1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Thoughts on Season 2.

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by whitewolf, Sep 21, 2012.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf Potential

I finished Season 2 a few days ago and thought I'd share my thoughts. Overall it was a huge improvement over the first season. I really like that the show is heading in a more narrative driven direction as opposed to the Monster of the Week approach, which honestly has never worked for me outside of Power Rangers. I'm really enjoying learning more about W&H and the Senior Partners. Darla and Dru's return was great, I just wish the later had stuck around longer.

Angel- I hated him on Buffy, I like him here. He's starting to grow as a character. He kind of reminds me of Batman with his brooding, though. His whole "dark side" thing wasn't that great though, I kind of felt like it was Angelus-lite. And my feelings on Angelus are simply accept no substitutes.

Cordy- I like her! Gods she was annoying on Buffy. She was the kind of person I hated in high school, but she has really grown as a person and character. I think the visions really helped her mature as a person. I also find her funny and her interactions with her ghost, Dennis, make me smile.

Wesley- He's pretty cool. Giles is still my favorite of the Watchers (and second favorite character period) but he's still cool. I like how he is a better fighter than Giles, he isn't as smart, but he could probably take Giles in a fight. Unless Giles goes all Ripper than Wesley should just run. Wesley to me represents kind of a balance between Giles and someone like Angel who isn't as knowledgeable when it comes to books, but can still fight. Wesley isn't as smart as Giles and not as tough as Angel, but he's a good middle
    ground.

Fred- I'll comment more on her in S3 since I don't know enough about her yet.

Gun- He's not bad. I like him, he's a good foil for Wesley.

Loren- I know he isn't a main character, but I like the Host. He makes me laugh and he's a good resource for Angel.

Lindsay- How did he leave? I liked him, he was probably my favorite of the W&H lawyers, though his whole "evil hand" rant at their meeting was pretty funny.

As for my favorite episodes, really anything dealing with Wolfram&Hart was pretty awesome. The last three episodes weren't my favorite though, they felt like a side story better for a mid season arc than the season final. Though, I do wonder if there is a connection between the Covenant and Wolfram&Hart based on the books they found.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. Robb Stark

Robb Stark King in the North

Sineya
    I'm a big Angel fan pretty much all the way through. S2 in particular is pretty awesome though. The final arc in Pylea is generally pretty mixed. It's one of those things you either love or you hate. Personally, I really enjoyed Pylea and everything that went on there. I mean, both shows talk about other dimensions all the time, so it was cool to see them actually go to one.

I liked Angel's mid-season arc where he loses faith (heh...Faith) in the mission and just goes off the deep end. The scene where he locks the W&H lawyers away with Darla and Dru in the mansion was pretty intense. That whole arc was cool I thought. I thought it built well, and the scene where he tells Cordy to move or he'll make her was very powerful. It all culminated extremely well too, with him sleeping with Darla. And I really liked that they established that it wasn't just sex that turned Angel into Angelus before, it was Buffy. The entire arc with Darla was amazing. Him never loving her, but desperately wanting to save her so he can save himself was very good stuff.

The ending to S2 might be one of the best scenes ever. It's pretty heart-stopping when they return from Pylea with Fred, all triumphant and Willow is waiting for Angel. Just her saying "Buffy", and then credits, was an incredible way to end the season.

Character wise I think S2 really gets the ball rolling. From here on out, except with one HUGE exception, Angel has probably the best and deepest character cast I've seen. Cordelia is one of my all time favorite characters, Wesley is awesome and only gets better (and yeah, he would destroy Giles in a fight), everyone loves Fred, Lorne is gold and Gunn is rock solid too. Lindsey is one of the best parts of Angel. I love the overall arc he has.

As for Angel himself, I think he makes for a terrific leading man. I've always loved Angel as a character though (I actually like him best during Buffy S3, I think), so I've always been into him on his own show. And yeah, there's more than a little Batman there (although, if they fought, Angel would be done...)

Keep posting your thoughts! S3 is awesome too!

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  3. Kenimowy

Kenimowy Potential

Sineya
    Season 2 of Angel rocks. I LOVE the Pylea arc. It is so fun and and nice change of atmosphere and mood from the dark overcast throughout much of the season. Plus, seeing the Dance of Joy and Shame is just a magical thing :)
    And Cordelia can rock them skimpy princess outfits like nobody's business. I wish I knew what her fitness routine was!

4. drizzlydaze

drizzlydaze The Bloody

Black Thorn
    Does that mean you've finished BtVS S6 too?

To me, the fact that he turned dark without losing his soul makes it even better than Angelus. With Angelus, one can use the excuse that, well, he has no soul. Like an alter-ego, a Mr Hyde to his Dr Jekyll. But with dark!Angel, he just gets much more complex and morally ambiguous as a character, not just some brooding generic hero.

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  5. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    [MENTION=12094]whitewolf[/MENTION], do you know that it's Joss playing Numfar and doing the Dance of Shame/Joy?

I love season 2, my favorite Angel season. I've always liked Angel (the character), but on his own series he is so much more complex & multi-layered. I think that's a credit to the writers, directors, & producers that are not Joss. David Greenwalt especially. Joss has admitted that he doesn't "get" Angel, & the season 8 comics prove that.

If you liked season 2, just wait till season 3! :D

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  6. Wild At Heart

Wild At Heart the moon lights his way

This season is full of so many great episodes & Darla adds alot to the show IMO. Flawless season & love the Pylea eps at the end. Also the ep Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been is one of my favs. I love seeing the pieces of Angel's past & that episode broke my heart, esp. at the end.

