1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What is the main reason why you hate season 4?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Joshua, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

I've seen a lot of hate for this season, but I don't think I've ever seen a reason on why they hate the season.

So what is the reason why you hate season 4?

Mine is

Riley Finn. Hated him so much.

funsmiley: yep, yep! same
    Tammy: He is such a wet blanket
    chasesummers: not hate, simply doesn't deserve so much screen-time
  2. ashleigh

ashleigh Scooby

Black Thorn
    I really hate that Restless was the season finale. I liked the episode, I just feel that is was weak for a finale.

Plus the idea that the initiative have been around fighting demons and Buffy never knew about them until season 4 seems unlikely. :p

Tammy: I feel like restless was one of the best things about this season
    HisMrs: Totally agree about "Restless"!
  3. WWGD

WWGD Potential

I don't hate the season. I just think that seasons1-3 were so amazing that season 4 pales in comparison.

4. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss is Boss

Black Thorn
    Yeah, like [MENTION=11495]WWGD[/MENTION] said, it really pales in comparison to the wonderful seasons before it. With that said, I still adore season 4 for what it is. What it lacked in the main plot, it makes up for the amazing stand-alone episodes and the brilliant character development. Not to mention, Restless. The best episode, IMO, not to mention my favorite episode of any show. I will defend it til the day I die.

.....Say what? I didn't hear you, my ears are clogged up with hater wax. ;)

WWGD: lol @ hater wax. But yea restless was artistically an amazing episode. I don't consider it among the best but I do appreciate and respect it for sure.
    VisionGirl: LOL, I luv it!!
  5. EvilWillow

EvilWillow Scooby

I really don't hate season 4. Some of my favorite episodes are in it.

I don't like the initiative, Riley Finn, Maggie Walsh, Forrest, or the way they treated Giles.

But like [MENTION=11693]Living Dead Boy[/MENTION] and I have discussed before, it had some really great standalone episodes. :)

Living Dead Boy: Yes like Hush, Something Blue..........*cough*Restless*cough* :D Just messing with you.
  6. Tyger tyger

Tyger tyger Betty Louise Plotnick

Too true on all accounts... serials>arcs... Marc Blucas never did it for me. It's bad when "Giles the John Peel sessions" is the sexier edgier element. Not to mention Buffy and Sunday were fighting it out for worst it's not the 90's but I don't know that hair. And maybe it is just me but after three years of boohoo Angel why was everyone so pissy about weepy Willow after Oz left? I mean come on eveny her sad face is kinda cute. Oh and the allegory definitly not up to snuff of the first 3 seasons.. we get it.. moral ambiguity and blah blah blah. That being said still better than most of the stuff on tv then or now.

7. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I don't hate season four but I'm not all too fond of it either I guess, I think it's because allthough I find the idea of The Initiative intriguing I think it failed on the show. It just wasn't planned out well enough? I'm not sure, either way it didn't work for me....

I have no problems with Riley anymore, once he cuts his hair he's one of my favorite things about the season nowadays (especially when he tries to woo Buffy :))

Sweet J: I never understood the Riley hate either!
    AnthonyCordova: Have some Riley karma. He's really not that bad.
  8. Ripper666

Ripper666 Home sweet virtual home!

I just didn't like the storyline. I didn't really get warm with the Initative. I have nothing against Riley but the way he had to play a soldier with all the blinky machines and codewords ... it looked ridiculous! Yeah, ridiculous implementation of a good story. That'S it!

9. Bexieh

Bexieh level 5 laser lotus

Sineya
    I don't HATE it but it's not one of my favourite seasons. It has some great episodes and great stuff in it, I just think overall I couldn't really get on board with the Initiative. I dunno if it was too military and sort of...real for me compared to the dusty-old-books-and-magical-objects bad guys we're used to. If that makes sense. Plus like was mentioned before, I don't understand how they couldn't have come across each other before. Like where were the Initiative during graduation?

Weirdly though, although it's not my favourite, I've had a craving to watch it lately so it can't be all bad!!

