1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was anyone else bothered by the show being set in California?

Discussion in 'Inside Out' started by S Rou, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    At least a beach might be a lake, we have a couple of those in my town (but yes a lake is not very probable in that setting). But ya the most logical thing is that both the beach and the marina were outside of town. Maybe Sunnydale is close to the coast.

Priceless likes this.
  2. EarthLogic

EarthLogic Class Protector

A lido, perhaps? My town has one.

3. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I must admit, I don't know what a lido is :oops:

4. EarthLogic

I think it might be an English thing. It's an outdoor swimming pool facility or a man-made beach near a lake. Like this:
    [​IMG]

Last Watcher: Is that Ruislip? I used to live near Heathrow......
    Blaze likes this.
  5. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Lido is a kind of a Public swimming pool complex..... :)

didn't Buffy go to the Docks on foot when she went looking for Faith......that must have been quite a run as when we see the crater that SunnyD became it's in miles of open desert......

Priceless: But that girl can ruuuuuun . . . . :-)
    Puppet and Priceless like this.
  6. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    With having no real knowledge of what the American setting is like, I can easily say that I was not bothered that Buffy was set California.

Puppet likes this.
  7. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I think Lost Boys shaped Buffy the Vampire Slayer in more ways than one.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  8. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

Kinda like Forks, Washington??? LOL ;)

Puppet likes this.
  9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    We know where they were - it was Chumash territory and near the coast:

[​IMG]

The Chumash extended from Morrow Bay to Malibu. The city of Sunnydale sounds a lot like San Luis Obispo because it is near the coast, it has one of the nine University of California campuses (with a respected architectural school), it has a population of 49,000 people (compared to the 38,500 people in Sunnydale), it has an airport (although it could not handle the DC-10 that Giles flew out on, I went there on a 19-seat Embraer Bandierante) but I am not sure about the presence of a beach (as seen on "Go Fish" and "Buffy vs. Dracula") or an oceangoing port where they tried to ship parts of The Judge or where Faith killed the deputy mayor. I don't think there is a single place that has everything Sunnydale has but that is not really necessary - the story matters more.

Priceless and Puppet like this.
  10. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    That's the point. It's ironic. That's why the town's literally called "Sunnydale".

Priceless, OccaQuokka and Puppet like this.
  11. OccaQuokka

OccaQuokka My arse is not pansy!

Sineya
    Is there no public transport to the ocean or docks? We had no need to see her sitting on a bus or train (except for the sad "now leaving sunnydale" scene in S2). There were definitely buses in the early seasons.

I am over 100km from the ocean, it's doubtful that will stop me doing more beach trips than buffy did in a hot summer. That coastal town also has a uni and airport and shock horror 2 malls! With a population of approx 40,000. I'd say sunnydale is believable to me.

Puppet likes this.
  12. Fenrir

Fenrir Potential

When do we see that Sunnydale was in a desert? Was it in season 7? There certainly seems to have been a geographical retcon.

Regardless, I like the brightness of the setting. I felt it fit well with the themes of the show.

Blaze: Ya it was the very last scene in season 7 when Sunnydale is destroyed, there's a wide shot of the cratter in the desert
  13. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Didn't bother me that the show took place in CA. What bothered me more so was how pristine Sunnydale High looked. My high school, set in the suburbs of a decent neighborhood in North America, looked like a jail. And this was just when cameras were started to be a thing, outside the main doors over a decade ago. The 'public' high school looked like a private school in the show.

14. EarthLogic

15. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    It is a real high school located in Torrance CA and was also used in Beverly Hills 90210:

[​IMG]

The school is located at 2200 West Carson Street in Torrance, so it is a real place and this is what it looks like when it is not being used as a television location. (I was going to say shooting location but that would have a completely different meaning in some areas.) When Sunnydale was rebuilt on the site of the old Sunnydale High, the new school was based on California State University at Northridge CA. Not every high school in the US looks like a jail.

OccaQuokka likes this.
  16. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

I think that was kind of the point. Also, Joss just loves California (specifically LA), evidently. I think this is pretty clear once Angel starts and Buffy becomes the bright and 'fun' show while Angel becomes the dark, broody show. Personally, the dichotomy works for me. I love the upbeat-ness mixed with the darkness. It fits the shows mantra perfectly too:
    Buffy, the = Comedy
    Vampire = Horror
    Slayer = Action

If Buffy had been set in Seattle, the ratio could've easily drifted too far into the horror category, but the bright, sunny vistas of (relatively) small-town Cali bring a nice balance to the show.

Priceless, thrasherpix and Puppet like this.
  17. TriBel

TriBel Potential

If you'd set it elsewhere it would have been a completely different programme. Californian sun means Whedon is inverting expectations.
    Look at how California is figured in the popular imagination- California Dreaming, California Girls - etc. Whedon uses some of this and inverts the other.
    Dark and dank feeds directly into the Gothic roots of the genre so there's no innovation there. The East coast has a different history than the West and this history is marked on its streets. New England has been colonised by Poe and King. BtVS needed the suburbs to comment on the American Idyll which, at the time BtVS was made, was probably located in the suburbs. Social relations between people are different in a massive metropolis than in a town or small city. People are transient in cities. There's too many hiding places. People going missing is the norm - not an aberration. Because of noir we tend to think of certain cites as dark. As a result you don't get the contrast between light and dark. Plus, I'm guessing the west coast metaphorically marks an edge in a way the east coast doesn't. Traditionally, people arrived in the east and travelled west in search of the promised land. California - in that sense, marks the boundaries of what's known. Vampires/Demons represent the unknown; a new frontier to be conquered.

Come on - can you even lurk in New York? :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Priceless and Puppet like this.