1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unpopular Opinons (non-Buffy)

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by HowiMetdaSlayer, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    The media did nothing wrong showing fit bodies. It's not fat shaming and people enjoy watching that.

2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Besides the odd crime drama I enjoy on ITV I agree that its pretty much desposible as a channel. I like the set up of the BBC and enjoy much of its programming, but I do think they need to take more chances than they do sometimes.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 28, 2016 ---
    Not sure anyone ever said it was fat shaming. Its only fat shaming if you have a programme where fat people are openly mocked for not being thinner.

3. Priceless

Priceless Mad Brilliant

ITV produces some great crime dramas. The recent In Plain Sight was very good, plus Broadchurch, The Secret, Scott & Bailey, Prime Suspect, Cracker . . . the list goes on and on. BBC are very high quality, but now and again ITV just beats them in story telling.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 29, 2016 ---
    American tv is very different to UK produced tv. In the UK we are used to seeing all sorts of body shapes/faces/ages in our shows.

4. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I love that, and it's not for any idealistic reason. It's just that it feels more natural. A lot of times I can find myself a bit jarred by US movies and shows because of all the cosmetics and looking too much like models (including scientists with advanced degrees!). I find it easier to suspend disbelief when there's a lot more variety, and it can also be more useful in making each character distinct so that I'm less likely to confuse one character with another.

Though what I really envy the UK for is the lack of advertisements compared to US media.

5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    One of the reasons I hate ITV so much, far too many ads! Saying this, I can bear them on Channel 4 because I like the shows..... ;)

Mr Trick likes this.
  6. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I don't watch TV at all. :eek: I think the BBC are scumbags, to be frank lol. They shan't be getting my money.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  7. Xin Rong

Xin Rong Killed by Dissertation

Will Farrel and Ben Stiller are not funny, they just do 'football in the groin' gags that should be reserved for You've Been Framed.

Democracy means that the majority of people are in control, but the majority of people are stupid.

Halloween is far better than Christmas.

Tim Burton just does weird films for the sake of being weird, there's no point to any of it.

Anyanka Bunny Killer: Absolutely agree.
  8. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    @Priceless , I agree about UK tv having a more realistic portrayal of people who look like real people. I love that. I get so sick of American TV and everyone looking like fashion dolls. It didn't used to bother me but now I find it kind of tiresome and distracting for some reason.

I relate more to normal looking characters. I mean yes, there are many beautiful people in the world, but there are many different ways to be beautiful as well. Maybe the thing is the narrow ideal of what constitutes an attractive person. I watch tv and I find many people extremely attractive even though they don't fit the narrow ideal and I know that I'm supposed to find that character not so good looking. There is so much more to being attractive than a certain type of feature/body/clothing.

@Xin Rong . I'm with you on the Tim Burton thing

Xin Rong likes this.
  9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    The one place, strangely enough, where actors are moderately attractive but not spectacularly beautiful is the A-list of actors. Is Tom Hanks the handsomest man in the world? Not really. How about Clint Eastwood? Again, handsome but not necessarily world-beating. Are Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock or Meryl Streep the best looking actresses? Again, not really. There was no season where Buffy was the best looking female character on the show. If you have ever worked in a large company, I am sure you have seen better-looking people in the company cafeteria every day than you see in the movies or on TV. The best-looking female I have ever met was an engineer at a company I was consulting at. Almost as good was a Korean girl in our Tae Kwon Do class who looked like a younger version of Tia Carrere. No one on screen ever looked as good as either of them. I don't have a ranking of this sort of thing and I don't believe in hit parades to see who is the prettiest girl any more than I believe in the hit parade on radio.

10. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Some people say that gender is just a social construct. But so are economy, society, community and pretty much everything else in our daily life. Things don't automatically get less important or less real when given a "social construct" tag.

11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Though I hate a lot of the programmes on 4 they at least have a more diverse range of shows, and are not afraid to take chances. I agree with @Priceless about the standard of crime shows on ITV but if you take those away there would nothing of note on there.

Parks and Recreation is more consistent than the US Office and maybe one of the best US comedies ever.

Bride of Chucky is the best of the Chucky films.

12. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Anything we watch off channels that show adverts we record & watch later (even if only half an hour behind) so we can fast forward the ads! ;)

I really have to avoid the ads...The PPI ones just make me want to throw things at the TV, & the Money Supermarket ones make me want to puke! :mad:

Mr Trick likes this.
  13. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Oh yeah, I can do that too. I just one of the reasons hate ITV :D

14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The HR storyline in Person of Interest is one of the most compelling storylines seen on televised drama during the last 10 years.

15. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Senator McCarthy was one of the greatest politicians in the 20th century. The "witch hunt" for commies was totally necessary and the only choice. I wish he had persecuted even more.

16. FaithsFollower

FaithsFollower Thank Goodness It's Buffy

Sineya
    I absolutely hate CaptainSwan and I am so glad I stopped watching OUAT because of them.

Mylie and DeadlyDuo like this.
  17. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I dislike CaptainSwan as well. It's literally only the first half of this year's season that I've gone "Hook actually isn't that bad now that he's started to show some decent behaviour especially towards Belle". Seriously, Hook shows more concern for Belle's well-being than Emma does. CS certainly shouldn't have happened before this season if it had to happen at all.

As you can guess I still watch OUAT and I'm determined to see it through to the end (which will probably be soon, either this year or next I think). The current season still has its faults but it actually seems a bit better than the two previous seasons.

18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Guys I'm a bit lost on this one. Who the hell is Captain Swan?:D

19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Serenity is much better than Firefly. I'm still not sold on FF and consider it the weakest of Joss's shows. It just doesn't grab me as much as Buffy, Dollhouse and Angel.

Dollhouse was the best acting lession Eliza ever had. By the end of the show her range was much wider than before it started.

20. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    firefly just never had the chance to get going....They had problems getting the Pilot episode accepted, & ended airing them out of order (If I remember correctly)
    then just as they were getting into their stride they got canned.....never really had a chance
    I think a lot of people think Serenity is what Firefly could have been......

As for Eliza...I agree, & I'm sure I've seen an interview where she states as much

Mr Trick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.