1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Welcome & Important Info

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Buffy Summers, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Welcome to BB's first annual "Be Nice on the Internet Week"!

We have lots of fun activities and interesting discussions planned for the week, where we try to celebrate treating people online as we would offline.

But first, a couple small ground rules.

This is a week about treating each other nicely and with respect. (Though of course we should do this every week ;)) So we encourage you all to practice kindness this week - not only on the board, but across all your online activities.

So for this week, we are outlawing using the word "hate" or synonyms ("loathe", "abhor", etc.) when talking about characters, actors, other members or anything else on the board. Everyone will have to find a better way to express what they're feeling without saying "hate". The purpose of this is to practice having respect not only for people we personally know, but also those we don't.

For example, you cannot post: "I HATE Spike." But you can post: "I really don't care for Spike when he treats Buffy badly."

For this week also, posting ALL IN CAPS is also not allowed.

For this week, anyone making such negative posts or treating other members disrespectfully (calling names, belittling, etc) will lose their posting privileges for 24 hours.

This is a week to leave all your negativity at the door, so let's see how nice a week we can have.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
    Smile Time likes this.
  2. This Year's Girl

This Year's Girl Grateful grapefruit

Sineya
    I love that there's so much going on around this! I think the biggest challenge for me when it comes to the rules is to not post in caps. :D I do it all the time, but not in a "I'm yelling" way, more when I want to underline something. Like when I reallylike something. This will be good practice for me to find other ways of expressing myself :D

zobothehobo: I do that too! I type in all caps to show enthusiasm. Like in the thread about the new skin... I wrote "I love this!" in all caps and then remembered this rule and went back and changed it
  3. Nix

Nix Queen of Coffee!!

Sineya
    I love this, the idea of taking the word "hate" away is awesome :D

4. HisMrs

HisMrs The Walking BED

Sineya
    We have some awesome things planned for this week! I hope everyone really gets into it and participates. :)

5. PassionBecoming

PassionBecoming Minuscule Redheaded One

Sineya
    This is going to be fun! *feeling the positive vibes*

This Year's Girl: *throwing a hug at your face* :D :D :D
  6. Enemies

Enemies *insert user title here*

Sineya
    I hope everyone enjoys what's on offer this week but also remembers that it's a year long commitment that we can all use to better the vibe around the board and internet in general :D

This Year's Girl: :heart:
  7. Buffy Summers

Sineya
    I do too lol - but it's a good tool in really thinking about what you're writing :)

8. Selfless705

Selfless705 I'm not mainstream!!

Ahh, this is awesome... it will make me check what I am writing... which in some cases is definitely a good thing. Cant wait to see what is planned :D

9. Ripper666

Ripper666 Home sweet virtual home!

To be honestly serious, I don't really get into all this be nice on the internet! In generall I think it's a great idea but I'm not quite warm with the thought that I will be punished with an 24 hours nopost penalty if I post the one you know which word I mean word . Hey I mean we are just human beeings, may I will simply forgett this once in a post and then... I would prefer it if there is no penalty like this, it would be ok if there is for example a list where you can see who forgott or intentionally posted a rude word. Then it would be like a game but the way it is handled here you loose your fun of posting because you have to skim your posts once and twice in fear to be sure that there is no evil word in it! Don't missunderstand me I think the "be nice on the internet week " is a great idea, but the main idea, the one that you have fun and learn to controll your language is lost here. Just a very honest answer from a big BB-fan.

10. Enemies

Enemies *insert user title here*

Sineya
    This really isn't what we're looking at doing here guys. The whole point of this week is so that you watch what you are saying and think about the impact that has on others - and if it's nasty/snide/uncaring to think twice before posting. We aren't asking you all to be angels and we realise everyone may have different views on what counts as nasty and also that everyone interprets things in different ways. What we are asking for you to do is be nice to each other, not start intentional arguments or fights and to remember that we are all people with feelings on the board - not just a username.

The ban is in place for people ignoring the fact that it is Be Nice on the Internet week and continuing to be rude to other members.

Ripper666: I agree. But be serious. Was there any rude comments last time? I mean the sort for which you ban?
  11. zobothehobo

zobothehobo Scooby

I love being nice. I love this week. But something's puzzling me. People seem to be missing the whole point. The point is to take a step beyond nice. Most of us are already nice. But the point here is to do something extra. The word "hate" is taken away and the ban is in place to take a step being being nice. That "I hate" thread is there to show perspective and the censor is there to be cute, and remind us all to take a step beyond being nice. This is an exercise in positivity. And while there are people who are already positive on this board, exercise positivity are exercises we can all always use.

