1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Angel Right To Destroy The Ring?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by thetopher, Jul 12, 2015.

1. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    The Ring Of Amara that is.
    This question's probably been asked before but was it the correct choice? Was Angel right to destroy it, right not to trust himself with that sort of power? Or is he just addicted to feeling gloomy?
    On the one hand Angel knows himself and maybe knows what would happen if he kept the ring or relied on it too much.
    But on the other couldn't he have just given it to Cordelia for safe keeping? It's a useful, super-powerful artifact (and yes it might have had some drama-killing effect but, like the rocket launcher on Buffy, it could've been used only in an emergency).

Opinions?

2. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Mr. Broody just likes to brood :p

I think that the only reason he destroyed it was in order to make sure that Spike doesn't get hold of it.

As much as I love Spike, I wouldn't trust him with that ring, ever...

thetopher likes this.
  3. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

This thing has no right to exist - it's like nuclear weapons. Yeah, you can use them for excavation purposes or to stop a gas well blowout just like you could use the gem in a case of an emergency but man, it's not worth the risk. Also, every human that gets a hold of it becomes a target for vampires and since the gem is useless for a human the best thing to do in such situation is to get rid off it or destroy it. Could Angel keep it safe? No, not in the long run.

Mr Trick and thetopher like this.
  4. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Angel destroyed the ring, not just to keep Spike from having it, but to assure that NO vampire (especially Angelus) ever got their hands on it. Granted, it wasn't common knowledge that he had the ring, but, on the other hand, if he ever used it to any extent, the word would get around that he had something that made him immune to the sun and other vampire weaknesses (though I still think that decapitation would ruin his day)

Also, maybe, just maybe, he thought that having that extra edge was kind of like cheating in his never ending quest for some degree of redemption. Stupid idea, but that's the way that his mind would work, anyhow.

And, of course, there's always the "I gave this up because I don't deserve anything this good, as bad as I've been for the last couple of centuries," factor that Buffy just eats up. You can't count that out.

Anyanka Bunny Killer and Vigeous like this.
  5. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Too dangerous to not be destroyed; to easy to be taken (as Buffy did from Spike's finger), and too risk to be kept by any human, as it would put him/her in danger.

NightLady likes this.
  6. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

I believe the answer will depend on your subjective point of view. My viewpoint leans me to say that indeed Angel was right to destroy the ring. If Angelus got a hold of that thing, it could prove to be disastrous for everyone else. Remember when Angel was roofied, and was temporarily given pure happiness to turn into Angelus? What if something like that happened and Angel was wearing the ring?...Run

Smile Time likes this.
  7. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    We saw how well Angel got on with having extra powers and invincibility. I think it was for the best he destroyed the ring.

8. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Yeah, back when Angel had some self-awareness about his weaknesses. Where did that go? :confused:

9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I don't think him not trusting himself had much to do with it, but it was more to do with the reasons Angel mentioned, and because of the dangers if it did fall into the wrong hands. Another possible reason I think is because simply when you have been living as a Vampire for so many years and have accepted a certain calling and way of life then I don't think you see much point in a change. There were clear reasons for him keep the ring, but there were far more complications, so he made the right choice.

10. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think he rightfully did not trust himself with it - remember he did become Angelus more than once in the series. Not only would it make his people vulnerable to attack by any vamp who wanted the ring, it also made humans vulnerable to attack by Angelus or another vamp like Marcus.

11. laianna

laianna Potential

Agreed. Add in the potential for an unkillable Angelus and that's too risky. Angel definitely made the right choice.

12. NightLady

NightLady Potential

what she said :)

13. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think the actual reason is that it's unearned according to Angel's moral code.

He rejected becoming human for free in IWRY but was happy to be human via Shanshu.

The ring comes for free therefore he thought he doesn't deserve this.

Angelus with the ring is much less threatening than Angelus as W&H CEO. Angel's excitement in AtS S5E01 was an indication that he doesn't care much about himself holding too much power, though we can argue that early S5 Angel is a worse person than early S1 Angel.

14. Cordy_Chase

Cordy_Chase Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

Sineya
    Angel has been established several times to long for sunlight but was uncomfortable accepting the ring of amora because he regarded it as an unearned reward, just as he did the humanity he'd had obtained in IWRY. Relishing in it goes against his desire to achieve redemption. Redemption wasn't simply to take back what he was but to atone for his sins, something he felt he could only do in darkness (established in 'In the Dark' when he told Doyle that those in danger during the daytime have the police dept. to turn to) and with his vampiric advantages (Established in IWRY when he realized that humanity made him useless and a liability).

Even if he had meant to thrive on it, it was better off destroyed because it had proven itself to be safe nowhere and in no one's hands, even the hands of good by having been obtained by Spike in the first place and then traveled from him to Buffy to Angel to Marcus and back to Angel in a matter of days.

I've gotta say, ever since I first saw 'Cuplet' in season 3, I have to wonder if Angel kicked himself for not saving it for a rainy day as he watched Groosalugg get to be the hero and jumped all over by Cordy because it was daylight.
    I actually made this meme not long after:
    [​IMG]