1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The next President is going to be...

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by The Bronze, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    awful! So now we have both candidates officially in place I'm wondering how worried people are. On the one side we have the very worst of the establishment and status quo. Corporate shill and warmonger Hillary Clinton who appears to have also benefitted from an underhand campaign to swing the election in her favour. Hated by Republicans and Progressives.

On the other side is the very worst of humanity. Representing racism, sexism, homophobia and bigotry. We've got people coming out and shouting about how God is on his side. I don't remember the bit about Jesus suggesting everyone acquire a huge personal fortune by squashing everyone in your path. Hated by everyone who can see through his man of the people nonsense and realises he hasn't got a clue what he'd do but could potentially be very dangerous.

Is anyone expecting riots once the result comes in? It's hard to judge the mood from outside of the country but it certainly appears tense. Or are we expecting everything to settle down regardless and just see what happens?

2. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    To me Hilary seems the more popular and credible choice but she's also the most divisive (because she's so corrupt), there are Bernie voters who simply refuse to vote for her no matter what. I suppose they would prefer the alternative in that case?

Trump is populist who uses vague slogans instead of policy in hopes that nobody will look at his lack of political experience (remind you of anyone?).
    On the one hand there are many old style life-long democrats who are going to vote for him, on the other he's hated by 95% of minority groups.

Personally I think Hilary the Shark wilt destroy Donald the Whale in any sort of political debate, the guy just can't argue policy, he isn't presidential. He'll just come across as a red-faced bloviating bully.
    The Clinton campaign machine is well-known for its vast array of dirty tricks- ironically many of which they won't even need to deploy for Trump.
    Meanwhile Trump will go for name calling and slander but we've already seen he has an incredibly thin skin when it comes to criticism.

I foresee his campaign imploding spectacularly before election day.

That leaves us with Hillary. Oh good god.

AnthonyCordova and The Bronze like this.
  3. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    South Park nailed just about every election in history and particularly this one in their episode "Douche and Turd". I think Bernie supporters and probably a lot of other unaffiliated people are just sick to death of being told to vote for one awful person so the other one doesn't get in. It's an awful control technique to use on people. Whichever one gets in they already have an excuse ready. Don't complain, you voted for them or don't complain you should have voted for the other one. I think a lot of people will vote for an independent or stay at home. Others will try to go for damage limitation.
    Oh yes. He's like Farage turned up to 11! The whole situation is very similar to the shambles we've got over here. Especially with the election rigging of the Democrats and Labour parties.
    I think he might get away with being completely policy free. I can picture months of him attacking Clinton and shouting about making America great again. With nothing inspiring coming from the other side he could pull off another shock.

4. Washburne

Washburne Protector of the key.

Black Thorn
    Can't say that I'm a fan of Hillary but over Trump most definitely. I'm glad I'm not one to vote even if whomever wins will make an impact on the whole world. I'm scared for real. (most of it that Trump will win).

5. ILLYRIAN

ILLYRIAN Druish Pervonian Wizard

Black Thorn
    Does it matter that Trump has no political experience, how many of the previous Presidents of America had experience of being in charge of a country before they became President.
    How many had passed an exam in how to run a country.
    If Trump wins how famous will he be, how many countries will refuse entry to him?
    Will he lose America its AAA rating?
    To stop the Clinton bandwagon rolling along, maybe Obama can be convinced to stay?

6. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    I honestly can't tell whether Hilary or Obama for the next four years would be worse.

vellavu likes this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Better the devil you know is the way I would look at it. Which one of them is least likely to start blowing up innoncent people for example?;)

For all her flaws, Hilary would be a far less extreme and risky option.

8. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Which one is least likely to start blowing people up? That would be Obama, as he already started that one, long ago. The guy makes me sick. Pledging to make "the world free from nuclear weapons" and winning a Nobel Peace Prize, all the while the Obama administration has built more nuclear weapons, more nuclear warheads, more nuclear delivery systems, more nuclear factories - nuclear warhead spending alone rose higher under Obama than under any American president. He's a liar and a fake. One of the biggest.

*continues rant*
    "But he's the charming and cool president!" He sends drones to slaughter hundreds at a time in places like Yemen and Somalia. He kills people usually on Tuesdays, according to the New York Times, when he is handed a list of candidates for death by drone. So cool.

Identity politics is a dangerous game. People have stopped examining those they are supporting, and their causes and politics. The same way Obama was lauded as "a first", Clinton will be lauded as the first female, regardless of her crimes and lies.

I hate politics. Collective movements and direct action are dying. It's a real worry.

OccaQuokka: ILY
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Some fair points. I still don't think that Obama is the monster that some make him out to be, likewise I do think that his reign in many ways has been a bit of a non-event. The answer of the two extreme versions of his run is somewhere in the middle for me.

I still think things would be a little better at least under him than under Bush. But there is no point is worrying about such things now. Its about looking forward, and the reality is that things could get much worse for the US under Trump or even Clinton than they have been the last eight years under Obama.

10. thetopher

Sineya
    Yep. Good episode.

