1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Week 4 - Blood and Brine by Greg Cox

Discussion in 'Book Club: Tales of the Slayer vol. 2' started by Foxy, May 28, 2017.

1. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Hello all, here we are at another week of the Tales short stories. Are you ready to read about a Slayer who is also a pirate? Arr!

Out of the 4 we have read so far which one do like the most?
    Did you like the story?
    How did you feel about the 'pirate speech' in the short story?

Fun fact: Greg Cox is a seasoned TV show turned book writer with novelisations of Xena, Star Trek, Daredevil and Farscape under his belt! He is a devout Buffy fan too!

Where is Xander with his eye patch when you need him? Go forth and discuss!

Note: Did you all miss the thread for week 3 Abmonination or were you too busy? If I am going too fast with once a week please let me know!

2. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

Yes I missed it. I shall try to read both and comment on both this week :)

Foxy: Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Foxy likes this.
  3. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I actually really enjoyed this one. It was quite well written, ok the 'Pirate Speak' was a little over the top at times, but that didn't detract from the overall feel of the piece.
    Although I guessed quite early on what the big nasty was the tension was kept up till the end & was not overdone.
    The author had obviously done his research on all the nautical terms. My Father & Brother both served in the Royal Navy so I grew up with nautical references, and they
    all seemed pretty accurate to me......

What remained of her crew were going to be very rich pirates ;)

Certainly my favourite story so far! :)

4. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

Finally finished this one and quite enjoyed it, though Abomination is still my favourite.

Like @Last Watcher I thought the pirate-speak was a bit much, but I think the writers made a definite stylistic choice and ran with it. I'm not usually a fan of pirate stories, so I wasn't looking forward to this, but was pleasantly surprised at how fun and readable it was.

It was clever of the writers to use the name William Pratt, that grabbed my attention straight away and probably made me like it more than I otherwise would. My headcanon was telling me this had to be Spike's ancestor and he was a Watcher, which was really intriguing.

The Slayer was quite engaging, but I didn't believe she'd be Captain of a ship, not because of her sex, but because of her age. I imagined her quite young, but can't remember if they mention her age in the story?

The story was fun, but thin. My favourite part was the arm chopping. I thought that had real shock value and wasn't expecting it. I was also happy that she finally felt confident and supported enought to reveal to her crew who she really was

5. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I found the pirate speak to get increasingly less throughout the story. I also noticed it less I think.

I loved the Spanish woman and the mild nod to the hell mouth. Before I realised it was the Kraken I thought it might have been a Hellmouth.

Who was your favourite character in this story?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    I noticed the reference as well and pictured Spike in the watcher outfit. Randy Giles!

I got the feeling she was in her late 20s but a person with superpowers could beat most leadership battles I imagine.

I loved the arm chopping bit and wished that we could have gotten a bit more depth. I would have liked to see a bit more moral debate about leaving the crew to die or not. I love morally ambiguous stuff anyway!

The reveal was cheesy but the story did leave me wanting more!

Priceless likes this.