1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unpopular Opinons (non-Buffy)

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by HowiMetdaSlayer, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I guess. Its just funny that for me one film achieved more than 12 42 mins episodes. I take your point about the problems with the studio. There were things I liked about Firefly, but it just left me too cold overall. And maybe that sort of genre just works better in a film.

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I think that had a lot to do with Joss thinking he was getting at least two whole series to tell his story, so he could stretch things out a bit.
    Ok, so some of the eps were a bit weak....but same could possibly be said for some of the Buffy/Angel ones
    As for Serenity, he knew he was limited to the length of the movie.....and the budget was a smidge bigger ;)

Mr Trick likes this.
  3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Fair enough. I just don't see as much potential in Firefly as those other shows. But who knows what could have been:)

4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

CaptainSwan is a relationship on the show Once Upon a Time.

5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I find the early Harry Potter movies (1 & 2) a bit cringey. Emma Watson's acting gets on my nerves. She gets better as the series progresses though. Plus Prisoner of Azkaban is great... so I think it's just the first two I struggle to sit through and enjoy.

Mr Trick likes this.
  6. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. The first 2 Harry Potter films are painful to watch. Put me off the series. I only watched the films years later when the last one came out. Then even later listened to the audio books and was surprised how good the early ones are.

Mr Trick likes this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I agree with you totally. The problem with the first one is that it seemed too much like a safe television production, lacking in the magic, darkness or character depth needed for a good fantasy film. Oddly enough the most promising out of the three leads at the time was RG. Which is funny considering he is the one who hasn't done so well. Watson wasn't very good at the time. But I'd say that she is the best out of the three now.

The way it seems to work from what I can tell, is that if your a die hard fan of the books then you tend to like the early films more. But if you are more of an outsider then you tend to prefer the later films because their more cinematic and darker.

I don't have a problem with A list stars who are wooden or at least limited actors as long as they can do at least one performance well and they are cast either in good films, or at least films that work around their limitations. Two examples are Keanu Reeves and Richard Gere. Reeves is very wooden and monotone, but when he's cast as either a slick, attractive type (like his lawyer in the Devil's Advocate), or as a cyber nerd (The Matrix, or just a nerd in the Bill and Ted films), or in Point Break (a slick nerd;)) he's a pretty convincing screen actor. Gere has a little more of a range, but basically falls back on two or three different expressions (often to represent the same emotion). But when he plays scumbags (Internal Affairs), shifty rich dudes (Arbitrage, Intersection), or slick and charismatic (Chicago, Primal Fear), he is very watchable. And even more so than Reeves he has put together a very credible CV.

8. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Look how successful the likes of Roger Moore, Sean Connery or Clint Eastwood were & none of them could act their way out of a paper bag....... :rolleyes:

9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Really you don't think Connery could act? Have you not seen him in the likes of Marnie, The Untouchables or The Man Who Would be King? Not to mention that he was the most edgy and exciting Bond.

Outside of Bond and maybe the Saint on TV I don't think Moore has had much of a career.

Priceless likes this.
  10. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    :) Had a feeling one of those would get a rise out of someone.....

Not seen TMwwbK or Marnie, but I didn't rate him in the Untouchables....but I raise 'Hunt for Red October' in my defence.

ILLYRIAN: I didn't think they made paper bags that big!
  11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Is that the one where he does the dodgy Russia accent?:p Not seen it in years. Don't get me wrong he's been in his fair share of turkeys, but I still rate him as a actor.:)

12. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    That's the one.....It's a Russian Sub, but he's supposed to be Lithuanian or something like that.......Obviously the Scottish speaking part of Lithuania :)

Mr Trick likes this.
  13. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

The book was way better than the movie. BTW - I liked Firefly more than Serenity.

14. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    If we're talking Tom Clancey, I don't think any of the movies lived up to the books.

15. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And yet you don't like Dollhouse which is way better than Firefly IMO. A word outside please?:p

16. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

No way wade! o_O

Mr Trick: Ah another cute expression of yours and yes way wade!
    Mr Trick likes this.
  17. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    For real? Keanu Reeves seems like a nice dude but he can't act. His best acting was in Bill and Ted, because it's the only film he comes across as a human. I think he done a Wentworth Miller and sold his soul to be an actor, because I can't sit through his films without laughing. At least you're supposed to laugh at Bill and Ted...
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 17, 2017 ---
    They are pretty awful. Cheesy and overly sentimental. It feels like I'm watching a Chris Columbus film rather than a Harry Potter film, and that's no good. I find his style too broad and patronising to the audience.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  18. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I'm glad it's not just me. Everyone I speak to treats the HP movies as sacrosanct..... :rolleyes:

19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But if you think about it there's very little difference between Reeves in the Bill & Ted films and the Matrix or Point Break. In the Matrix he is playing a computer nerd who gets to save the world, and in Point Break he's basically playing a Zen surfer dude. Their all different kinds of nerds!:p He is a bad actor, a very bad actor I agree. But when he's cast in those kind of roles then he's at least watchable.

I'm not sure that's the problem. I think its more than he was too concerned about pleasing the fan base so just made a safe version of the books that didn't take enough chances.

20. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    It is the problem I have with it, regardless of critics or whatnot. Chris Columbus makes standard broad Hollywood trash - it you don't know his films you should see what else he has done. All his films feel the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.