1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The season 7 positivity thread! :)

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by Guy, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Let's be positive!

(Gif from: )

Too much negativity is bad for the soul. Let's try to look to the good stuff, okay?

https://media.giphy.com/media/ik1O4GCujIW2c/giphy.gif

I'll start!

- It has baby Felicia Day!

http://67.media.tumblr.com/cffa219a5854ff3c522b7aae6c520ee3/tumblr_msu280kDgT1r0pbyyo1_250.gif

- It is the SCARIEST season. Despite being a horror show (supposedly), 'Buffy' was almost never actually scary. In season 7, we suddenly got the ultra-creepy First Evil, who scared the bejesus out of me in episodes like 'Lessons' and 'Conversations With Dead People'. Yeah, sure, he wasn't the most consistent villain, but when he was on his A-game, he was TERRIFYING. We also got Gnarl, which was actually a bit TOO scary for the relatively lighthearted episode it was in, but was still positively terrifying. And then we got Caleb, who beat Buffy like she was a ragdoll, and had a fondness for, well, this:

https://67.media.tumblr.com/154b37b64e2250c610803778ceeca3db/tumblr_n01nipffiZ1sykpjyo6_400.gif

- It felt truly BIG and GLOBAL. More than any other season, season 7 really brought the sense of importance to Buffy's fight - we saw potentials hunted throughout the world (Istanbul, Germany, England...), we saw that council exploding over in Britain, we saw a huge army of vampire orcs waiting to sweep over the earth, we saw people from all over the world coming to Buffy for safety and to help in the fight... And in the final episode, we saw how Buffy's spell affected people GLOBALLY, as Buffy herself left Sunnydale behind her and went out to the world.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/54104ef871d46227c1d73d4b077e5570/tumblr_inline_nhf8zk6z4A1rrje9w.gif

- THIS scene:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ql0WV2Ib...JbT1HHkWl_rlpNiFs0qaWQCEw/s1600/Buffy-Him.gif

The MUSIC:

- This entire scene:

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/file...1827640362_tumblr_lem7dnPH6e1qcfba3o1_500.gif

:(

- The HISTORY. After seven years, every character had a ton of emotional baggage motivating him/her, and that made every single scene more powerful than it had the right to be. Something as simple as seeing Buffy looking at an old picture of her and her friends could make me cry. And when the past was tackled more directly, hoo boy:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uAYAe7j5...BjS_CLV1X-dRlsr1QQCEw/s400/buffy+selfless.gif

- Dawn's ode to anchovies:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9o9678CMZ1qgmt5yo1_500.gif

- This guy:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_WhL3jB-9...Qk/oHg9cx-xirI/s320/buffy+-+conversations.jpg

- Atheism is fun!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsfzancpcH1qgmt5yo3_r1_250.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsfzancpcH1qgmt5yo4_r1_250.gif

- Buffy's arc. Dear god, her arc. I'll never not adore the way this girl went from being that peppy carefree girl:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c4AVvKRM0...UtI8tRvTcmE/s1600/Buffy+becoming+lollipop.jpg

https://skylerandbuffy.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/becoming1-2.jpg

to being this devoted, hardened warrior:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3dcp6gQHr1qihsweo8_r1_250.gif

http://www.btvsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/sword.png

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx66/Angearia/Screencaps/Buffy Season 7/buffy705.jpg~original

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sse9B-jy_iE/TLJGIDj_JSI/AAAAAAAADCo/29GZ35irPvI/s1600/Chosen.JPG

https://media.giphy.com/media/eqqYYHIB0gCRO/giphy.gif

There's tons more, but this post is long enough already. What are your favorite things in season 7?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
    Priceless likes this.
  2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Unlike so many here, I never saw anything really all that negative about Season 7, with the possible exception of Buffy's friends betraying her, and her actually having to leave her own home. I did feel that some parts were either too rushed, or not properly developed. I would have brought Faith back sooner, even if it meant that she would have gone to LA with Willow to work out the Angelus mess (that might have actually worked out better, since it could have allowed the Faith/Robin relationship to have built up slowly, instead of being just a quick roll in the hay, then back to business as usual.)

Of course, if I'd had my druthers, and fleshed out all the stuff that I felt wasn't given enough time, it would have been the first apocalypse carried over into a second Season.