Also Obama. 'Make America Great Again!' is 'Hope and Change' reheated and doled out idiocy. Just different people are falling for it.

vellavu likes this.
  11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But just about every person running for President has a slogan. Its just part of how the game is played. Things like that are the not the reasons to judge them.

12. wickedtiger86

wickedtiger86 Scooby

Sineya
    Yeah. I can't even with this political season. Also, I don't know if I've ever used "I can't even" before. But it's accurate.

My grandfather is for Hillary, my husband is probably going to vote Trump. I briefly considered writing in my dog on the ballot. It's all a mess.

I just worry that the country is losing sight of what it was made for.

OccaQuokka: Aussies draw dick and balls on ballot paper in protest, a dog sounds like the best choice yet!
  13. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Me and my other half argue about politics every single day. It's almost broken us up a few times because we are so impassioned. It's draining. We'll never see eye to eye. But we agree on the big stuff; war, racism, justice. He's hopeful, I am not. That's the problem. All of them are liars and criminals, none of them are squeaky clean. My dog farts more political truth than most politicians. I don't know where I'm going with this, other than how demoralised I am with EVERYTHING.

14. thetopher

Sineya
    That's not it though. They're both nothing but slogan. No policy, no real ideas, just vagueness.

The only difference is that the US media won't cover for Trump they way they did for Obama.

Really? Obama gave more debt, more government and more divisiveness during his term than many who came before. I'm not sure that's a 'non-event'.
    I think he was a non-event on the world stage though, apart from all the drone strikes. He sleepwalked through the Arab Spring, Syria/ISIS, Russia invading Crimea, North Korea sabre rattling, etc.

Buffy Summers likes this.
  15. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I will leave it to others better informed to comment on whether Obama had any real policies or ideas. But how about his medical plan. Does that not count as a policy?

I'm not sure about that myself. The media in the US like in the UK is largely conseative. And a major difference is that US media rather than challenging him seem to be just enjoying the side show which he is putting on.

It was my understanding that the debt was already at an all time low when Obama took office. Is it really as bad now as then? I'm not convinced myself, but maybe. Being divisive isn't always a bad thing though. Sometimes its a sign that the person in question was trying to push for change, but was restricted by a flawed system.
    This is fair I think. He was too weak on those issues for me.

16. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    It's not a great time for politicians but I don't think generalisations like that do anyone any favours. Sure politicians are all human and make mistakes but that's a long way off from all being criminals. There are good politicians out there who stand up for people, vote against wars and don't steal from the public via expenses etc. If you lump them all in together then you do a disservice to the decent ones and allow the awful ones a free pass to carry on as it's expected from all of them anyway.

Mr Trick: Totally agree, and they work for all parties too. It is just a shame that many of them get over looked because of the bad apples.
    OccaQuokka: I feel like what they know and yet keep covered, makes them pretty awful people, sell your soul to support evil, they had a choice, they chose the job and money.
    Mr Trick likes this.
  17. thetopher

Sineya
    One policy- like Trump's 'wall down south' doesn't really make for an effective platform imo.

Far from it, the US media is largely liberal- most of the TV News programs at any rate, and some major papers like the New York Times are far left as well.

I'll grant that news talk is mostly hard/crazy right, but I'm not sure I'd say that that makes the overall media picture balanced.

Imbalance is fine as long as you can recognize it and take it into account. The media never took Obama to take about anything during his first administration.

Trillions and rising? Obama spent a record amount when he first took office to get out of recession and is still spending. He then spent more to bribe many in his own party to pass Obamacare.
    The US is pretty much half-owned by China at this point- they're the ones financing the dollar.

It's another way of saying that Obama was a hardliner who refused to compromise on anything. Which means that the divided government gets nothing done. Say what you want about Bill Clinton and Bush but at least domestically they were able to negotiate and get things done across the isle working within the system.
    Obama was a thin skinned ideologue who would deem to 'lower' himself to bargaining with Republicans. Utter lack of leadership.

Mr Trick: Thanks for the insight. To be fair though you said he didn't have any policies. And as far as I'm concerned that's still one more than Trump lol.
    vellavu likes this.
  18. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

While definitely NOT a Hilary fan, I'd take her over Trump, any day. Trump kinda seems like dubbya on steroids.
    Having both him & Putin in control of 2 of the biggest (and somewhat opposing) military powers in the world, is truly frightening!

OccaQuokka: OOooh I keep tellin' people JOHN TITOR was real - nuclear war, coming right up! (Sorry I make jokes in the face of danger, and then hide until it goes away)
    Mr Trick and DarkLordsHaunt like this.
  19. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    One thing I wonder about is whether or not the Bernie supporters will take his message to heart and apply it or if they're just going to let the passion fizzle out. Like, will they be more inclined to vote in small local elections? Which is what needs to be done if they ever hope to see someone like Bernie to succeed. If one is simply "Bernie or Bust", did they really understand Bernie or politics at all?

Anyways, I know who I'm voting for and I'm not particularly scared about it.

20. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Not to mention spending all his time pointing fingers at others and blaming them instead of trying to bridge gaps, which is his job. As well as ruling by executive order which is NOT the way our government is set up.

vellavu and thetopher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.