1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Gig going thread

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Mr Trick, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

So if you are going to any up coming gigs or have just been to one then post about them here.

What bands/artist are you seeing which you are looking forward to?
    What are some of your favourite gigs of all time and why? And do a quick rating of the last gig you went.:)

JCoatsworth and ItMustBeBunnies like this.
  2. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I've been incredibly fortunate in that I've seen just about every band I could wish to see and most of them more than once. I was a late starter as far as music goes and especially live music. My first proper gig was Good Charlotte at Hammersmith Palais back in 2005. I've made up for lost time since though!

So my last gig was a Less Than Jake and Yellowcard co headline show. Less Than Jake are one of, if not the best live band you can see. They have 20 years or so of material, will play what they like in any order they want and the energy is always through the roof. You also get the impression that after all this time they still love what they do. The banter on stage is genuinely funny and I had a blast. After an hour or so skanking, moshing and going crazy for Less Than Jake I retreated to the bar. Yellowcard opened with a handful of slow new songs that few people new. It worked quite nicely for those of us needing a break though. Once the set warmed up and got to Ocean Avenue material it was fantastic and some of the new songs were decent as well. So I'm going to say 9/10.

Favourite of all time is almost impossible. The most stand out is probably seeing the original Pennywise line up at Groezrock. I'd waited years to see them and thought I never would after Jim left the band. When he came back I decided not to wait and I'd travel to Belgium to see them and others. It was worth it. From the minute we got to the car park people were singing Bro Hymn and the whole weekend was fantastic. When they got on stage the place went crazy. Seeing and hearing thousands of people like that was magic.

Generally though smaller venues are my favourite. Streetlight Manifesto, Sum 41, The Unseen and Zebrahead have all played at Camden Underworld. Anti-Flag playing a free show at The Old Blue Last. Queued up for hours to get in and still have a friend from that day. NOFX playing The Decline in full at Reading during a secret set was special. Honestly there's too many to mention.

I've got loads coming up now. Slam Dunk Festival in May. Anti-Flag playing two gigs at The Old Blue Last on the same day in June. Less Than Jake & Random Hand in Southend in July. Can't wait!

GwenRaiden: You've listed so many bands I used to listen to as a teenager!
    GwenRaiden likes this.
  3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Have been to a number of great gigs over the years too.

If I had to pick a top ten, would maybe go,
    1. PJ Harvey, Brixton Acedemy, July 2004
    2. Radiohead, Birmingham NEC, November 1997
    3. Cat Power, London Queen Elizabeth Hall, April 2005
    4. Pavement, Brixton Acedemy, May 2010
    5. Sleater Kinney, London Mean Fiddler, August 2003 (my birthday!)
    6. Belle & Sebastian, Royal Albert Hall, June 2001
    7. Patti Smith, Brixton Acedemy, July 2004
    8. The Fall, Peterborough The Park, October 2001
    9. The Wedding Present, Liverpool Acedemy, May 2006
    10. Supergrass, Electric Ballroom London, August 2005

The last gig I went was Sleater Kinney at the Roundhouse in London and they were fantastic. My friend just booked us to see the second day of Field Day in London, which includes Patti Smith playing Horses all the way through, one of my favourite Albums, so that should be pretty special. On a similar note I just booked me and the same friend to see Garbage at Brixton in November. They are doing a special show to mark 20 years since their debut Album which I consider their best. They were one of my favourite indie bands growing up, Shirley Manson was my first pop star crush too, so it should be fun!

GwenRaiden: Pavement. Yes.
    GwenRaiden likes this.
  4. TotallySpiked

TotallySpiked Slaying

Black Thorn
    I've seen almost every artist/group I'd want to see. The only 2 that are missing are U2 and Billy Idol.
    Robbie Williams. Back in 2006 and 2014, Eminem, Katy Perry and The Madden Brothers.
    Meeting Benji Madden was one of the best things ever!

5. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Was Mean Fiddler the one with the raised floor in the centre and right next door to the Astoria? I ended up in a massive bundle falling off of there!

I took my girlfriend to see Robbie at a small venue (by his standards) in Southend. Not my usual sort of thing but he's a great live performer. It's a shame pop crowds suck so much.

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Its the same place yes.

Actually might have to change my list a little as there are a couple such as Neil Young last summer and the White Stripes in 2001 that could easily make the top ten:)

7. Nix

Nix Queen of Coffee!!

Sineya
    Seen...
    NiN
    Marylin Manson
    Placebo
    Kiss
    Ozzy
    Korn
    Metallica
    Sisters of Mercy

Fav gig was Metallica.....until I saw NiN... They are freaking awesomeness :D

gite63 and sk73 like this.
  8. ItMustBeBunnies

ItMustBeBunnies Bugger off, you brolly!

