1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Gig going thread

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Mr Trick, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    So, tomorrow is gonna be my third Rival Sons gig. If you like blues based, old-school rock, check them out, and try to catch them live if you can. They're a great live band.

If I or my friends take any good pictures, I'll post them here, if that's okay. Seems to me like we can use this thread for much more than just talk (or write) about concerts.

The Bronze: Post away! Just don't be that guy who never puts his camera/phone away at a gig
    The Bronze and RoxySilver like this.
  2. RoxySilver

RoxySilver Fan student

Black Thorn
    Agreed. Have fun over there!

JCoatsworth: Thanks! :)
    JCoatsworth likes this.
  3. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    @The Bronze Don't worry, I'm exactly the opposite of that. Most of the time I don't even have my phone with me, partly because I don't need it, partly because most of the concerts I go to are really rough and I've already lost my wallet and stuff at gigs.

Anyway, I don't have any pictures to share, unfortunately. If I see any in my facebook feed or something, I'll share them with you guys. The gig was awesome. It was in a small club, and it was sold out. The small venue was packed and it was hot as hell and the band kicked ass. I think they had some problems with the on-stage sound in the beginning, but they fixed it. I brought along three friends who were blown away. We were like one meter from the stage and sometimes I could hear the singer's actual voice, not just through the PA system. Simply awesome gig.
    I urge anybody who's into that kind of music to go and see them live.

4. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I'm the same. I have a cheap pay as you go phone to take with me to gigs. I must have seen at least 6 decent phones lost, stolen or smashed from different mates coming with me to gigs. That sounds like an awesome show. My next couple of gigs are in small pubs over the weekend and next week. Something special about small venue atmosphere.

JCoatsworth: Agreed. I can't even imagine what an AC/DC show in the 70s must have been like.
    RoxySilver: Small venues are the best. One of the very best gigs I attended was in a bar, 100 people made as much energy as 2000.
  5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

My mate got me and him tickets to see Belle & Sebastian at two concerts at the Royal Albert Hall next June, their playing their two first Albums all the way through one each night, so it should be pretty special.

JCoatsworth likes this.
  6. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    Here are two great pics of last night's Rival Sons gig that I found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. RoxySilver

RoxySilver Fan student

Black Thorn
    Last day of a Swiss festival yesterday. I got to see Patti Smith (again) playing Horses. It was pretty great, she's incredible. I wanted to start a revolution by the end of the gig ;) Joan Baez joined the band for a few minutes, which was nice.
    Charlie Winston wrapped up the day. He always delivers nicely, he's really charismatic. I've seen him in a small venue before and it was absolutely amazing, so I was looking forward to this. Unfortunately, the crowd wasn't really warming up, which was a drag.

I don't have any pictures, as my phone isn't any good, and I hate those people who watch gigs through their screens...

Mr Trick likes this.
  8. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Sounds great. Yeah it is really amazing how her passion and drive just keeps going so strong, and how fresh they sound every time I see them too.

Shame you couldn't get any pictures. Well I get what you mean about people watching gigs through their screens it does defeat the purpose of actually being there live and I don't think you can enjoy it to the full that way, but I do understand it in a way too. I mean memory is so fleeting and it is nice to take a little piece of the gig home with you I guess.

9. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Sad to report that at the weekend I experienced the worst crowd of my gig going life so far. A local free festival run by a friend of mine in the beer garden of a pub near my house. The last 3 bands were all the type of music I'm into a blend of ska and punk with a bit of pop & reggae thrown in. Including the head liners who I have seen probably 20+ times. Unfortunately because it was free and in Chelmsford (not known for any music scene) it was full of ****holes who have never been to a gig before. At least 5 people standing front and centre surrounded by people dancing were complaining about being touched and bumped into. IF YOU WANT A QUIET NIGHT THEN DON'T GO TO A ****ING GIG AND STAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FANS!

Anyway this eventually led to me being punched by an angry / brain dead woman. 10 years of gigs and I've never had anything like it. You normally get an incredibly happy crowd and the mantra is always to go crazy but look after each other. If someone falls down then you pick them up. Fingers crossed that the gig I'm at on Wednesday, where you have to pay for your tickets, the place will be full of real fans not tossers who've walked in off the street and mistaken the place for a night club.

10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah sadly it has become a feature of British culture than a lot of people just use getting drunk and being at a gig as an excuse to abuse other people. I've not really experienced anything as bad as that, but I know that at certain Festival's I've been to or at odd gigs than certain laddish types think than because they have paid their money than they can do what they like and are suddenly immure from the rules of socialty. Normally my experiences are quite good, but you still get your fare share of idiots ruining it for everyone else.

11. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    I'm excited for tonight already. Less Than Jake gig number 2 this year. This time I'm heading to a tiny pub venue in Southend. To make it even better Random Hand are the support act. Another band I've seen a whole load of times. It should be a crazy night :D

12. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    I had an absolute blast at The Underworld in Camden last night. It's probably against the laws of physics to fit so much awesome into one room. It was a sell out for a sad occasion. Random Hand are going on hiatus to focus on boring life stuff (wife, kids, jobs etc.). This was a hell of a send off though and hopefully it'll get them itching to come back sooner rather than later.

