1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What are your least favorite episodes of both shows

Discussion in 'Inside Out' started by Mylie, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

What are your least favorite episodes of BtVS and AtS and why?

It can be episodes you find boring, badly written, with too much inconsistencies or because you dislike the plot or how the characters are written in them!

This seems like a negative thread but I'm curious to know what other people consider the most important when it comes to not enjoying an episode.

2. Antho

Antho Potential

Now I only think "Go Fish" . It is misplaced this episode between " I Only Have Eyes For You" and "Acathla". It should have been at the beginning of the season. I don't find the storyline well written and this isn't interesting or fun.

3. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I'd have to watch Angel the series again to figure out which episodes I hate and why. I just remember not liking most of the 1st season.

For Buffy, I don't like I Robot, You Jane. I find it boring, the computer nerds are bland. It's a Willow centric episode but it's about like predators on the Internet, except it's a demon stuck in the Internet and wants to become a robot. Boring *yawn*. There's soon me good moments like Giles.

Also I don't like Inca Mummy Girl, that might be the one I hate the most. Ampata is unsympathetic, there's no mystery and the pacing is slow. Oz and Willow are great, but that's about it.

Where The Wild Things Are is also terrible, as far as the plot goes. I also don't really want to see Buffy and Riley going at it all day. But Spike and Anya are great. Plus Giles sings. Lol

AnthonyCordova and Antho like this.
  4. Benz

Benz Townie

How can anyone not like Go Fish its Xander in speedoes.

5. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

It's late for me and I might change my mind tomorrow (since I'm basically just going with my first thoughts).

For Angel, I think it's The House Always Wins. I think because the metaphor was too heavy handed, and Angel talking about how he mixed with famous crime lords and going to Elvis's wedding (IIRC) just doesn't seem right to me, not for Angel or Angelus.

For Buffy, it's Buffy vs Dracula. I'll actually skip this episode when rewatching unless someone who hasn't seen it before is watching it with me. It's just too silly for me and is a monkey wrench in the Buffy lore. Dracula is so famous but the Watchers don't know of him? I don't buy it, and there are other things I don't buy about it either. And I think the characters are too out of character (though I gotta love Riley telling Giles, "No more chick pit for you").

6. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    For Angel its' probably 'The Price' which is dull and nonsensical, heavy handed in its 'Angel did a bad thing, but for reasons' moral and relies on deux ex Cordy to save the day. Plus the slugs are one of the worst creatures used on the show.

For Buffy I would say 'Dead Things' because its just incredibly icky, unpleasant and devoid of any funny. It thinks its dark, serious, important and meaningful but its just awful. It has nothing new to say about Buffy's character that we haven't heard before. The only thing it reveals is the nadir of Spuffy-slease. It's also surrounded by a string of pretty poor episodes starting with 'Wrecked' and heading right on through the season, so it feels like the bottom of a really dank hole if you happen to be watching them in a watch-through.
    The only saving grace is that the acting is good and the scene between Buffy and Tara. Other than that there's nothing worthwhile here.

Hunga Munga and Mylie like this.
  7. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I was going to say Flooded because I tend to repress that Dead Things even exists, but yeah, this:

For Angel it's "Harm's Way" - just like the general idea of Spike and his "vampiric humanity" or whatever you should call it, this is one of those moments where the shows go "evil vampires have feelings too!!" and expect viewer sympathy for them. Pass! Also, Harmony focus is just... ugh.

thetopher: Good nomination. AtS season 5 has rich pickings for 'worst'.
    thetopher likes this.
  8. Priceless

Priceless You're my dog, y'know?

I dislike Beer Bad, it's just too obvious, there is no creativity or depth in the writing and I hate Buffy's obsession with a one night stand. It's basically just a revenge episode that turns Buffy into a moron, left to turn to violence alone, which was never Buffy's m.o. It takes a lot for me to dislike Buffy, and I actually do in this episode

randiann likes this.
  9. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Episodes that truly bother me are the ones I find offensive or when the plot/characterization annoy me. Episodes like IRYJ, Bad Eggs don't bother me at all. They're not amazing, but stupid plot doesn't phase me. Ted, however, upsets me because of how Buffy's treated and how terrible Joyce is. That episode is all about child neglect...

Obviously, the episodes which get on my nerves aren't always the same as everyone else's. I personally detest Halloween because of Buffy's "normal girls were dresses, do facials and think about boys" attitude. Yet, Go Fish, I find harmless. It's idiotic, but fun and I like that Buffy breaks some pig's nose and protects the sexist swim team guy who cowers behind her after seeing Angelus.

Alas, my least favorite Buffy episodes are probably: Crush (Spike), Touched (Spuffy), Gingerbread (Joyce), OMWF (boring), Wild at Heart (Veruca), some boring/soap-y season 6 episodes (Spuffy ones usually), some boring season 5 episodes, Fool for Love (Spike is such a pathetic asshole, I hate the way he describes killing the slayers).

