1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What are your issues with Riley?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Merrick, Mar 19, 2014.

1. CharlieGunn1

CharlieGunn1 Ready for battle...

Riley could have been fixed by the removal of his chip. He could have turned away from the pouty, "why can't Buffy love me" character we got in Season 5, we could have had a straight up good guy, out of his depth. But he would have been too much of a copy of Xander, without the ironic wit and sarcasm. He should have realized on his own that Buffy was beyond him, and that she would never truly get over Angel, and give her time to figure out who she was without him.

He's a prototypical college jock boyfriend...with only occasional flashes of changing.

I liked Riley a lot more then most, but honestly a lot of the things were shown about him never really work. Were told that he's a good' ol' farmboy from the Midwest, a cowboy with honor and respect and decency, but all of that is undercut in the moment he acknowledged for the first time that Buffy was 'stronger then him' and that he didn't think he could take her. Then he straight up says "give me time", Dude! Not cool to even joke about beating up your girlfriend! That part always makes me see red.

When he comes back in Season 6, it's only marginally better, but he still feels like a slightly less whiny version of himself.

Sometimes this show makes the most amazing characters, and sometimes we get Riley.

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  2. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

He couldn't handle buffy was stronger then him. He had a macho man attitude about it. Also he was blah

BuffyBot22 and Xin Rong like this.
  3. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I don't think Riley was served well by the writing in season 5. He got progressively less likeable to the general audience.

That aspect and exploration of his character I really liked though. His idea of his role/image and his insecurities over his masculinity made him more human to me. I think that's why I like Xander so much. Insecurities of masculinity are an interesting subject to me. I like seeing how people deal with the societal norm and how they fit in it.

4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Riley had even more pressure to be masculine than Xander did, not to mention that Spike was starting to sniff around Buffy so Riley had that to contend with.

5. Alara

Alara Townie

I think he just didn't quite fit into the Buffyverse much like Oz didn't quite fit. I was so glad when those two left the show. Everyone on the show had a quirkiness to them and always a good one-liner that both Oz and Riley just didn't master well. Even Angel who is mostly boring to me had some quips every now and then but Riley never did and Oz tried but failed miserably.