7. Cordy_Chase

Cordy_Chase Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

Sineya
    I found season 2 to be very enjoyable with well written story lines.
    Darla having been resurrected human was very intriguing and the Pylea arc is one of my favorites. Angel's beastly transformation into what is said to be his truest form was fascinating and his interaction with Fred was really nice. I was very glad to see her in the opening credits in season 3, she's such a fascinating character who brings a lot to Angel Investigations.

Something has been on my mind. We know that the Pylea arc took place parallel to 'The Key' ritual in BTVS because when Angel Investigations returns from Pylea is when they find Willow at the hotel with the news of Buffy's death. So why didn't we see any Chaos on the Angel end when every reality and dimension was opened and pouring into each other. Perhaps it had not yet reached Pylea or LA?

8. Doppelgang

Doppelgang Always Believe

I enjoyed the development of all the main characters during this series: Angel, Cordelia, Wesley and Gunn. And the new characters are also interesting in Lorne and Fred towards the end. I think it was a great idea to have them in a different setting for the last few episodes, it allowed particularly Angel's character to explore new areas. He saw his true, pure demon side, and he saw what it was like to be a hero with no sense of guilt attached to it and being able to walk in the daylight and see his reflection.

The world of Pylea almost reminds me of something out of planet of the apes, with the humans being the slaves all of a sudden. I suppose the basic idea is a world where there are no moral ambiguities and dilemmas to contrast it with our modern world. People don't question their actions and their basis, they just act.

All very good, though sad with the ending and Willow being there to bring the bad news about Buffy, talk about a reality check.

Looking forward to watching season 3.

9. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Season 2 of Angel is probably my favorite season. We get the introduction to 2 new characters Lorne and Fred, who I love! As well as the return of Darla and Drusilla. For me, this is the season that drew me into the show. Season 1 was ok, it had some really good crossover episodes but aside from that it wasn't as engaging. Darla and Angel interactions and relationship was great. I love that he though he staked her, she's human and he wants to save her, until she's turned again. Angel firing everyone and going dark I thought was done well and shows us that he does struggle with being good and he doesn't know if he can handle it. I kind of felt bad for Darla when Angel tells her that he never loved her, cuz you can tell that shes hurt and that she did love him. He says that without his soul he was incapable of love but we do see that Spike can love, just not a true or selfless love. So I almost felt like Angel tells her to hurt her.

I actually like Lindsey this season, he bothered me the first season but he gets a better arc in season 2. The Pylea ending episodes I thought were awesome. I like that we get to see what other demon dimensions look like. It's nice for Angel to be in the sun and see his reflection and I like the idea of having his two sides separated to the extreme. Either he's in human form and can do normal human things or he's fully demon and turns into a crazy beast. Are we to assume that if Angel lived long enough that this is the beast that he would turn into? Cause on Buffy we see that if a vampire lives long enough they turn more animalistic like the Master and Kikistos. So I thought that was an interesting thing to do, it's nice to explore other aspects of demons in Angel.

Also I like the episode with Harmony and her interactions with Cordelia. This is my favorite season of Cordelia. Willow at the end of the last episode was sad especially after the gang comes back triumphant from Pylea. Although how does she know Angel lives in the hotel. Did Cordelia tell her or did Angel tell Buffy. Anyways, I love this season, and there is nothing that I would change. All the other seasons for me have something that I don't like but season 2 is perfect.

10. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Or maybe the openings of the realities and dimensions was exclusive to Sunnydale ?
    Anyways, you brought up a interesting point there.

11. Cordy_Chase

Cordy_Chase Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

Sineya
    Could be since Sunnydale IS the hellmouth. That actually does make a lot of sense thinking about it now.

12. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Rewatching the season, and really loving it - my second favorite (after S5).

Dark Angel is a very interesting character and his dealings with Darla, great. How she/her fate messed him up! Loving Wesley, Cordy, Gunn, Lindsay and Lilah, and, while I came to the conclusion that I think Drusilla is totally and absolutely annoying (I don't know how Darla puts up with all that gibberish, I hate it), I completely changed my mind about Kate. I have no idea why I didn't like her; she is a cop who is totally dedicated to her profession, and risks (and loses) everything when she gets involved with the supernatural business (and Angel). I'm glad that she didn't succeed killing herself, and the next time I read Angel: After the Fall, I will see her in another light, for sure.

13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Am rewatching this season now, and I think it is the best season. Think Angel as a character really comes into his own, Cordelia is at her peak on the show, Wesley and Gunn both grow as characters. Its possibly Wolffram & Hart's best season too. And Dru and Darla are fantastic together!:p

14. Dolores

Dolores Professional sleeper

It's my favourite season of the series. I'm rewatching it too. I find the first episode a bit slow getting off the ground. Also - Angel looks way more tanned than usual in this Ep!

15. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah Judgement is a bit iffy and for me Untouched is one of the worse episodes of any season. Besides those I think its pretty much a perfect season. I am wondering what I will make of the Pyra triple parter this time around? First time I really didn't get it, last time I liked it more, so this time it may become another OMWF;)

16. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I liked season 2 - even with Angel going dark there's a sort of innocence to it. Cordy, Wes, and Gunn manage to keep the season from getting too dark, and I really love Darla, and Dru.