As for Angel, the episodes which bother me are usually the ones where Angel is one big grinning dork, with all of his intellect gone (btw, not saying being dorky = brainless, but in Angel's case it does), when there's a lot of melodrama or when the episodes are just senseless and/or boring.. This pretty much means most of s3 and s5.

So, my least favorite episodes are *drum roll* :

From season 1:
    - I Fall to Pieces - weird and uninteresting.
    - She - boring and has gross "undertones". A demon whose power is turning on men? Ugh, no.
    - Eternity - Oh, how I hate Eternity. Angel has a "crush" on an actress, supposedly his first crush after Buffy, but you really can't tell and he forgets about her by the next episode. I'm sure not having sex with her was no big deal to Angel, yet why the suspense about Angelus returning? Yet, the stupidest thing about the episode is the Eternity drug. A drug that brings Angelus back temporarily is just completely brainless. Angelus can only exist when Angel is soulless. One can't temporarily lose a soul without a spell to bring it back. And there's no such thing as fake perfect happiness. It's either perfect or it's not.

From season 2:
    - Untouched - sexist episode, a rape victim calls herself a slut, gets warned off from Angel by Cordelia because she gives off "sex vibes", is pretty much accused of being raped...I have no words...
    - Disharmony - boring doesn't even begin to describe this episode. Also, there's this scene where Cordy forgives Angel because he buys her clothing? What a deep friendship! Imagine Buffy forgiving Angel for Angelus' actions because Angel took her to Homecoming!
    - The Pylea arc - it's just so silly.

From season 3:
    Too many episodes too count. God, I hate this season. However,
    - Carpe Noctem - I can barely get through that mess of an episode.
    - Offspring - Cordelia has maternal instincts everyone! And Angel couldn't care less that Darla is pregnant, because it's all about Cordy! And he's so dumb, that he doesn't even realize that the kid is his! He acts worse than a teenager to knocked up his high school girlfriend.
    - Birthday - A demon who handled a century in hell goes crazy with a few visions? Please! We get it! Cordelia is perfect and essencial. Just let her ascend already.
    - Provider - saint Cordelia strikes again. Oh, how non-materialistic she is!
    - Episodes I also dislike: That Vision Thing, That Old Gang of Mine, Fredless, Billy, Dad, Waiting in the Wings, Couplet, Double or Nothing, The Price, Tomorrow.

From season 4:
    - Groundstate - don't like Gwen and does Angel kiss everyone? It's not even funny. The only person he doesn't kiss back is Jasmine and I'm sure he would've eventually.
    - Long Day's Journey - annoying episode with too much Cordy/Angel
    - Awakening - such sappy nonsense

From season 5:
    - Lowkey hate: Conviction, Hellbound, Life of the Party, Damage
    - Real hate: DESTINY (disgusting episode, Angel and Spike are awful together), HARM'S WAY (why does Harmony get two episodes devoted to her, and Lorne and Gunn don't even get one?), SOUL PURPOSE (wtf is the purpose of this episode? It's like a child wrote it).
    - A Hole in the World - man do I hate this episode now. I watched it a couple of days ago and could barely get through it. So sappy and sexist. It's all about the male gaze. All about the champions rescuing the fair maiden who coughs and cries her way through the episode while talking about being strong. "Oh God, I've sinned and I'm being punished! My boys. I walk with heroes!" :rolleyes: Can't stand it anymore.

crazysoulless: Angel does kiss Jasmine if you count the "perfect day" dream since it was possessed Cordy and not real Cordy in it. So he dreamt of sex with his granddaughter.
    thetopher and Mylie like this.
  10. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    'Awakening'. God, I hate that episode...

1. It makes no sense.
    2. It's cheesy as hell.
    3. It's a waste of time, because 80% of it is just a meaningless fantasy.
    4. To cap it all off, we get David Boreanaz failing at doing an evil laugh.

GraceK: Yes yes yes!
  11. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I always thought it was a metaphor for FGM. Not that that makes the episode any better.

thetopher and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  12. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I only watched the episode once to be honest...In any way, it was not a successful metaphor for anything!

Bluebird: LOL true true
    Bluebird likes this.
  13. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

ok I'll do it too since I created the thread lol

BtVS :
    Dead Things: This is the grossest episode of the show for me, it infuriates me a lot
    Lies My Parents Told Me: not a fan of how the characters are written in this episode, I want to punch them all in the face
    Where the Wild Things Are: mess and also boring so double offense

I dislike other episodes (most from seasons 6 and 7) but those are the ones that I would likely skip if I did another rewatch.

