1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Week 7 - House of the Vampire by M. Reaves

Discussion in 'Book Club: Tales of the Slayer vol. 2' started by Foxy, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Oh, I have a lot to say about this story, but before I do I want to hear what you think?

Did anyone notice the use of 'effulgence'? What did you think of the reference?
    The story was packed with references to other works. What did you think of this? Why?
    Which reference was the nicest according to you?
    What did you think of the plot?
    This story shares a lot of similarities to the Buffy vs. Dracula episode as in similar characters and storyline. Did you think it worked?
    What did you think of the abundance of characters in such a short story?
    The Victorian-ish era has been done before in the Ghost of the Slayers past. Which story did you think was more successful in capturing this time?

(Oh I hated this story so much! *hides*)

Funfact: Micheal Reaves is a pretty big time guy for the TV (Batman & Spiderman) and books (Star Wars & Alien). Nominated for numerous Emmies!

2. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
  3. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Sorry.....been a bit busy lately...been slacking a bit. :oops:
    Promise I will read this one tonight

4. Priceless

Priceless I am now

@Foxy now I know for sure you are a natural teacher, the way you just called us out like that, so very very cool teach :D

Last Watcher: Yeah...Looks like we're on the naughty step.....We could always try the age old 'The dog ate my Book review' ploy?
  5. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I didn't think this was too bad. Why did you hate it @Foxy?

I did notice the word effulgence, in fact there were a lot of big words, some of them I had never read before and had to look up :oops: I think that must have been the writer trying to a 'Victorian' style, but if fell flat with terms like 'lookie-loo', which is not a British phrase as far as I know. Angelique also mentions 'not being ready for that sort of commitment' which also seemed anachronistic.

I like to think the story was a homage to the classics, which didn't bother me. It might be a problem if Dracula was actually killed, but they did try and make it seem like he may not have been permanently gone.

The slayer having friends was also an issue, in that Buffy was meant to be the first Slayer with friends and family supporting her. But I could overlook these things. The story was a bit slow for me, and a bit long. To be honest I didn't have strong feelings about it either way, a bit dull.

6. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Hehe. It is something I have been trained for after all :p

I had three problems with this story:

1. There were simply too many references for it to be enjoyable. Like in Blood and Brine there was just one really nice subtle reference to Spike (William Pratt being the watcher) and that was really great. In this story there are tons of references to Sherlock Holmes. I loved the first one being 'We should ask the chap on Baker Street' as it was subtle but still clearly referencing Sherlock, but the references did not stop. No offense to anyone, but this read like a 15 year old girl from Tumblr would write a crossover story (badly done that is). I just found it a bit jarring.

2. The Dracula story line was pretty much a rehash from the fabulous episode (which is one of my favourites) and there was no excitement for me as I already knew he would be back for Season 5 of Buffy. If they had done it from his point of view and showed his hunt of the Slayer. Now that would have been a fun read!

3. The message of the story really bothered me, because it is literally the opposite of the show. Of course there are moments Buffy is on her own, but she always reconnects her with her friends and this gives her strength to go on for such a long time.

@Priceless I agree about it being too long and a bit dull, I actually just wanted a fun murder story with a Slayer using her powers to look for people criminals and stuff. That would have made me incredibly happy!

What did you think about the Slayer and her relationship with what's his name?

Priceless likes this.
  7. Priceless

Priceless I am now

There were tons of references to Sherlock Holmes and Dracula, I agree, and I can see why you think it's overdone. I'm not a fan of crossovers either, so maybe that's one of the reasons I thought the story was dull, because few of the characters were new. At least the show made Dracula interesting, unlike this writer.

I agree that the message was the opposite of the show, but I think we're meant to take that away from the story that Angelique is wrong to distance herself from others. When the writers were approached to write these stories I wonder if the publisher gave them outlines or scenarios they had to adhear to, because I don't think this writer had actually seen the show or just didn't understand it.

It would have been great to have a traditional murder mystery, with the slayer solving the murder. That would have been great. Shame the writer didn't try and do something different.

8. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Oh rats! ........ I just noticed that although I read this story a few weeks ago I still haven't posted a review.......teach will be cross :confused:

Think I'm going to have to read it again as I can't remember any of it :oops:

9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    That's your review right there.

Last Watcher: Alas, that may well be true!
    Last Watcher likes this.