1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Week 3 - Abomination by Burns and Metz

Discussion in 'Book Club: Tales of the Slayer vol. 2' started by Foxy, May 22, 2017.

1. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    A French slayer: oui oui madam! In this thread, we discuss the short story Abomination by Burns and Metz.

Go Wild!

What did you guys think of this?
    What did you think of the writing style?
    What did you think of the historical information given in this story?
    What did you think of the main characters?
    Which of the three has been your favourite so far?
    What do you think of co-authored stories? Do you notice any differences?

Other comments?

Fun Fact: This duo has written a lot together such as the TV shows Roswell amd Roswell High!

I have been a bit absent this week due to personal reasons, but I am back and ready to discuss! I will respond to your fabulous comments of the previous thread :)

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Jeez.....totally missed this......will try & read it tonight (& number 4 as well :oops: )

3. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    No worries! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

4. Priceless

Priceless I am now

This is my favourite yet. It had adult themes and a depth the previous two stories didn't have. I liked the earthiness of it, especially the birth, and the killing of the townsfolk. On the whole I thought the story was really well written.

I liked the style, it was interesting to see Eliane's thoughts highlighted in italics. There wasn't a lot of historical information within the story, and it felt a little like a Grimm fairy tale, with an old cottage, dirt on the floor, set on the outskirts of a small French villiage.

The main characters were engaging, I liked the love story between Watcher and Slayer and how their love negatively affected their calling. I thought the brutality of killing the child was dealt with in a very adult and moving way. The vampire child was chilling, and the Slayer sacrificing herself was quite moving.

What I didn't understand was the significance of Isabeau's first word being 'demon', what was that supposed to signify?

Mylie likes this.
  5. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I think they were hinting that the Child was either born a potential, or maybe even as a fully fledged Slayer.......?
    The son had after all been able to communicate with a kind of Slayer dream with his mother, even after being turned, so he must have had some kind of Slayer powers.
    The younger one, being Female, could have picked up even more.......

Priceless likes this.
  6. Priceless

Priceless I am now

Yes that makes sense. I guess because we haven't seen a Slayer have a female child, we don't know if being a Slayer, or at least a potential, can be an inherited trait.

7. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Ok, my thoughts on this one.......
    Overall I was a little disappointed by this story. While it was well written & had some grittiness & angst about it, it had almost no historical anchor whatsoever. It's
    supposedly set in 1320 but could really be anytime between pre-Roman to the early 1700's. Also, it could be set anywhere....there was nothing to tie it to Brittany....

A few nitpicks.....
    Eliane refused to fight the Vampires until her husband was returned to her....but how was the council supposed to know of her demands. Gaston couldn't pick up a
    phone & call them. The only way he would be able to let them know of her demands would be to return to London, a journey of at least a week in those days. Even
    if the council were to let Michel go immediately it would be another week before he was back in Brittany....plenty of time for the Vamps to wipe out the town.
    ....and that was if Gaston managed to get past the Vampire siege of the house........

Then there was the ending.....
    Gervais, even though he was a Vamp with some Slayer powers.....how did he take over control of the Vamp army in such a short period of time...& from an 'old one'
    with some serious powers of his own?
    Then Eliane hugs her (Vamp) son, stakes him....but as he turns to dust she bursts into flame & miraculously incinerates all the other Vamps, but not her daughter...
    how?
    Do Slayers all have this mysterious nuke capability?
    If it was the PtB who intervened & caused her to explode zapping all the Vamps why didn't they do that earlier & save the townsfolk.....?
    Once it was confirmed she was dead why did the Council let Michel go.....he had still committed a 'Crime', or did they think knowing she was dead was punishment enough?

...and finally....why did they need a Seer to know what had happened in the village? Someone from the council had obviously been there as they had retrieved the baby?

All in all....well written & a nice little idea......but more holes than a virgins neck at a Vampire convention!

8. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    This one was my favourite as well and it felt closest to the Buffy verse really. I found the story to be very clever and enjoyed it a lot.

I just didn't like the italics vs standard font. Then add three asterisks at the end of each paragraph to signify the change of narrative. It is just one of my pet peeves.

I think it signified her special abilities but I didn't really get it either. It just felt kind of random.

I see your point about the historical issues. It could have fit in any time period from 800 until 1900 I believe.

I didn't get her ending either. I thought the start and middle were very strong but then the ending became a bit confusing. It felt a bit more rushed in writing. I lost track of what was happening at times.

The story was filled with plot holes but I think it raised some interesting moral questions about love and duty and explored them incredibly well.

Mylie likes this.
  9. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I enjoyed it and thought the characters were relatable and very human. Refusing the call for love reminded me of Buffy refusing the call for a normal life but Buffy > Eliane. I did get annoyed at her waiting for so long and seeing so many people die before doing anything.

10. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I see why you could feel the annoyance. I thought it would be her really accepting the call for Slaying, but I really did admire her stubbornness regardless of the consequences. I am a sucker for morally ambiguous stories though :)