Fuffy Baith and Guy like this.
  3. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Ooh, you would have had this arc extended to season 8? As in, you'd have Buffy's forces defeated in 'Chosen'?

4. white avenger

Not so much defeated, as just have the issue unresolved at the end of Season 7, then carried over to the next year. It might have been interesting to have Spike still die in Season 7, then he and the rest of Angel's crew show up for the big finale. In fact, since it would be the end of both shows, and we're just dreaming anyway, how about a total "Buffy/Angel" crossover, running the whole Season, culminating in a monumental showdown involving he casts from both shows squaring off against an alliance of the First Evil and Wolfram & Hart?

DeadlyDuo and Guy like this.
  5. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Now you're just trying to make me salivate :)

6. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Well, I know that saying you enjoyed Him is the equivalent of me hearing someone say that TGIQ is funny :eek:, and I only watched Him once...but I thought it was funny!
    And I like the tackiness of Showtime :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Guy likes this.
  7. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    I love both 'Him' AND 'TGIQ'! :)

What made you think I didn't like 'Him'?

Carrie Hopewell: Not you, but most people here hate Him.
    Fuffy Baith: I like those episodes too, at least for comedy
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  8. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    Lessons stands out as a fantastic episode. It manages to feel a lot like classic Buffy but also does a good job of setting the scene for the new season. The dialogue is funny, there's plenty of action and the monster of the week is solid. We get to see Buffy, Dawn and Xander in a relatively happy family/friend dynamic and we get to catch up with Willow and Giles after the end of year craziness.

sosa lola, GwenRaiden and Guy like this.
  9. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    It's not Season 6. This is a big plus in its favor. The show found its humor again, and the writing/plotting improved.
    There is way too much plot and its not very well paced, but at least its GOING SOMEWHERE. After a season of aimless ennui this was great to see.

It starts well with Lessons. And The First's end speech is really chilling.
    Same Time, Same Place is good.
    Dawn feels like an actual character this season, she's great.
    Xander is also great, even if he's more of a background character.
    Faith returns. And is awesome. Ironically acting like a real voice of sanity amid all the other character bullsh*t.
    We got to see the Mayor interact with Faith again.
    Angel showing up.
    All the final episode is very enjoyable.

But I ain't gonna lie. There are big problems with Buffy's personal arc and how Spike's character is utilized. And how Giles isn't utilized very well. Nor is Anya or Willow as a matter of fact. There's lots of wasted potential in S7. (But we could've done with some more wasting of potentials...)

Guy: We CAN agree sometimes :)
  10. Priceless

Priceless I'll set something on fire

There's a lot to enjoy in Season 7. The opening is exiciting, a girl running throught the streets trying to get away from these hooded men, but the catch her and stab her. I can remember the shock of seeing that for the first time. All the big bads at the end, who did not love that?! It's a great opening.

Then it delievers on all those promises of 'going back to the begining' - high school, Xander dating demons, a souled vampire love interest, Willow back to being cautious about magic, the potential death of a love interest (Anya instead of Angel), Faith and Angel turn up . . . this season is so dense with character and story

Then it ends with an amazng episode that finally pays out on the message that it's been promising for seven years, and all girls are empowered, and we are left feeling happy and fulfilled and that we can all be slayers :):cool:

Guy likes this.
  11. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I am S7's biggest hater, but I'll play:

1) Lessons is the best season opener. I just adore it so much!
    2) Selfless is the best character study, and Anya's finest hour.
    3) Dawn in general is simply wonderful and useful.
    4) The first six episodes were full of beautiful Scoobies moments and I love them dearly.
    5) Xander losing an eye - I liked it, just hope it happened earlier in the season so we'd get more time to see Xander struggle and adjust with his new situation.
    6) Spike being Xander's roommate again.

12. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Love S7!!! I didn't love the potentials, there were too many of them and I just didn't feel connected to any of them but everything else was great. I would have preferred more Giles but he wanted to move back to England in real life so what can you do? When he was on screen he was perfect. When he came back and Buffy told him about everything he had missed and the two of them started laughing it was such a great moment. And crazy Spike trying to recover so that he can join the fight for Buffy even though he now wrongly believes Buffy can't love him because his soul is tormenting him, all the looks between them that melt your heart. Anja's death, OMG, still recovering. Buffy and Spikes hands on fire and the look on Buffy's face as she looks into the crater were both iconic tv moments.