Sineya
    I've been to a lot of great concerts/festivals. Its really hard to pick favourites! I don't think I could do a top ten.....maybe a top 20? ;)

David Bowie
    No Doubt
    Foo Fighters (I've seen them 9 or 10 times now. I can't pick a specific favourite time though, they are always awesome :) )
    Prince
    Aerosmith
    Queens of the Stone Age (Seen them a bunch as well and they are always good, too :) )
    The Black Keys
    Kings of Leon
    Alabama Shakes
    Bloc Party
    Iggy Pop
    Rage Against The Machine
    KISS
    Deep Purple
    The Living End
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    PJ Harvey
    The Offspring
    Metallica
    Green Day

The last concert I went to was a Foo Fighters one back in February. They were excellent as always :) They always sound fantastic, play everything you want to hear and are really entertaining. I love Dave Grohl :)

I'm sad to say that I don't have anything coming up at the moment though :(

gite63, sk73 and Nix like this.
  9. sk73

sk73 The Overlooked One

Sineya
    I'm also quite happy with the bands I've seen over the years.
    Managed to see most of my favorite artists. Most of them not in their prime perhaps since I was too young in the 70's :)

Some highlights in no particular order.
    I skipped Swedish bands and those that doesn't mean much to me that I've seen on festivals and such.

AC/DC - Seen them a few times. Always brilliant. My favorite band ever.
    Black Sabbath (original line-up) - It was magical the first time I saw them doing the song Black Sabbath.
    Johnny Winter - A true legend. I'm very happy to see him twice.
    ZZ Top - Surprisingly great gig. Thought they would be a bit tired but nope.
    Status Quo - An all-time favorite band that are still great live even if they haven't made a decent album in 35 years.
    Motörhead - Solid band that never let's you down.
    Iron Maiden - Seen like 5 times. Great stuff.
    The Donnas - Traveled to Amsterdam to see them once. Have made many great friends thanks to this band.
    Eric Sardinas - Someone described him as Johnny Winter on steroids. Great guitar player.
    Metallica - I'm not a huge fan. But it was good show.
    Chuck Berry - Another true legend.
    Nashville Pussy - Also a great live band. Their records are not quite as good imho.
    Guns n' Roses - Unfortunately only the Axl Rose cover band version... but the classic songs was still great.
    Alice Cooper - Always fun
    Mötley Crüe - Not a huge fan of them either but I'm glad to have seem them live at least once.
    Iggy and the Stooges - He was amazing in absolutely crappy weather.

The only upcoming show I have at the moment is AC/DC this summer.
    Will not be the same without Malcom Young and Phil Rudd but I'm still looking forward to it.

/SK

RoxySilver: Chuck Berry! Must have been something!
  10. RoxySilver

RoxySilver Fan student

Black Thorn
    I like this thread ;)
    I try to go to as mush gigs and festivals I can, but I haven't seen many "legends", except for Patti Smith, Brian May and Robert Plant, but I liked all of those shows..

In small venues: Patti Smith, Charlie Winston, Of Monsters and Men, The Naked and Famous, The Babyshambles, Bastille, To Kill a King, Two Gallants, The Gaslight Anthem, Jake Bugg, Jungle, Stromae... and french speaking artists that might be less known on the Boards (Detroit, Grand Corps Malade, Renan Luce...)
    In festivals: Arctic Monkeys, Elton John, Queen of the Stone Age, Vampire Weekend, Brody Dalle, Trombone Shorty, Kwabs, Kate Tempest, Robert Plant, Brian May, Deep Purple, Foster the People, Paramore, Imagine Dragons, Blink-182, Mackleemore and Ryan Lewis, The 1975, Warpaint, Mo, Jimmy Eat World...

I love live music, and I can't wait for summer to be here and go to gigs and festivals!!!

Mr Trick: Really like Warpaint saw them a few years back.
    ItMustBeBunnies and Mr Trick like this.
  11. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    I went to Slam Dunk festival at the weekend and I'm still recovering! No voice, ripped jeans, bash on the head... the usual. The highlight was Zebrahead. Even though I've seen them so many times they still bring the party with them and the crowd was fantastic. The Wonder Years closing off a small stage at the end was great as well. All the crazy crowd surfers not deterred at all by the concrete floor. Special mention for Patent Pending who I'd never heard of before. Fantastic energy throughout, great crowd interaction and gave us a circle pit to the Friends theme tune.

Mr Trick: Yeah a friend of mine went to that also. Glad you had a good time.
  12. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Double Anti-Flag gig at The Old Blue Last on Tuesday was fantastic. Two great sets and met some cool people as well. This is me they're talking about on stage.

Mr Trick: Awesome stuff!
    GwenRaiden and Mr Trick like this.
  13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Tomorrow is the Patti Smith Field Day show where they will be playing Horses all the way through might just listen to the Album tonight to get in the mood. There are plenty of other awesome bands, Errors, Matthew E. White, Baxter Dury, Jane Weaver, Ride, Toy, Ducktails and Savages just some of them. Will have a few tough choices to make;) Gaz Coombes too I was a big Supergrass fan but have not heard any of his solo stuff yet. Should be a great day.

