from the fact that he is hot and misterious) lets him sleep in her house with her and her mother :rolleyes:

4. this vampire has a curse, something with a silly clause that could only make sense if he knew it ;)

5. the Anointed One, everyone talks of this kid but he ends up being quite pointless and lame :confused:

6. a nice teacher in love with the watcher knows about the curse and the clause but she keeps silent o_O

7. vampires plot to burn all humans in the world, which are basically their source of food :eek:

8. the teacher finds her uncle dead but she still wanders in the night where she is an easy prey :(

9. the chosen one agrees to ally with another vampire and brings him home and leaves him alone with her mother :rolleyes:

10. an immortal and powerful being is not happy of being immortal and powerful, he wants to become a giant snake :confused:

When did things ever make sense on Buffy? :D

7. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    o_O

Still can't wrap my mind around those, too.

Snyder likes this.
  8. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I'm with @gite63

9. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I really hope you guys don't think what I wrote are how I feel about the show. I was talking about the general audiance, not me. I am huge Dawn fan, I like Spuffy, and loved Willow coming out as gay.

10. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I meant I was with Git63 that I think the show improved. I've got no problem with your post. Always love to read your thoughtful commentary :)

sosa lola likes this.
  11. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Maybe the show moments aren't as jarring and unnoticeable when you watch because the writing is so much better than the comics?

Plus they missed a few big moments:
    Willow dumping Kennedy and then dating a magical snake-demon magic-lady.
    Faith teaming up with Giles as partners, and getting all his stuff when he died.
    Faith and Angel teaming up in London.
    Whistler made his return.

All of those are bigger than Spike's stupid bug-ship or Buffy being a criminal for a lil' while.

12. Iwearthecheese

Iwearthecheese Scooby

*looks at list*

So very glad I stopped reading after the Twilight horror show...

Fuffy Baith likes this.