1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unpopular Opinions 3.0

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by vellavu, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Uh, just a nitpick (not that I agree about the rest, but this specifically caught my eye) - Buffy's "I'm an enormous slut" line was actually a way of undermining sexist conventions (the "madonna/whore" thing, that you described earlier). Buffy puts up a "slutty" outfit, and says "I'm an enormous slut!", then puts up a "nerdy" outfit, and says "Hi! Would you like a copy of the Watchtower?". It's Whedon's way of criticizing the way society seems to present only two types of women as being possible - the "whore", and the "virgin". And Buffy' following line, "I used to be so good at this...", is a way of saying that both of these polar opposite types are essentially lies, costumes. I really don't think it's sexist. Quite the contrary.

[​IMG]

Carrie Hopewell and Priceless like this.
  2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

[​IMG]

I do agree with what you say.

Guy likes this.
  3. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    1. The only place Tara looked good was in the back of the ice cream truck in Restless. Enough makeup and being properly dressed and posed made both Willow and Tara look good - but this was the only episode. That corset dress in OMWF looked terrible and having her as a backup dancer beside the much narrower Anya was a deliberate effort to make Tara look bad. The rest of the time she was made to look like a deliberate frump.

2. Xander and Willow kissing when they thought they were about to be killed by Spike or starve if he didn't come back was not cheating. This was two friends who had known each other since kindergarten saying goodbye to each other. Their romantic interest in each other when they both had other significant others was ill-advised but did not rise to the level of cheating. Cordelia's reaction was out of proportion to the events.

cryptwarmer and vellavu like this.
  4. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    I personally wouldn't go as far as to say that's the ONLY time Tara looked good, but they did do their best to undercut her looks most of the time. The corset dress was BAD, and having her dance in the park scene and behind Buffy were horrible decisions.

I also thought it was/is a WAY over reaction to liken their factory kiss to significant cheating...BUT, I didn't watch the show when I was in high school, and had I, I probably would have been all self righteous and outraged etc etc. Some decades later it's like...pshaw...that's NOTHING. Perspective I guess. But also, Cordy wasn't the type to tolerate Xander so much as looking at another girl who wasn't as least as "hot" (in Cordy's mind) as she was. It was a double dose of ouch because Xander was "cheating" a loser.

Basically I agree with you.

5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    This thread had reached its limit, 4.0 is on its way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.