1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What do you think initially drew Buffy to Angel?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by slayer6, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Joan the Vampire Slayer

Joan the Vampire Slayer Carpe Spuffy!

Short answer? Initially, it was his looks and the mystery surrounding him. Let's face it; Angel is definitely Buffy's type.

Long answer? I think that from the get-go Buffy sensed that Angel was different, not necessarily a vampire (I truly believe that really surprised her). Once she got to know him better, she saw a kindred spirit in him and with him a place she could exist completely as herself. Angel understood Buffy's responsibly and how hard it was. More importantly, since he was as strong as her, Buffy didn't have to worry about getting Angel hurt.

He was a refuge for her to be herself.

Also, this makes me think of something; where was Buffy's spidey sense with Angel? Why couldn't she sense initially he was one? Bad continuity, convenience plot device, or something that makes Angel undetectable to Slayers? The soul maybe?

Puppet and BuffyBot22 like this.
  2. ibuffybot

ibuffybot i buffy bot

Sineya
    It was love at first sight.

3. NightLady

NightLady Potential

She was dumb and he played his cards well :p

4. Francis Doyle

Francis Doyle Townie

I think this sums it up really well! I know I'd probably be attracted to Angel in these circumstances myself...

5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Just like Doyle himself says! :)

Francis Doyle likes this.
  6. Francis Doyle

Francis Doyle Townie

Haha. Absolutely! I can't help but wish he'd elaborated on that comment. :p

7. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    No - they just need magic. The same magic that keeps a dead body animated. They live on blood so there has to be circulation. It's part of the vamp package. Now poisons - that one puzzles me.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 27, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 27, 2015 ---
    She was a teen, and he was gorgeous. She was in over her head, and he helped. They were both forbidden fruit

8. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    The magic and Willow.
    I was into anything involving witches and the first episodes I really watched were season 5 and 6. So plenty of magic there.

With Angel it was Cordelia (that'll surprise everyone). I actually knew her in Angel before going back to watch early BTVS and I instantly loved her character.

bespangeled likes this.
  9. amberjane

amberjane Potential

the whole, initial 'love at first sight' thing is sooo annoying and childish, but most importantly, its boring. i was bored with angel and buffy, and that carried with elena and stefan for anyone who is into tvd. why is it boring? there's no development. more than half the reason i am a spuffy shipper is because i got to watch them develop. i didnt really understand, and i rewatch the whole series at least once a year since before it ended even, how exactly they fell in love. but by 'angel' the episode, xander called her out on the fact that she was in love with him. i couldnt follow that.

with that being said, i never felt he was being a creepy stalker, even though i can see the circumstancial evidence, its all about how buffy percieved it, making the projection of it to the viewers even appear harmless. the reasons she is drawn to him everyone pretty much nailed earlier, but also because of his wit. he was sarcastic with her, even walking away with a sarcastic response after giving her the necklace. basically, he left her wanting a little more. its a shame that when she got more, he turned out to be more dull and the only time we would see more snarky, sarcastic angel is when spike came around.

Puppet, gite63 and Mr Trick like this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well you're a woman after my own heart, you can stay!:p I don't dislike the Buffy/Angel relationship as much as you, I think it does get more interesting post-S1, but you are right Buffy and Spike is far more dramatic and full of depth.

Puppet, gite63 and Silverspike like this.
  11. thetopher

Sineya
    It's full of something alright :p, but I wouldn't say its any deeper than Bangel, at least not these days.
    Unfortunately Buffy/Spike never gets made fun of 'in show' so it comes across as far more melodramatic than actually dramatic. It's so overwrought and painfully unfun to watch, at least Bangel could be self-aware.

12. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

"at least Bangel could be self-aware."

In the episode the Zeppo, maybe, but not so much in the show as a whole imo.

"It's so overwrought and painfully unfun to watch" For you maybe, but not everybody apparently. :)

Puppet likes this.
  13. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I always just assumed that vampires' blood circulation was due to muscular contraction, As long as they are moving, their muscles squeeze blood through their veins something like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube. That, or they are all Vulcans.

14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But that's not there's plenty of comedy moments with the Buffy and Spike relationship, even dating back to Something Blue since that foreshadows it. And I think of Buffy/Angel as being the more serious, poe faced of the two.

gite63 and Silverspike like this.
  15. thetopher

Sineya
    Wrong. It gets made fun of in 'Helpless', by 'Cordelia in 'IWRY' (and elsewhere in S1) and Wesley/Cordelia in Season 3 where they playact out all the melodrama ('how about you both bite me').
    Also S6 'Tabula Rasa 'A vampire with a soul? How lame is that?'

Bangel gets mocked all the time, its one of the ships strengths imo.

Yeah, shockingly I give my opinion on an opinions board. ;)
    But at least I have examples to back up my opinion.

Not really. Nobody ever pokes fun at the relationship outside of itself- everyone's too horrified for the most part. The might briefly make fun of the idea in 'Intervention' but that soon passes.
    It's all heartache, violence and oh-so-serious declarations after that, especially in Season 7.

Silverspike: You gave, what , 4 examples. Thats hardly "all the time". :)
  16. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Something Blue? I like Bangel and Spuffy, they both have their positives and negatives for me. I like all the relationships in both shows, other than Cordelia and Connor oh my dear GAWD.

Moments I enjoyed:
    Spuffy - the whole lead up, watching Spike begin to realise that he loves Buffy. Fool for Love and After Life being the highlights.
    Bangel - Angel being Buffy's first love, the heartbreak, Angel always being there for Buffy when things are going awry in her life. The meant-to-be but never getting to be.

Plus there's the fun in Angel s5 between Spike and Angel. The first time I watched The Girl in Question I wasn't rooting for anyone -- they're both worthy to me.

Puppet likes this.
  17. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    I think that Buffy was mostly attracted to his mysteriousness and his jacket
    I pretend that it never happened ;)

Puppet and GwenRaiden like this.
  18. thetopher

Sineya
    That's exactly what got me thinking about this. I wish we had had more lighter Spuffy moments like that episode, because it was great. :)

And you're right that different ships have different strengths. Spuffy has the organic growth, the changing relationship, the guy who slowly gets the girl and what-have-you. Bangel has first love sweetness, real co-star chemistry and, like I said, isn't afraid to make fun of itself.
    Even Briley (which I'm not even a big fan of) has some things to recommend it- a few of the opening flirtations between Buffy and Riley are kinda nice and normal. Buffy is fairly consistently happy with the guy....its just not that sexy.

The Cordelia/Connor thing...she wasn't really Cordelia and he was a horny teen. It's still wrong and awful and, imo, almost single-handedly justifies Angel wiping his friends memories of Connor so that it never happened. :p

GwenRaiden likes this.
  19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But the point of the Spike/Buffy relationship is that it is a darker one, because its her embracing her dark side, but for me there is plenty of funny moments between them too. And besides some self-reflecting in later episodes I don't see much humour in the Buffy-Angel relationship.

gite63 and Silverspike like this.
  20. thetopher

Sineya
    Well yeah, but 'dark' doesn't necessarily mean deeper or more dramatic (or even interesting).
    On a show like Buffy it just makes it look overwrought. What little humor they did put in between them was usually strained (Like in 'Older And Far Away) but in Season 7- where there should've been a bit more of the light stuff now that he had a soul- it turned in something truly worthy of somebody poking fun at it. But its all so ultra-serious.