1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Wish: Why did Cordelia retain her memory?

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Forever Slayer, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Forever Slayer

Forever Slayer Never felt so good

Basically Cordelia wished that Buffy had never come to Sunnydale.

So if she never came then she would never have met Cordelia so the two should have no memory of each other. It seems to me the only reason she retained her memory is so she could tell Giles that this wasn't supposed to happen.

She should have appeared and thought everything was normal.

2. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Cordelia said:

"I wish Buffy Summers had never come to Sunnydale"

The specifics of the wish came true, she didn't ask for anything more than that. If she'd said "I wish I'd never known Buffy Summers and she'd never come to Sunnydale", that would be different. Plus we have to assume that Anya, being a very literal personality, performed and granted the wish literally and didn't take any other factor, such as Cordelia never wanting to know of Buffy, into account, because presumably as she was still a vengeance demon at that point, she didn't understand what Cordelia was actually wishing for. ;)

Mr Trick likes this.
  3. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Because it altered the timeline. There was the original timeline which Cordy Prime came from and she was pulled out of and placed in the new timeline. The real question is where did Fauxdelia go? That is the only explanation, otherwise, yes, Cordy should have forgotten about Buffy as well.

@Athena That's a good theory but ultimately I think incorrect. Even if Anya was taking it literal "she'd never come to Sunnydale" she did not do the first part of the wish in "I wish I'd never known Buffy Summers" as Cordy clearly knew and knows Buffy. The only excuse for the poor writing was a dual timeline, which would explain why Cordy was placed back at the time of the inciting incident when the necklace was broken versus being thrust days ahead to match the time spent in the wishverse.

4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But are you talking about inside the alternate Buffyinless Sunnydale or at the end of the episode when things are restored? Might have to rewatch the episode (never a bad idea:p) but I don't remember a suggestion in the alternate Sunnydale that Cordy knew of Buffy?

5. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn

The Wish

XANDER
    Well, what do you know? Cordelia Chase.

Cordy yanks herself out of his grasp.

CORDELIA
    What is this - some kind of sick
    joke? Harmony told me you were dead.

XANDER
    Now why would she say something like
    that? Let's think...

CORDELIA
    Whatever. Just - listen to me. We
    have to find Buffy. She'll figure
    out a way to save us. She was
    supposed to be here and - as much as
    it kills to say it - things were
    better when she was around-

XANDER
    Buffy - the slayer?

CORDELIA
    No. Buffy the Dog Faced Girl. Duh!
    Who do you think I'm talking about?

Mr Trick likes this.
  6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    And
    "No! You have to get Buffy. Buffy changes it. It wasn't like this. It was better. I mean, the clothes alone... But people were happy - mostly"

7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Thank-you remember now. So my best guess is that Cordy possibly would have heard about Buffy through Giles or someone like that. I mean since the Wishverse Sunnydale was even more overrun by demons than the one with Buffy in it, then its not so far fatched that Buffy's name would have come up. On the memory thing I take the same position as @Athena that Cordy's memory wasn't wiped of Buffy, its just that Buffy at that point had never come to Sunnydale which was Cordy's wish.

Oh and this has made me want to relisten to the dusted episode on The Wish to see what they make of it or even if they pick up on it;)

Athena likes this.
  8. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Cordy's memory of NOTHING was wiped. That's how she convinced Giles of the 'better world' Cordy remembered everything that happened in the 'real' verse when she was placed in the wishverse. But when she was placed (back in time) in the real verse she of course remembered nothing as it never took place because Anya's necklace was broken.

GwenRaiden and Buffy Summers like this.
  9. Squidprint

Squidprint Townie

My assumption was always that Anya's vengeance demon power worked specifically to allow the Wish Maker to retain their memory, so they could "enjoy" whatever they just released on the world. It seems like the alternate universe was built around Cordelia in that moment, so there was never a Fauxdelia to begin with, regular Cordelia is the primary inhabitant of the new universe, and everyone else's memories have been altered to accommodate her. Does that make sense? It would be similar to how everyone's memory was altered to accommodate Dawn I think.

10. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I dont think that would work because it was existing before Cordy got there. People knew things that Cordy and Anya did not know. People knew of Buffy and were wondering why she did not show up. Neither Cordy nor Anya knew to 'replicate' those thoughts. I dont think it was 'created' as an alternate universe... an alternate timeline yes, just like with Dawn.

11. Squidprint

Squidprint Townie

Oh yeah that's a good point. Anya does explain at some point how there are all sorts of alternate universes, like one without shrimp, so sure there's one where Buffy never came to Sunnydale. If that was the case then maybe the function of the wish was to transport Cordelia to the alternate universe? Maybe Cordelia switched places with Fauxdelia, and we just don't see that. Or maybe Anya took an existing alternate universe and "saved over" the world as they knew it?

But I don't know... I still think Anya's power actually created an alternate universe. Anya started with the existing world as a blueprint (one where Giles did know that Buffy was supposed to come to Sunnydale, as seen in "Welcome to the Hellmouth") and created from that, one where for whatever reason she ended up not showing up. Maybe she ran away from home the night before they were supposed to leave for Sunnydale instead. I feel like it works kind of the same way as when programmers write a computer program that prints out a piece of digital artwork or something, so Anya inputed the primary Buffy universe into her spell, and it created an alternate universe that she couldn't have imagined.

12. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    But then it would not explain (if I remember correctly) Angel feeling as if something were not right with the world. He was saying how he was supposed to meet her and help her and he felt like she should be there, etc. So there was some essence of Angel that still 'remembered' Buffy being there with him.

13. Squidprint

Squidprint Townie

Which could prove she used the existing universe as a blueprint. Maybe any feeling of Angel had about Buffy being in Sunnydale was a glitch in her spell. Though, Angel felt a connection to Buffy and wanted to help her before he met her, as seen in Becoming, Part One. I think that's what he's referring to during The Wish. Now I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch the episode!

14. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I was actually thinking the same thing!