1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What if Angel, Wes, Lorne, Gunn and Cordy had stayed in Pylea?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Mr Trick, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

At the end of the second season there is a suggestion that once the gang go off to Pylea to save Cordelia than it maybe a one way trip and that they may not be able to return to LA.

So if events had worked out differently and they had not returned home, and remained in Pylea then how do you think it would have effected the direction of the show? And do you think it would have lost its edge without the LA setting? Don't forget that Fred's narrative would have worked out differently too.

2. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Definitely. It would have turned into The Adventures of Hercules. ;)
    I'm falling alseep just thinking about it. Lol.

thetopher likes this.
  3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I did think of Hercules while watching those episodes:D I enjoyed them but not sure I could take it full-time;)

4. Taake

Black Thorn
    They were a nice break but full-time... nope, nope, nope. It's an interesting idea though. They could've taken the show in the direction. Maybe it would've been popular (though I think it would've divided the audience into pre- and post-Pylea fans)

5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah I think the LA setting fits nicely with the film noirish feel of the show, and opens up more possiliblites for the characters. Was just thinking like you said then it would have been a bold and different direction for the show. I think Cordy actually needs LA more than the rest of them just to keep her feet on the ground;)

6. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Hey, it would have also destroyed the world - no amulet, and the Turok-han have taken over the entire world.

7. Taake

Black Thorn
    Oh don't worry, Willow would've been given abilities to conjure some other MacGuffin to save they day, or Spike would've inadvertently picked up the amulet in a cave in Africa or something, cause y'know, shiny! ;)

bespangeled: Show up - burn up - close the hellmouth and save everyone from the trauma of season 7
    bespangeled likes this.
  8. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    I love Pylea, but no, I wouldn't like that they stayed there, too. It would be another show, not Angel.

9. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I hated the Pylea arc- so jarring and the humour parts barely worked at all. I probably would've stopped watching entirely if the show had gone off the rails like that.

Angel works in an urban setting, helping the helpless and such, not on some Xena backlot.

10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I agree, but I recently re-watched those episodes and they did work better second time around. I do think there are some important character growth in them, and it was just a nice switch of pace. But no it wouldn't work long term

Kana likes this.
  11. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    You didn't like Numfar doing the dance of "I own this series and everybody in it"? That was Joss Whedon playing the part of Numfar.

Mr Trick: Really? That's such a cool fact!
    GwenRaiden and Mr Trick like this.
  12. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    That bit, Wesley's cry of 'We're winning!' leading to them all getting captured, and most of Angel's reactions to being in the sun, having a reflection again, recounting 'chopping off the evil lawyer beast's hand'...and that's about all I like of those three episodes.
    Basically the jokes- all the dramatic stuff is just lame and the bad guys are the worst the show has ever produced- no menace whatsoever.
    At least we got Fred out of the whole thing, which is something I guess.

13. redruM

redruM Potential

Also the "Wolf," "Ram," and "Hart" books felt shoehorned in and meaningless to plot progression, like Talia Al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises. I guess it was to show that they have a presence in every dimension, but that issue isn't really addressed again until season 5.

thetopher: Good point. I forgot about the Wolf Ram & Hart twist- it went nowhere.
  14. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

Great episodes, but did anyone else think they felt sort of abrupt after the whole Darla thing? As if the writers suddenly decided they had no more material left for that arc (until S3) and constructed the Pylea adventure as filler?

15. Tome

Tome Berktwad

Black Thorn
    It wouldn't have worked out because Jasmine would have found a way to bring them back. That was all part of her plan and they couldn't stay there if she wanted to bring world peace. ;)

Samuel Reyes likes this.
  16. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I liked the W&H appearance in Pylea, and I thought the priests felt quite ominous. I didn't think the priests and their books felt particularly shoehorned, maybe Holland Manners' speech in Reprise felt shoehorned, maybe the Pylea arc in general was shoehorned. I dunno. I think one or two episodes max of Pylea would have been enough. I guess they needed a story to get Angel out of the dimension to coincide with Buffy's death?

17. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

This is how I felt in the final season when the show left the hotel and moved to W&H. It became another show and to this day I struggle to understand what it was about.

Yeah, I thought the Wolf, Ram and Heart thing was going to go somewhere. I found it a very sinister twist. But then it was never mentioned again.