And that's kind of what I have to say about that.

Ripper666: True words.
  12. Ripper666

Ripper666 Home sweet virtual home!

Yes I see but why punishing so hard then? Doesn't it take the fun?

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I just want to correct me in this post, I love the idea of the hole project. I love how all of you stand behind this project. The idea is great and will surely improve the "climate" on BB. But I still think the way you want to push us through the project is wrong. I think it's ok to punish people that didn't maintain to the laws here! But the penalty with the 24 hours nopost is too hard in my eyes. It gives the hole project a forced atmosphare. And so the aim of the project failed! Like [MENTION=11394]Enemies[/MENTION] said we should try to accept the oppinions of others, don't try to get nasty and try to chat in peace. And we should try this by our own, not because we know that we will get closed for a several time. If this is the only reason to "be nice on the internet", punishment and the fear of a writing wrong words, I see no reason for this week. Then the message failed. By the way I think that acceptable behavior is the basis scaffold of a good forum. So it's important to remember members with projects like this at this statements. But it's the wrong way if you punish members just because they forgot to circumscribe a single word which isn't soo rude in my eyes. The project should bring fun with it too, and if I will be unable to post, personaly I would not remember me in a positiv way at this week! So but now don't disturb this week with posts like this, just be friendly and calmed. Wish you all a good start in this week, for me school started today. Tomorrow I will write my first class test. Uff. But afterwards I will relax. Then I have a big break with no exams.
    Heads up high!

Enemies: no taking the fun away is being nasty to other members. banning them for this will only ensure it stays a nice place on BB
    Summerlilly: I try to just bring in the fun all the time and not get to "caught" up in it all!
  13. Buffy Summers

Sineya
    Well frankly, there's absolutely no reason why anyone should have to have their posting privileges removed. Being respectful of others is a rule we have here all the time, violating that rule is not something we ever allow.

Ripper666: No one has ever denied.
  14. Summerlilly

Summerlilly Covert Superhero

Thank you for taking the time to come up with ideas on how to keep the boards a positive place. I consider myself a positive and respectful person and will do my best to lead by example! :D

15. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

We're having a Be Nice on the Internet Week?

Well, then....See you all next week!

Kidding! This is sounds like a good idea, but I'll probably forget all about it by tomorrow. lol

Ripper666: Haha you llet me smile!
  16. HisMrs

HisMrs The Walking BED

Sineya
    This whole thing is not meant to be an event that is mandatory for everyone to participate in. It's just an extension of something we expect all the time here on BB: civility among our members. We expect everyone to treat each other with respect and kindness, and when Darla heard about this event and approached the rest of the staff about it, we all agreed unanimously that it was an awesome idea and we wanted to do something to celebrate Be Nice on the Internet Week.
    You shouldn't feel like this is something we're making you do; we don't make anyone be nice. We ask that our members are nice to each other all the time, and the only time you would have to worry about your posting privileges being revoked is if you downright refuse to follow the rules around here. If you're following the rules, don't worry about it; you'll be fine. :) And if you don't want to put a banner or button or something in your siggy, and you don't want to participate in the discussions and stuff for this event, you don't have to. It's simple as that.

17. RogueDemonHunter

RogueDemonHunter Potential

I really like this, because if someone wanted to stop negativity on the internet, usually it is human nature to just make rules, but this "Be Nice on the Internet Week" is good because its just a positive movement of people encouraging and makign others want to be nice, not becuase they have to be nice. So this is great, thanks BB!

18. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Just, please, folks, don't mention politics, gun control, or animal cruelty, and I might make it through the week alright.

OccaQuokka: Hahaha dont give people ideas!!
    zobothehobo: what Ben said
    Kean: IM has clearly gotten into a old fashioned throw down with you ;) :p
  19. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Comments on this post
    InsaneMystic agrees: dude, you're the epitome of staying calm and civil even when you vehemently disagree. I've admired you for that quite some time (I know I, in contrast, get snarky and sarcastic quickly...). Must be the wisdom of age, hm?

My thanks for your kind words, but I can tell you from experience that it isn't wisdom that comes with age. It's arthritis.

20. Tueuse de Vampires

Tueuse de Vampires Love will tear us apart..

I can tell you're not from my neighbourhood ;)