Guy likes this.
  13. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Most people already agree on the faults of season 7, so it's good to see some positives. Hey, it's not all bad! I liked diving into the Slayer mythology a bit more. I liked the fact that The First only grasped the opportunity of power because of Buffy's resurrection messing up the world. Nice consequence. I loved Caleb, as a mini big bad. He is genuinely creepy. I liked the rollercoaster feel of the season, but I also enjoy that aspect of season 4 of AtS, so that's almost a given. :p I liked the finale, if I didn't think on it too much. Overall the season was a bit more upbeat, and Buffy seemed more like Buffy.

Carrie Hopewell and Guy like this.
  14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Conversations with Dead People and Selfless are two of the best ever episodes of the show. The former stands out as maybe Anya's best ever episode too.

The ending of the season opening is a great WTF moment:)

I enjoyed the return of the MOTW episodes. It was a nice throw back to the early seasons and a good way to carefully build to the main arc of the season.

Though it maybe Spike's weakest season I still like the loyality that he and Buffy show one another.

Introducing Wood and exploring that side of Spike's past made for a very interesting storyline.

No matter your feelings on Empty Places and the treatment of Buffy (or her treatment towards others), THAT scene is one of the most dramatic, brilliantly written, acted scenes of any during the show's run.

Faith's arc is beautifully completed.

Dawn really comes into her own.

It is pretty creepy at times:) And surreal which is always a favourite of mine!:p

Celeb is a wonderful Villain.

The First storyline at least in the first half of the season works very well.

15. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    Reading this thread is making me remember how much and why I love S7. I feel a watch through coming on......

Priceless, Guy and Mr Trick like this.
  16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

There are supporters. I still think S1 is weaker. And Lani off the Dusted podcast rates it as her fave season:)

Guy and GoSpuffy like this.
  17. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    RIGHT?!

Um, I'm not sure - which scene is "THAT scene"? The kicking-Buffy-out scene, or the Xander-Willow scene? Or, wait, are you talking about the Buffy-Spike scene in 'Touched'?

18. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Season 7 gave us one of the most ominous warnings throughout the series "From beneath you, it devours".

I liked Chao-ahn. I would've liked to see a lot more of Chao-ahn and less of Kennedy. Also Giles' picture cards were funny.

I like the episodes Him, Conversations with dead people and Lies my parents told me.

Spike's leather duster makes a triumphant return.

Mr Trick, GoSpuffy and Guy like this.
  19. Jam

Jam Pepper spray is just so passé

"Conversations with Dead People" is a great episode! And I think "Him" is a lot of fun.

The end scene of "Lessons" with The First taking the form of all the previous Big Bads is awesome! Actually, the episode itself is good and makes the season seem very promising.

I really liked Cassie, even though she was a minor character.

Buffy as a guidance counsellor feels right to me, so I liked that.

"The Earth is definitely doomed." is a sweet little callback.

That scene with Dawn and Xander in "Potential" is great!

I'm not sure how to fully articulate this, but I like seeing the Scoobies be in mostly confident and grown up places in their lives.

Conceptually, I like season 7; there are so many good and interesting ideas! I like the idea of making the final season focus on the slayer line/mythology and 'going back to the beginning' message given in the premiere. Also, the idea of a villain that can't physically do anything and instead can only do their harm psychologically is very interesting. I wont get into what I think about the execution of all this, though, in order to keep with the positivity ;)

20. white avenger

I think that this is one of the best elements of the Season. The Scoobies actually, finally, get to grow up. Xander has moved from temp labor into full time management, with a suit, no less, and Buffy has a grown up job, rather than what teenagers take after school to earn spending money. They even introduce the Potentials to make it doubly clear that Buffy and her friends aren't the kids anymore. Dawn even evolved into a responsible member of the team, though she did finally get her "Get out! Get OUT! GET OUT!" wish fulfilled, and, like most grownups, when their childhood dreams are fulfilled, found out that she didn't actually want it. Buffy even, finally, realized that she wasn't going to get her cookies baked anytime soon, and no more cookie dough for ol' Broody.

Guy and GoSpuffy like this.