1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The true flowering of Spuffy in S6

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by Anyanka Bunny Killer, Mar 18, 2017.

1. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Or just a door.

[​IMG]

GraceK: I love that scene and the song :)
    flow, GoSpuffy, Priceless and 2 others like this.
  2. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Hmm...Not sure. Wasn't Buffy an aberration in the Slayer line because she had friends? Wasn't Kendra surprised at this? Wasn't it the problem the Watcher's Council had - that Buffy wasn't in the traditional mode? Nikki's watcher hid her difference by covering up for her. I didn't think there was room for individualism. As far as I can see, there's a subtext in BT of Determination/Free Will and Chance. Angel's meeting with her was prophesised - what they hadn't allowed for was love. There's another that questions liberal notions of history - progressive and linear and introduces dialectical materialism (and yes - that statement bored me but - it's a valid one). I should think a serial killer imagines he knows his victim intimately - there would need to be a pattern. They don't kill indiscriminately - do they?
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 4, 2017 ---
    Nail. On. The. Head. As far as I can see, that's exactly what happens. It's not simply that they introduce the unconscious and change the nature of perception, they also start (and you have to be really sad to notice this) to introduce pieces of dialogue that were used earlier. So - when Spike and Buffy are in the car with Wood she says "He works with me" - Spike looks surprised. It could be coincidence (TBH - I've given up thinking it's coincidence) but in Crush(?) when he says "would you like it to be a date?" he says, "happens all the time to people who work together" (or words to that effect). Tie it in to the title and the episode gets bigger. Personally - I think it's devious - but I like it!
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 4, 2017 ---
    OMG - It's "Love Actually" - did he ever turn up with placards? :)

3. TriBel

TriBel Potential

And...so you're arguing the two are mutually exclusive - they're opposites: can't opposites attract? That aside, on the terms set by the text, "Ying/Yang is an illusion - it's completeness. And, while Buffy was "complete" in heaven, she was also dead. Light and dark - again, these are metaphors Buffy and the others use but the text doesn't sustain them. Spike, is comfortable in shadow and can protect himself in light. She refers to the light in Sunnydale as hellish. Touched takes place in the dark. Mirror images as a metaphor for a relationship suggests you've fallen in love with yourself - it's where the myth of Narcissus came from. My argument would be that while Slayer and Vampire are an issue - Buffy and William are not (obviously as long as they leave their work at the office and don't take it home!):). I'm being over-simplistic, maybe idealistic but not naïve. I don't like the idea oppositions can't be addressed. Vampires don't exist - so what you have is a metaphor for extreme otherness - Them / Us writ large. I like to think we can resolve oppositions otherwise it sends out the wrong message. We need difference but we don't need one term privileged over another. This was the logic behind civil rights, gay rights and women's right (obviously without the biting people - unless it's with consent - what other people do in their own homes is none of my concern)!:oops:Souls optional.;)

Connections - take a look at First Date when she ignores Xander to see to Spike. He's leaning against a mass of connected pipework. There's a sign warning it's gas. I infer from this "Take care - could be dangerous". This is true but I'm still cooking on it! :)

Priceless likes this.
  4. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

@TriBel, you should probably not reply to @Mr. Pole (neither @thetopher). He hasn't been around for a while so he might not be back soon to engage in conversation. And if you knew anything about him then you'd know to that you never know if he's being sarcastic or not. It's a fine line with him.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 5, 2017 ---
    That scene is straight out of the Bangel playbook. Seriously, it's so melodramatic. Guess that fits as Spuffy was straight out of a soap in S6.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 5, 2017 ---
    Is that the episode where Xander has a gaping wound and is bleeding out? And Buffy steps over him to get to the fast healing vampire with a boo boo on his head, not caring that Xander is freaking bleeding out? Disgusting.

5. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Okay - cheers for that. Yes - that's the scene. Thanks for framing your response as you have - it's made me rethink and another bit of the puzzle's fallen into place. :)