1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unaired Pilot

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by TTFN, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TTFN

TTFN Townie

I finally watched the unaired pilot after having watched the complete series 6 times. It was good but I am so glad Whedon redid it. It was very strange watching someone else play Willow. It was also very Dawson's Creek like in the way they spoke. If you have never seen the unaired pilot I recommend you give it a try.

2. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I saw it a few years ago, and I don't remember much of it tbh lol. I liked seeing Jonathan in it, that was a nice surprise, but mostly I was just put off by Riff Regan's acting.

3. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I'm so happy they redid it, because the actual pilot was a lot better

It is an interesting watch though, it is like reading the first draft of your favourite book (which is already finished). Kinda cool that it's on youtube :)

4. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I always wonder what Riff Regan is doing now and what she thought of the show and specifically Alyson as Willow.

5. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Yes, she wasn't a particularly good actress unfortunately, but as I've said before I do like the idea of a slightly heavier set Willow. It would make Cory's insults make more sense and you'd see why Willow went over into magic. As not being able to compete physically she turned to magic's to help the gang.

Don't get me wrong I loved Aly, but I could have seen the other style of Willow wrong If it had been a better actress.

Puppet, ChaseRules and Foxy like this.
  6. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I really wouldn't have liked seeing the fat girl getting mocked - it just reinforces too many prejudices. That fat girl getting bullied and then triumphing is very Afternoon Special, IMO.

OTH - I really love the Giles from the pilot - they severely toned him down in the redo.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 9, 2016 ---
    Just looked up Riff Reagan - she actually has a fair amount of credits to her name.

7. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Oh I dunno. Back then (like now really) we rarely see less then perfect body size people being part of the main cast of something and using her body image as part of what drove her to do what she did would be interesting. The 'nerd' element that Aly's Willow used has been done to death and so having this side issue might have made things a tad more interesting to me.

Puppet and Dagenspear like this.
  8. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    BTVS in general is a show of pretty people. All the main characters are extremely attractive. I'm surprised they ever cast RR in the first place, and not surprised they canned her.

She wasn't a very good actress either, but she simply didn't fit the look of the show.

Heck, even most of the bad characters on the show are attractive.

9. Athena

Black Thorn
    Surely attractiveness is subjective though. What one person finds attractive, someone else might disagree.

Like I think Amber Benson is by far the most attractive female cast member. She's gorgeous (in my opinion), much more so than SMG or AH. But I recall some people weren't happy with her casting and thought she wasn't attractive or thin enough. I think she's pretty perfect actually.

Puppet, bespangeled and Mr Trick like this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I really agree. Guess she's a more down to earth attractive than SMG and Harrigan which is fine. Think in real life I would go for someone like Tara more, based on looks anyway, although I adore Willow as a character and love her look. Not that any of this crap matters. All that matters is whether we buy into Tara as a character and Willow's love for her, and its a yes for me on both fronts:)

Puppet, ChaseRules and Athena like this.
  11. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Yes in American TV attractiveness seems to trump acting ability, but when it comes to Buffy I think one less 'perfect' character could have fitted in without audiences dropping the show in droves. :D

Since the pilot Joss has been as guilty as any other of casting pretty stenotypes. Remember the whole casting Tara thing? Joss initially rejected Benson as not being the right body type to go with Willow. He had wanted a tiny "bird like" like person to be her girlfriend and thought Amber didn't fit that look. It was Marti Noxon that pestered Whedon and in the end persuaded him to look beyond the exterior and give her the gig.

Puppet likes this.
  12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yes, but I've said it before, if Amber is what is considered unattractive then there really is something wrong with the world:eek: Thing is I've always seen the "pretty looks" of the cast on Buffy as part of the whole empowerment/character subversion of the characters. As well as part of the humour. When you look at the qaulity of the cast all the way down the line then I doubt that they wouldn've cast anyone they didn't rate.

13. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    We may not all have the same personal tastes, but I think we know what is considered attractive in a general sense.

Even the ones that aren't my personal taste, fall into the category of pretty people.

I've never heard anyone say Tara was homely, maybe not as pretty as others, but not actually unattractive.

They also played with Tara's look, making her more attractive over time as her character blossomed. At least that's how it seemed to me.

Puppet likes this.
  14. Athena

Black Thorn
    I think that's fair to say. When we first meet her in S4 she's very shy, dresses a little frumpy and just seems to hide away from the world. As the seasons and her relationship with Willow and the rest of the Scoobies progress, she starts to dress differently and becomes more confident. That was definitely a conscious decision from the producers to show her character's development in a visual way.

Puppet likes this.
  15. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And I don't have a problem with that. It shows how Willow was a positive influence on Tara's life, and also adds to her character. I think they bought the best out of each other, its truly lovely story.

16. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

I always thought they dressed her character appallingly. I know Amber thinks the same, saying they seemed to choose clothes that were very unflattering.

In real life she is anything but 'stocky' but those damn clothes made her look like that.

17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But it was only for her first season. Whether you like or dislike her wardrobe after that it still became less typically frompy.

18. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

From the interviews I don't think the actress thought so.

19. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    What they did to, and with, Amber Benson in regards to hair, make-up and attire was a crime. They tried everything they could do to make her look common.

Zenseem and Silverspike like this.
  20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well all I will say is that if Joss thinks than Amber is unactractive then he is or was in cloud cookoo land:D
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 9, 2016 ---
    I think that's rubbish. They had a set warobe which was distinct to every character. Don't forget a lot of people have attacked some of the attire worn by the more attractive characters, Buffy, Willow, Cordy etc..

Athena likes this.