1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Week 5 - The Ghosts of Slayers Past by Scott Allie

Discussion in 'Book Club: Tales of the Slayer vol. 2' started by Foxy, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Hello all, here we are at another week of the Tales short stories. We are officially half way! I hope you are all enjoying yourselves :)

Out of the 5 we have read so far which one do like the most? Can you make a ranking from 1 to 5, 1 being the best story. Please explain why!
    Did you like the story? Why?
    Which of the 5 historical settings do you like the most?
    Which of the 5 stories should have been featured on the TV show?
    If you have any questions you would like to ask the others, please ask them!

Fun fact: Scott Allie is a seasoned Buffy writer. He was the main editor for the comics for 17 years as he was in charge of the classic comics, season 8, 9 and half of 10.

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Okaaaay! Well what a weird story. Basically a retelling of Scrooge, but with a Slayer/Watcher twist.

Must admit I wasn't expecting the third ghost, but she sure added a touch of humour to the story (Though she doesn't talk quite like that).

I guess historically it was pretty true, the gentry (or those who saw themselves as gentry), would look down on commoners as nothing better than animals,
    especially if they were foreign. He really didn't like the French, but I guess that would be true of most Englishmen of the time as they had been a war not too many years before).

Anyway.....Well written. Historically accurate. Story basically a rehash of a well known tale.......but quite entertaining.

To rank the 5 stories so far........Hmmmmm tough one. Going off memory:-
    1. All that you do comes back unto thee. Although not the best writing, I guess I'm just a sucker for SunnyD & the gang.
    2.Blood & Brine. Well constructed story....I enjoyed it.
    3. The ghosts of Slayers past. Would have scored higher if it wasn't a reboot!
    4. Lady Shobu. Just didn't get into this one....not sure why...just not my thing.
    5. Abomination. Just too many holes....found myself questioning what was going on so much I lost track of (& interest in) the plot.

Of these 5, I think they could have had a lot of fun making 'The ghosts of Slayers past' into an episode for TV. It could even be done as Giles reading Muzzlewit's Watcher diary......

3. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I enjoyed the 'Christmas Carol/Scrooge' set-up. Liked the character of Muzzlewit, the Scrooge-like Watcher. Iit was an enjoyable read.

Then Buffy appeared. Just the vision of her made Muzzlewit run to his slayer and beg forgiveness, change his ways and become a nicer person. I just did not get the ending at all and thought I'd actually missed a page :). Buffy didn't show him the future, because she was the futre, but I didn't understand why her appearance had such a massive effect on him? It made no sense and spoilt the story for me. I wish Buffy had actually taken him on some sort of journey into the future and that's what changed him, not just the vision of Buffy herself.

@Last Watcher My ratings are the exact opposite of yours :)

For me Abomination was the best so far. I loved the fairy tale feel of it, and that made it easy for me to overlook the plot holes. All That You Do Comes Back Unto Thee was the worst, the writing was terrible and the story made no sense

4. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I totally agree with you on the Buffy not talking like that at all. I wish he had spent a little bit more time with Buffy rather than running away right away.

I actually really enjoyed this story, because of the rehash of a well-known tale. I thought it was very well done.

If all that you do comes back unto thee is your favourite, you will love the last story in the book, but I won't spoil, because we have got a few more awesome ones to go ;)

I personally would have liked to see Lady Shobu done as an episode, but I am still a big believer in this format of short stories about different Slayers. Imagine a season or two per Slayer. These short stories would have been great a starting point for it, because I think it works really well!
    How do you feel about the short stories? Would you liked to have read these stories as fleshed out full stories or do you prefer the short story format?
    I found it very nice to read from the perspective of a Watcher finally. Imagine how cool it would have been to read the Buffy story-line from Giles' point of view, because he grew so much especially in the early seasons in my opinion.

@Priceless I had the same feeling as well. I thought the ending was way too rushed and it didn't really make sense to me. She really hadn't given him a reason to 'be good' again only based on the way she was speaking. I foudn it a bit odd. I felt like the author realised there were only 2 pages left and had reached his limit. I thought his confusion about Buffy's look was funny though.

My current rating is:
    1. Blood and Brine (because it was just a fun and entertaining story. I mean who doesn't love Slayer pirates? And I secretly that Robin and Camilla would be lesbians!)
    2. Abomination (I loved the ambigiousness of this Slayer, but there were just a bunch of plotholes that bothered me and interferred with my understanding of the story).
    3. Lady Shobu (Great plot and world building, but sometimes so much was happening I lost track of the story).
    4. Ghost of Slayers Past (Fun but the ending was way too rushed in my opinion)
    5. All That you Do Comes Back Unto Thee (Badly written and rather confusing plot but I liked the moral of the story the most. The title was very fitting I think!)

Next up! The New Watcher :) I hope you guys are enjoying the bookclub!

Priceless likes this.
  5. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

This was a cute one!

I'm a big fan of A Christmas Carol so I loved the little homage to it.

The turning of some phrases bothered me at first but I got used to it by the end. The twist with Buffy's apparition traumatizing him enough that he doesn't need to see anything else actually made me laugh out loud. Though it really didn't sound like her.

I thought the watcher was insufferable (but that was the point) and it made sense. I did find his thoughts about the slayer tradition interesting.

My own ranking :
    1. Abomination
    2. Lady Shobu
    3. Ghosts of Slayer's Past
    4. All that you do comes back unto thee
    5. Blood and Shrine

Priceless likes this.