1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

This season is good!

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Vilmundur1997, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Vilmundur1997

Vilmundur1997 Potential

Now, i've only watched Season 1, 2 and bits of 3, i decided to watch Season 5 for the hell of it and because i heard it was Joss' favorite, and i can definitely see why. My opinions so far:
    1. Tara's dad is an asshole
    2. I can relate to Buffy, what she is going through with her mom
    3. I kind of sympathize with Spike

InsectDirigible likes this.
  2. AnthonyCordova

AnthonyCordova Apocalypse Engine

Sineya
    There is a reason S5 is probably the second most popular favorite Season of Buffy. It's my personal favorite for a litany of reasons, but especially because it is much more "camp-free" than most of the other seasons and also because the quality is very consistent, unlike nearly every other season besides S3.

1. Agreed.
    2. I sympathize for Buffy greatly that season. S5 is more about human drama than anything else in my opinion...even the Glory arc is ultimately only about Buffy learning self-sacrifice and selflessness for her sister, something she couldn't understand before being an 'only child'. It's the mature season and season of choice for a mature audience. Season 3 is wonderful too but for different reasons.
    3. I kind of do too. I think most people who strongly dislike Spike feel that way mostly because of S6 and beyond. Or maybe I'm wrong, you'd have to ask one of them.

Enjoy the rest of the show!! (Don't forget to watch all of S3 and S4! There are many wonderful episodes in there!)

3. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I love season 5! What episode are you on? Details!

4. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

Season 5 has an excellent overall story.

The only bad thing is that the more you re-watch it, the more unanswered questions you find (I wouldn't call them plotholes, just things which aren't explained which become blatant after numerous rewatchings).

But even that doesn't change the fact that it's an excellent story.

5. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

Season 5 is my second favourite season (no guessing which is my most favourite) From the season opener to The Gift, it's like two different shows. It opens with Buffy sneaking out to patrol, needing to kill something, and it ends with Buffy killing herself to save the world. Everyone goes through so much this season, it's a miracle they fitted it into 22 (fantastic) episodes :)

Mylie likes this.
  6. InsectDirigible

InsectDirigible God-King of the Primordium

Mind if I ask why you've skipped S4?
    It's not the best season, with the finale and overall Big Bad arc in my opinion, but you're missing out on some neat character development too.
    Also, what S5 episode are you on? That one and S6 are my favorites!

7. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    So you've never known who my avatar is all this time? :p

8. Out for a walk

Out for a walk 5 Words Or Less...

I agree...season 5 is very strong. Glory is a great big bad and the Scooby gang really work well together this season. I hate seeing the times when they are fighting or Buffy has left them to fend for themselves..etc.

Plus...we get the start of Spuffy. :)

Priceless likes this.
  9. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    The main problem of season 5 was that it dragged out way too long...

For me, it marks a new era in the Buffyverse while season 4 was more of a transition period between the high school years (1-3) and the adult/college years (5-7).

Fuffy Baith and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  10. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    This is probably my problem with season 5. We get Glory in ep 5 but it's not until the last 4 episodes that she actually tries to do stuff. I feel like season 5 should have been more structured like season 2. The first half Spike is the big bad, then Angelus. Season 5 just feels too stretched out to me. It is the first season where the scoobies have to act like adults and deal with adult issues.

11. Dora

Dora Potential

Nothing wrong with season five in fact I think Joss thought Buffy was over at the end of five and gave us a proper ending for our hero. No1 episode for me is the Body , Sarah acting is beyond. Did not like what they did to spike from now on in and in seasons 6 and 7 , never understood Buffy not Staking Spike in No place like home , as he had tried to kill her in Out of my mind ( Sarah in the blue top to use Holdens own words Bite able ) why would she not stake him ? Spike falling down the open grave ...so funny why did they ruin him ?. No season 5 is the last true Buffy season ....watch and enjoy...Buffy dying a hero , make the most of it there is no fun in six

12. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    I love season 5. I agree that it was a fitting ending had it ended there. I quite like the sister stuff and Glory is a fun villain.