First up at 7:30 on a Sunday night were Faintest Idea. Just because they were starting though didn't mean they were settling for being a warm up act. They start playing their first song and the brass section comes out into the crowd and work their way to the bar while still playing and rounds up everyone to get involved. Suddenly it feels like a headline set with people skanking and moshing straight away. This did cost me about half a pint as I couldn't resist getting stuck in.

Then we had River Jumpers. High energy pop punk. The crowd didn't really know them but people enjoyed it and got more involved as it went along.

Sonic Boom Six really showed just how crazy the night was going to be. Everyone singing along, bouncing off each other. This is when the crowd surfing started. Suddenly during Piggy In The Middle the guitarist from Random Hand comes flying into the crowd.

Then Random Hand blew the roof off the place. They played probably close to an hour and a half which is really unusual for ska/punk bands. They went through all their best stuff. The crowd was insane throughout. Circle pit round the pillar. Crowd surfers and stage diving. We had a piñata full of sweets smashed. The singer joined us in the pit for a song. Guitarist played a song while laying on the crowd. An impromptu invasion from Sonic Boom Six to sing wheels on the bus. Finally for the final song Scum Triumphant half the crowd ended up on the stage.

JCoatsworth: Damn. Sounds like one hell of a night!
    GwenRaiden: Sonic Boom Six karma!
    Mr Trick: My guess is that they don't think Wife, kids are boring life stuff lol..
    JCoatsworth likes this.
  13. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    I'm not sure what the sound on this is like but it gives a quick snap of the atmosphere.

JCoatsworth likes this.
  14. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    I'm going to revive this old thread since I'm excited about some up coming gigs!

This Friday I'm finally going to see Sum 41 again. I was taking my girlfriend to see them for the first time 3 or 4 years ago but they pulled out due to injuries and addictions. Now they're fighting fit and ready to tear up The Forum in Camden. One of the best mid sized venues around so it should be a great show.

Then in March I'm going to see local heroes New Town Kings play in The Bassment in Chelmsford. Never been but I imagine it's a tiny little place and should be a great atmosphere.

In May I'm taking my cousin to see Busted. I was probably too old to enjoy them first time around but I did and I still like their stuff so I'm really looking forward to it. Just a shame that there aren't more of us going as the tickets were a bit steep. Then later in the month will be my 5th Slam Dunk Festival. I didn't think the line up was great to begin with but in the latest wave of bands Yellowcard have been announced and they'll be playing Ocean Avenue in full as a world exclusive! With Zebrahead already there and more to be announced it'll be another great day. Just need to talk someone in to collecting me afterwards as I'll be too drunk to drive and the trains suck.

Mr Trick: Forum is a great value I agree seen the White Stripes there and a couple of others.
  15. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    I'm going to my 11th Iron Maiden gig this May :) Their new material is great and I can't wait to see the new stage show and hear these epics live! Apparently, they're also playing an older song which they have never played live. Not sure if it's true, but if it is, that should be interesting.

16. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    That's always exciting if you get to hear something different! 11 times is a lot for a band that size, are their ticket prices reasonable or do they charge whatever they can get away with?

17. JCoatsworth

Black Thorn
    The prices are pretty reasonable for a band their size, but on this tour they're only playing festivals in Germany, except for one show in Berlin. The tickets for that show, however, cost about 20 bucks more than what they charged on the last tour. I think that might be due to the unusual location. It's called "Waldbühne" ("forest stage") and it's a (for their standards) pretty small outdoor venue.
    The band members themselves strongly support low ticket prices, but in the end it's still the promoter who makes the calls, which is why the prices may change a lot from country to country. I went to Paris on their last tour and those tickets were far cheaper.

18. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Got to see Yellowcard playing Ocean Avenue in full last weekend. It was awesome and so was the rest of the day. You can probably see my head in the pit in here somewhere.

--- Double Post Merged, Jun 5, 2016 ---
    This one you can see me fighting though the crowd as a I showed up just in time for this classic.

19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

This week is when I'm going to the two Belle & Sebastian dates at the Albert Hall. Tiger Milk and If Your Feeling Sinster are still their two best albums so to ghear both played live from start to finish should be pretty special. TRAH was the first time I saw the band in 2001 too, and that was a pretty remarkable show.

20. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Can we all just take a minute to appreciate the awesomeness of this stage at Slam Dunk Festival. This will be my 6th year and I'm already excited :D

[​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    @GwenRaiden no it's this guy.

MC Lars - Wikipedia

He's good fun and should keep us entertained between bands.

A mate wanted me to go see Rancid supporting Green Day at Hyde Park in the summer but it's just too expensive. Hopefully they'll do a headline show while they're over.

GwenRaiden: Whoa! Should be renamed Nostalgia Fest. MC Lars as in Frederiksen?