1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unpopular Opinions 2.0

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by vellavu, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I agree, but I just think its one of those which is meant to reflect a certain guy who a girl looks back on and wonders why she ever gave him the time of day. But then I guess a bit more thought put into the character might have made it a more credible storyline too.

2. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    You know from the beginning what going to happen & that he no good. Some more thought would have been great .

3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Oddly enough I didn't. I mean I assumed that he would only be like a stop-gap boyfriend or something of that irk, but never saw them going down the shallow, pig route. Maybe because they hadn't explored that area before and it didn't feel like a Buffy kind of thing to do. But I do agree he wasn't very convincing as someone who Buffy would fall for.

NeonNightLight and ChaseRules like this.
  4. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Oz never grew as a full character. Most of the time he serves only as a banter machine which randomly pops up with some witty comments.

Mr Trick likes this.
  5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I really enjoyed The Puppet Show. I thought it was on the whole a good episode. Whilst not the best in S1, it was an interesting twist on the 'puppet horror' trope.

Mr Trick and Priceless like this.
  6. Priceless

Priceless You're my dog, y'know?

The Puppet Show is my favourite episode of S1 :)

7. Dolores

Dolores Professional sleeper

The puppet show is brilliant! :D

8. Athena

Black Thorn
    So many people hate The Puppet Show. I rate it for what it is. Yeah, it doesn't really do anything for the story arc of any character, but as a standalone attempt at 'teen horror', it works quite well.

Mr Trick likes this.
  9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    The Puppet Show is my favourite episode of Season 1 because it compels you to think along with Buffy and the scoobies. And it has some of the best pure entertainment in it as opposed to some of the cringeworthy episodes. The only other mystery episode is Earshot and it is another favourite of mine.

Priceless: Earshot is a great episode too, and often overlooked
  10. Iwearthecheese

Iwearthecheese Scooby

Dollhouse is miles better than Firefly.
    I find that Dollhouse is taken on its own terms- faults and all- wheras Firefly has the 'martyr' effect of 'oh, it would've been so good if it hadn't been cancelled.' I entirely disagree- there are some really bad things in it and there are only 15 episodes.
    I do remember enjoying the Serenity movie but also finding it oh-so predictable. *SPOILERS!!*
    River was the 'child-like but actually a ninja warrior woman' trope, the Reavers were made by the Alliance by accident (which is why they denied their existance) and Mal just has to 'believe in himself' and he'll become a REAL hero. :rolleyes:

Season 1 of Buffy is underrated and criticised cheifly because of its poor FX. There's a lot of good characters, charm, cheesiness and darker themes. The high school as horror thing works well. There is a bit of 'are we supposed to care about this person' to some of the episodes, but S2 has that as well. To say it was 12 episodes and a very small budget the average quality is very good to excellent.

Angel got very crappy after Cordy ascended into heaven and only really improved post S5 'You're Welcome' (Faith 3-parters not included).

I seem to be one of the only people who prefers S6 Dawn to S5- at least she had reasons to bitch and whine about stuff by that point; guilt, isolation, chronic abandonment by everybody, feeling like she doesn't matter to anyone, etc.

11. Athena

Black Thorn
    I like Earshot, but I think the ending is terrible. We never find out why lunchlady Doris (or whoever she is) felt compelled to murder the whole school, or maybe that was the point and I missed it?

12. redruM

redruM Potential

I don't think season 4 of Angel is as bad as everyone says, at least up until Cordelia is revealed as the man behind the curtain. The first half of the season was pretty compelling, when they were just trying to go after the demon and didn't know how to stop it. That 4 or 5 episode arc after turning Angel into Angelus was probably the high point of the series for me, and the scene where Wesley says his farewells to Lilah's body was also very well done. That said, I definitely think it all falls apart in the second half of the season with Cordellia and Jasmine. However, I don't think that takes away from how good the first half of the season was. The build up was fantastic, it was just the shifting of gears to focus on Cordelia that made the season suffer.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Washburne likes this.
  13. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I agree that Season 1 is not that bad . Sure it got it faults but it was good enough that people keep coming back to watch .
    Plus the acting was pretty good in the sense that we cared about some of that people in it which was a big plus.
    I also think that Angel went down hill after Cordy ascended into heaven . The Faith ones were good thought .

And S6 Dawn was better. She had lost Buffy & then when she came back she wasn't there a lot which much have really hurt Dawn.

14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The Puppet Show is a masterpiece!!! Okay, I will stop now, but I do love it:p

Priceless likes this.
  15. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Another for the Puppet Show. I love it. :)

16. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I love every bit of S1 except the Master. I fast forward his parts except in Prophecy Girl.

17. Athena

Black Thorn
    Even the Anointed One? ;)

18. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

He didn't even cross my mind :D 'Cause most of his scenes are with the Master and I skip those, so.

19. ChaseRules

Sineya
    He had no drive . And by that I mean the Master seemed 2-dimensional. Couldn't really hate him since there
    wasn't anything there .

20. Dolores

Dolores Professional sleeper

I have to agree with this. First half of season 4 was superb. The Beast was incredible.

Washburne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.