1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Gig going thread

Discussion in 'The Game of Life' started by Mr Trick, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Mr. Pointy

Mr. Pointy A sharp stick - it's true Watcher

Black Thorn
    Dearie me, I feel really old looking at this thread. I don't recognise the names of most of the bands, never mind having heard them. I don't get to many concerts these days but I am looking forward to seeing Woody Woodmansey's Holy Holy play Ziggy Stardust live in Sheffield in a couple of months.
    Just in case you young 'uns don't fully recognise the awesomeness of this for me, as a Bowie fan, I'll explain. Woody was the drummer in Bowie's Spiders from Mars and, along with Tony Visconti (Bowie's original bass player and long-time producer) formed Holy Holy as a tribute to their former boss. Originally they played songs from The Man Who Sold The World, a Bowie album that didn't get many of its songs played live, but at the end of last year they announced, as part of Hull's City of Culture year, they would play The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars live in its entirety at Hull City Hall. I rang the box office straight away and got tickets. Then Mrs P and I booked our "Holiday of a Lifetime". A couple of weeks after this, I realised that the concert was bang in the middle of our hols so I couldn't go. I was gutted. Then I got a second chance - they announced a short UK tour, including the aforementioned Sheffield gig...WOOHOO! I was even able to sell my original tickets for the Hull gig to a fellow fan who wasn't able to get them...so good karma and a win all round :)

2. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Forget not knowing the bands ^^^^ this right here is where you're really showing your age. I didn't know ringing the box office was even allowed anymore :D

sk73 and Mr. Pointy like this.
  3. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

The last band I saw live was L7 and they were amazing! Clearly I did not see them back in the day but I feel as though they were just as good as they were back then.
    Next gig will be Warpaint. They have a groovy sound so can't wait for a chill gig.

sk73 likes this.
  4. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    I have found a new Goddess. I NEED to see her. Her tickets sold out in my city in 5 minutes. And that is not an exaggeration. Country wide was sold out in less than a week, the tour dates are insane so I really hope she doesnt burn out! I am on the lookout for a local ticket. She put on her facebook that anyone trying to sell them for more than the original price of $49 should be named.

This is just a taste of her passion and skill. She tours world wide, keep your eyes out, tickets are still available in some countries.

I am in love. She is pure joy.

5. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    This was yesterday:

(Not my video)

I was there and it was absolutely amazing. I'm going again next week :)

6. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    The last gig I went to was to see God is an Astronaut. That was pretty cool but I felt old as I sat through the whole thing. I was big into live music in my teens and 20s. I've no idea how many gigs I've went to. I did see The Beastie Boys 99 World Tour when it was filmed for MTV. Filmed in my hometown because they have the best crowds, obviously. :D

I've somehow managed to see Electric Six 4 times. I didn't plan that, but there ye go.

7. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Next step watching Midsomer Murders and getting your bus pass ;)
    Are they good live? I was planning on seeing them ages ago but whoever was organising it never got round to buying tickets. Dance Commander and Gay Bar were classic party tunes.

8. Bluebird

Black Thorn
    I can't wait to get a bus pass :p

They are one of the best bands for live performance, no joke, and I've been to see a lot of famous rock bands to compare lol. They love putting on a show and the gigs feel like parties!

The Bronze likes this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Seeing Beastie Boys at a MTV sounds very old school indeed (even though it is still in recent memory;)). Would have loved to have seen them in their prime. In Carrie Brownstein's memoir she's tells a story about seeing Madonna supported by the Beasties in the 80s!:)

10. Bluebird

Black Thorn
    They were fantastic. I know it sounds like a long time ago, but it was actually my first gig! There were some benefits of a father in the music industry.

11. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    Last concert I saw was Seether in 2015. I had VIP tickets and met the band. I was supposed to see Nickelback at the end of last year but I returned home from England and missed out.

Best concerts I've seen:
    1. Nickelback 2009 (Sick Puppies opened up and they were AMAZING) NB's crowd talk was hilarious and I got to see my drum hero in action. Oh how I fan girled.
    2. Paramore 2013 (part of the Soundwave Festival)
    3. Nickelback 2012
    4. Seether 2015
    5. Sum 41 2013 (also part of Soundwave)
    6. Bullet for my Valentine 2013 (Soundwave)
    7. Pink 2013
    8. Foo Fighters 2011 (although I don't remember much apart from trying to stay upright. The mosh pit was brutal. Calling All Cars, F***ed Up, and Tenacious D opened up)
    9. Paramore 2014 (I wanted to walk out they were that bad)
    10. Linkin Park 2010- when they released A Thousand Suns album. There were about 100 people who walked out at one point when they were playing The Messenger. Poor crowd talk and overall just their set list wasn't as great as what I expected.

Generally I try and see one band every year. I broke tradition last year but oh well.

12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The last two I saw were the Belle & Sebastian double header at the Royal Albert Hall last summer. So its been awhile. Might see Warpaint in Brighton end of March. Last time I saw them in Leeds a few years ago they really good.:)

13. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Still on my list. I've been a fan for years, but they're not visiting Germany as frequently as my other favorite bands :(

14. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Seeing these again in 2 weeks :)
    I saw them headline Sonisphere in 2009 and they sucked there as well. They had a side project interrupt and play rubbish in the middle. Didn't look interested and played trash from Minutes to Midnight

15. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    I'm jealous you're seeing Sum 41 so soon. I loved their new album. I couldn't actually see the stage when I was in the crowd at 2013- I was on the other side stage so me and my ex could get a good spot to see Paramore (the band after) I really want to see them again. I hope they come to Australia soon.

Linkin Park was one of the headliners for Soundwave when I went. After the 2010 concert I was just all "nope". When I walked past their stage they were playing all their stuff from the earlier albums, so that was good. But man, have you heard their newest song???

16. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Making up for lost time. They pulled out of a tour about 5 or 6 years ago and hadn't played since. Got tickets when they came over last year though and this will be my 5th time seeing them I think.
    No I haven't heard their stuff since Minutes to Midnight. Didn't like that and it didn't look like it was going to get better. Heard they went into electronic dance or something like that.

17. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    Oh I didn't know that. I do know that Deryk went through his alcohol addiction around then... I'm glad he's better though.

Man, Minutes to Midnight is gold in comparision to their new stuff. I didn't bother with the last album. They tried to be rocky again but the mix was atrocious- like the drum sound was just awful! A Thousand Suns was bad. But their newest song is just scarping the bottom of the barrel now.

18. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    So this was awesome. If you look very carefully you can probably see a blur of me down the front somewhere:

19. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    I've been to a few festivals. Rockit 98 was my first I think? But after the last festival I went to, I vowed it was my last. I think it was Big Day Out or Soundwave. Blink 182 were playing. A friend kindly brought the ticket for me. Offspring played last and they were worth the day.

But after that, nah. I dont play well with young drunks anymore.

I would have probably nicked off to Nannup weekend just gone to see Tash Saltana if i hadnt been puppy sitting.

The last Southern Sound I went to was about 2002, I am not sure if its still going, but I'd do that again.

20. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    That was the 2013 Soundwave Occa. I was there too- I saw Sum 41, Paramore, Bullet For My Valentine a heap of other bands. I had worn myself out by the time Blink and the Offspring were onstage though. I still have my concert shirt from there :D I would of liked to have seen The Offspring though. I was so tired after the Bullet moshpit.

When is the Nannup music festival? I know one of the organisers, she came up to me while I was at PrideFest soon after I got back from England and was all "If you have a band, you should give me your details for the next Nannup music fest". If my band ends up playing this year, you should come! :p