1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Mayor

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by amberjane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Of course it's a lot to deal with. It's always going to be a lot to deal with. Her job as a mother isn't to make decisions for her, it's to help her make those decisions by herself.

What does that have to do with anything? Angel knew the shortcomings of his and Buffy's relationship, as did Buffy. They would have broken up eventually, but that's not the point. Joyce isn't Angel's friend or mom, so she should have expressed her concerns to her daughter, Buffy, and not Angel.

I don't think Joyce respected Buffy much. Maybe she would have gone to Giles.

Anyway, this is a lot like the Xander debacle in season 2. We'll have to agree to disagree.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    You said: Seems you are letting your bias towards the character cloud your judgement and just picking on every little thing.

Who are you to say my judgment is clouded? Or that I'm being picky? Everyone is biased, my biases aren't worse than yours.

Mr Trick: No I think she would have respected it. What she did was her way making Angel see sense and then if that didn't work she would have left it.
    GwenRaiden likes this.
  2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

So in other words even though Buffy would have been hurt more if it had ended later you still think that Joyce should have let happen. She was doing the right thing for her daughter simple as. It proved the right descion too.

3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Buffy still had unresolved feelings for Angel at the end of season 7, I don't know if this has been resolved in the comics but I think until it is Buffy will never truly move on from Angel. Angel's best bet would be to get his arse in gear and find a way to lift the gypsy curse whilst being able to keep his soul. When that hurdle is out of the way, he and Buffy can be together without the worry that he's going to change back into Angelus the moment he feels a little too happy.

Guy: Or Buffy could just, you know, move on like a normal person :)
  4. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Well, is there a difference, really? obsession and love aren't seperate things, IMO - obsession is simply a bad way of acting on love. I believe that Buffy loved Angel, but she was being obsessive about it. It doesn't make her love less real, but it does make it less healthy.

Buffy's story in season 2 is very normal (under all the big fantasy trappings) - she fell in love like a lot of people, and she lost herself in that love like a lot of people, and she eventually found herself again, in 'Becoming'. That's the point of season 2, IMO.

I thought it was simple - Buffy LITERALLY can't live happily ever after with Angel, because if he's happy he will turn evil. How do they even know that it has to be about sex? Maybe he could just fall asleep next to her, without any sex, and lose his soul because living with Buffy is perfect happines for him? Buffy and Angel were playing with fire by simply being close to each other in season 3 - even if they weren't being naughty. Buffy and Angel can't be together after they learn about the curse. It's a no-brainer.

Nopity nope nope. Buffy almost NEVER annoys me. I can count the amount of times I found her annoying on one hand - 'The Prom', 'Sanctuary', and maybe a couple of other moments. So, no, she's NOT okay in 'The Prom', IMO. The problem isn't the fact thath she's crying or being childish, the problem is that she's crying and being childish in a way that doesn't make sense given her history.

Again, I'm fine with the idea that Buffy will cry after a break-up, in general. I'm fine with Buffy being childish, in general. But it has to be part of her forward-moving journey, and in 'The Prom', Buffy is going backwards, and that is why it's annoying. It feels like the story turned back time and cancelled Buffy's character growth from season 2, just so it could give us another tear-jerking Bangel break-up scene, and that feels exploitative rather than moving. I hate it because it's the only time that Buffy is crying and I'm not crying with her (not counting humorous crying scenes, like in 'Triangle').
    And it's even more annoying, because it feels like Buffy's regression was done for the sake of Angel's character-progression (because he's the one who broke up with her, this time).

Well, in 'Lovers Walk' she broke up with Angel and she DIDN'T cry afterwards. I understand that she's not gonna be happy about a break-up, obviously, but there's a big gap between "unhappy" and "I can't breathe, Will, I feel like I can't breathe".

All (or most) of that can still happen if Angel only re-appears toward the end of the season.

It kinda feels like a less impressive version of the season 2 story... With the only real difference being that this time, Angel is the one who breaks up with Buffy - which is something that I hate, as I said.

At best, season 3 Bangel is just a less interesting re-iteration of season 2 Bangel. At worst, season 3 Bangel reverses the great story of season 2 Bangel. So, I really don't like season 3 Bangel (even though I like most of the individual scenes), and would gladly cut most of it in favor of ANY other storyline. The Mayor and Faith are just the storylines that need that extra time the most.

@Mr Trick :

Well, of course. :) I agree completely. I was just replying to @Priceless about why I think Buffy and Faith needed to be established as friends before Faith turned evil.

@DeadlyDuo :

Oh, I don't think Buffy was "not interested". I think she genuinely wanted to be friends with Faith too... Although maybe not as obsessively as Faith wanted.

5. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Mr. Trick, please stop telling people that their bias is clouding their judgment. Everyone's bias affects their opinions - saying that to other members is incredibly dismissive.

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I don't keep saying it, its the first time I've said it. But to claify what I meant is if someone never says anything good about a character and just keeps digging up scenes to use against them than that does make me wonder if they are unwilling to entertain the idea that they can have good things about them. There are characters I dislike such as Riley and Connor. But I still say good things about them. I praised the way Riley debuted on the show and how nice he was to Willow. And I enjoyed Conner's final episodes on Angel. Even the worse characters normally have their moments. Point is to me that makes me unbaised. I won't say it again though.

7. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    There's no rule that says you have to be unbiased. I'm incredibly biased when it comes to characters like Faith, Connor, and Kennedy. I hate them with a burning passion, and really don't care if they had any "redeeming" qualities.

Bluebird, brinkster130 and DeadlyDuo like this.
  8. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya

You can always walk away from a discussion if you feel it's going nowhere. But telling someone their argument is based solely on bias is like saying their view doesn't matter. Just try to remember that sometimes you have to agree to disagree - you can't always persuade someone else to your way of thinking.

:)

Bluebird, brinkster130 and GwenRaiden like this.