AtS :
    She : just bad, they failed at everything there
    Billy : unnecessary gross and upsetting
    Destiny : that episode pisses me off

There are other episodes that I'm usually more vocal about disliking but it's because they're usually hyped, etc. but those are the 3 episodes I wish were never written.

thetopher, Carrie Hopewell and GraceK like this.
  14. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I have an unhealthy hate for Empty Places and to a lesser degree Touched. I find the final scene in Empty Places too over the top and unbelievable - can't see it happening ever IMO, and it reads like a bad Spuffy fanfiction when coupled with Touched.

Antho, Mylie, thetopher and 2 others like this.
  15. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I do dislike Empty Places a lot too but I tend to see it more as a continuation of my frustrations that started with Lies My Parents Told Me. Basically, the only episodes I enjoy after that one are Dirty Girls and Chosen.

16. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Buffy:
    Dead Man's Party
    Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
    Teacher's Pet
    Inca Mummy Girl
    Reptile Boy
    Bad Eggs
    Killed by Death
    Go Fish
    Where The Wild Thing Are
    Into the Woods
    Doublemeat Palace

Priceless likes this.
  17. Priceless

I enjoy Empty Places, everyone has been through so much, seen so much death and destruction. This episode encapsulates the groups anger and fear, very much the mob mentality with all their need to blame directed at Buffy. I think Dawn is great in it too, she takes the power and makes the decision (I might not agree with the decision, but I love Dawn for taking control)

Fuffy Baith and Guy like this.
  18. fauxindigo

fauxindigo Townie

Wow it's crazy to see how so many people hate certain episodes and a lot of episodes that I love.
    I think Dead Things is a great episode. As well as Destiny.
    Other least favorite mentioned episodes that I like/love- Go Fish, The Price, The House Always Wins, Buffy vs. Dracula, Carpe Noctem, Where the Wild Things Are, I Robot You Jane, Beer Bad and the Harmony episodes Disharmony & Harms Way. I thoroughly enjoy those episodes; I find them to be so fun. Like the Pylea Arc episodes, yes it's silly but that's part of the campy charm of what makes it fun!

Now for the episodes that I personally rank lower than most others.

Most of Angel Season 3 but specifically 'Provider', I remember after seeing that episode I thought to myself that was the worst episode of Angel I've ever seen. Same for BtVS Season 2 'Inca Mummy Girl', I remember falling asleep during that episode because it was that boring.

Other episodes I dislike.
    'Into the Woods' I just don't particularly love this one.
    'Hells Bells' it's entertaining but sad and I don't like the outcome.
    'Seeing Red' it's done well as an episode but the content is rather horrible.
    'Never kill a boy on the First Date' has its moments but overall it's kind of a snooze fest; even though Owen is cute.
    'Nightmares'. I just really hate this episode. It's the worst. Not even Stage fright Willow, Xander being chased by psycho clown or Buffy as a vampire can save it.
    'Show Time'. The ubervamp(s) were kind of horrible and this episode feels like the real start of Season 7 spiraling downward- the potentials started to sink in, along with the stupid ubervamps and Buffy's speechifying.
    'Some Assembly Required', 'Bad Eggs', 'Reptile Boy' & 'Phases' could have been done better. But so could 'Go Fish' and 'Inca Mummy Girl'.
    Angel Season 1 'Blind Date'
    Angel Season 2 'Blood Money', 'Happy Anniversary', 'Shroud of Rahmon'
    Angel Season 3 'Tomorrow' and of course 'Provider'
    Angel Season 5 'Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco'

19. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

But they have already faced scarier things before. Hello, Glory! I didn't see them ditching Buffy when she asked them to run away together in a van which was pretty much suicidal.

The lead up to Empty Places wasn't strong enough for me. If more permanent damage was done to the Scoobies maybe, but it was just the death of a couple of girls and Xander losing an eye. Giles had lost JENNY and he still never turned on Buffy. If Xander died instead of just losing an eye, maybe and not ALL OF THEM. It just didn't feel realistic for me. And felt like it was done to make Spike the only person who is there for Buffy while spitting in the faces of the others who were there for her before Buffy met Spike.

I loved the Dawn moment, but I don't find it realistic. Dawn choosing Faith over Buffy? Please. Same for the other Scoobies, especially Willow who used to dislike Faith a lot.

20. Priceless

It's not about chosing Faith, it's about power and at that moment Dawn chooses power, that's what the season's all about. It might not be realistic, I agree, but it's what S7 is about; power.

In-show, the First was meant to be the scariest foe they'd ever faced, no matter what the audience thought, and that's why Buffy turns herself into a Genral, why she can dig graves and bury little girls, and talk of sacrificing Dawn, because that's what a General has to do (not literally of course). This was a wartime scenario. It's also why Spike pretty much gets a pass, because he's second in command, he's the strongest, most reliable fighter and at this point that's Buffy's priority