The Bronze: Clashes are such a pain!
  14. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Rock in Rio – Metallica, Sepultura, Alice in Chains, Ghost (2013), Rod Stewart, Ozzy (1985)

On top of my head:

Guns N' Roses & Gilby Clarke
    Judas Priest
    Slayer
    Aerosmith
    Kiss
    Slash
    Ozzy (again)
    Ghost (again)
    Motörhead
    Pearl Jam
    Iron Maiden
    Simple Minds
    Duff McKagan
    Whitesnake
    X

Loved them all; I got very surprised by Steven Tyler – what a great performer he is! The Kiss concert (I attended my first concert in March) was just great. My favorite bands are Guns and Metallica. Looking forward to seeing Metallica again this year, at Rock in Rio.

sk73: Ghost are quite fun. I've seen them twice but forgot them on my list.
  15. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Awesome thread idea! I love concerts!

Here are some artists I've seen that were really awesome:

Iron Maiden - I've seen them 10 times. They're my favorite band.
    Motörhead - 6 times
    AC/DC - 3 times
    Rival Sons - twice
    Joe Bonamassa - twice
    Anthrax - twice
    Slayer - twice
    Vintage Trouble
    Joe Satriani
    Guster
    Billy Idol
    B.B. King
    Buckcherry
    Queens of the Stone Age

At the moment, I've got two gigs upcoming:
    Rival Sons (July)
    Motörhead (November)

By far my favorite gigs were AC/DC at Hockenheim in 2009 and Iron Maiden at Frankfurt in 2011. The crowd in Frankfurt was awesome and I was just exhausted after the gig. You can watch this to get a small idea of what it was like. But it's a lot better (if you like rough crowds) in reality than what you see in the video, of course.

Some of the bands I still need to see are:
    Foo Fighters (they're playing today in my country, but I couldn't go because the festival is way too expensive and I have exams coming up)
    Volbeat
    Tom Petty
    Brian Setzer
    ...and I'd give anything to see John Williams conduct some of his scores.

ItMustBeBunnies: Sucks that you couldn't go to Foo Fighters :( Id love to see Brian Setzer too
    Mr Trick: QOTSA are one of those I've always wanted to see but never got around to.
    RoxySilver: Oh you've seen BB King... It'll always be a regret of mine not going to one of his shows.
    Mr Trick likes this.
  16. RoxySilver

RoxySilver Fan student

Black Thorn
    Caribana Festival (in Switzerland) and Rock Im Park in Germany last week / week-end...
    I'm still recovering, and caught a cold on the way (nice doing since in was 30 degrees Celcius).
    I saw Metronomy, and then Bastille both in Switzerland and Germany, which was cool since I love them!
    The highlight of the weekend was the Foo Fighters, even though the set was almost too long (I never thought I would say something like that).
    Marilyn Manson was a huge disappointment. I was expecting an engaging gig, something cool and at least a little bit impressive. It was none of that.
    Jamie T delivered nicely, even though he didn't really connect with the audience.
    Yewllowcard and 3 days Grace did a great job.
    Then I saw bit and pieces of different acts, Slipknot, Beatsteaks, Clueso, Enter Shikari, Mighty Oaks, Rise Against, or The Prodigy...
    I'm a bit bummed though, because Hozier was supposed to be there but he got sick. I hope he'll get well soon, I can't wait to see him live!

All in all, it was a nice musical weekend for my birthday ;) Good music, greats friends, nice weather, dirt and drinks... what else could I need?

The Bronze: This sounds awesome. Especially Rise Against and Yellowcard
    Mr Trick: Sounds good for the most part. Nice review too, oh and Happy belated Birthday.
    JCoatsworth and Mr Trick like this.
  17. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Oh, I almost forgot. In three weeks I'm gonna be seeing ZZ Top for the second time. The true Kings of Cool!

ItMustBeBunnies likes this.
  18. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    I saw NOFX at Brixton Academy on Saturday night. They were very entertaining as always. I took my girlfriend so had to stand in the "safe" zone rather than get involved up front but it was still good. They were in good spirits and Fat Mike looked interesting with his pink mohawk and matching dress. Played classics like Bob and Linoleum as well as some good stuff from recent albums.

Didn't think much of the support bands. The sound quality for Lagwagon wasn't great. Alkaline Trio just rattled through their set with no crowd interaction. Good for the die hard fans I suppose but pretty dull for me. Bar queue was ridiculous but fortunately you could get a 2 pint cup!

GwenRaiden likes this.
  19. RoxySilver

RoxySilver Fan student

Black Thorn
    I don't know if there are any other jazz lovers around here but I saw Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett at the infamous Montreux Jazz Festival yesterday. Well. Mind. Blown.
    It was really sofisticated and yet extremely simple. I was so impressed with Bennett's energy and Gaga's voice! I don't really think much of her solo albums, but this! This cheek to cheek album is pure joy. They were playful, and witty, and funny, clearly extremely happy to play there together. And the music was velvet to me. It was worth it!

Mr Trick likes this.
  20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Agree with you on Gaga as a rule. Just think Madonna did what she does much better in the 80s and I find her persona too distracting and she lacks consistency, but yeah this does sound like an interesting mix. Nice review too:)