10. Sweet J

Sweet J Potential

Sineya
    Season 4 is my 3rd favourite season, after seasons 2 & 3 of course. Sure Riley Finn isn't Angel or Spike in terms of Character, and the relationship story between Riley & Buffy naturally doesn't compare. In saying that though I think it was a great break from seasons centred around Buffy's relationship status. Perhaps this is because I seem to prefer the Horror and comedy side of the Buffyverse over the Drama/love story side.

The Initiative was a great idea, it could have been better if they explored the 'UberSoldaten' (Nazi supersoldier) concept of the Initiative and creation of Adam a bit more. The Initiative was essentially Buffy vs Nazi Scientists much like the later 2001 computer game 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' which successfully pulled it off. Wolfenstein was to be turned into a film by Robert Avary(of Pulp Fiction fame) but he got arrested for a DUI.

Here's some monster art from Wolfenstein, I urge doubters of the big bad idea of season 4 to check it out on the youtubes, it will frighten you!
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Loper_concept_art.jpg

Wolfenstein is very dark and down right scary at times, it does dabble into Black Magic quite a bit and so is comparable to the Buffyverse in many ways, If the writers of season 4 truly embraced the Ubersoldaten concept like Wolfenstein did, instead of just flirting with it, I imagine the season would have been much more solid for it.

As much as I like Season 4, I will concede that the big bad fight scene in the penultimate episode of Season 4 'Primeval', was a clear rip off of The Matrix and thus the whole big bad arc was a bit of an anti-climax (allegedly the Buffy stunt coordinator for 4 years - Jeff Pruitt was fired for these fight scenes).

Season 4 in my opinion has a much more consistent number of great episodes than do later seasons. For example -
    Living Conditions, The harsh Light of day, Wild at heart, The Initiative, Hush, This Year's girl, Superstar, The Yoko factor, & Restless.

11. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Honestly, I've almost only seen posts that go "Why do you hate Season 4?" and "I don't hate Season 4."
    Rarely posts that go "I hate Season 4."

I like Season 4. I hate the Initiative and Season 4 is probably the weakest of all seasons, in my opinion, but I can't deny that season 4 has some awesome episodes.

12. Anya2012

Anya2012 Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!

Riley Finn!! And the Initiative, although I do have a soft spot for Graham.

13. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

A lot changed in season 4. It was a new era for the show and in some ways it was a very different show. That could add to why a lot of people hate it.

Personally I don't hate it at all. It is the first season of Buffy that I watched so I didn't have the comparison to earlier characters/locations/storylines and just took the show at face value and all I saw was clever dialogue, great acting and interesting plot twists and turns. When I went back and watched seasons 1-3 I thought they were good, but no better or worse than what came after.

Astral: College, The Initiative, and Xander being somewhat isolated was a lot to take in.
  14. mudslides

mudslides Guest

I started off really enjoying season 4, then by the middle and especially the end (really didnt enjoy Superstar onwards really) it seemed to drag on for me. Maybe its because its my first ever watch of some of the episodes so they were annoyingly mindbending :p Adam was all hype and no action for me.

15. xfivebyfive

xfivebyfive Because its Fate.

Black Thorn
    I like season 4 a lot I hated it the first time but I think like others said is its not as amazing as the season before but after rewatching I really loved it. It's a good transitional season going from highschool to a more adult setting and the gang trying to hang on to the old with all the changes in their lives. It's like real life in that way the transition from highschool to college or whatever comes next in your life.

16. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I hated the fact that Spike had to be chipped as soon as he returned to Sunnydale. e should have gotten the chance to beat the mortal s**t out of Riley Finn just once before losing the ability to harm humans. I know, Angel got to slug him around a little bit, but I think that Spike could have done a much better job of it, if he had only had the chance. He wouldn't have had to kill him, but a short stint in Intensive Care, say, a month or two, would have been a great character builder for him.

Kean: What did Riley ever do to you? :p
    Jod:
  17. Mr Giles

Mr Giles Potential

I feel like Sheldon with his twitching eye reading all this. Season 4 was the best and thats a factoid.

18. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    I used to believe I didn't like season 4 because of Riley. But then I realised that I actually adore Riley Finn and that S4, despite a less than thrilling arc, has some of the best stand alone episodes in the whole series.

So, after years of disliking the season, I now find that I kind of love it.

white avenger: What did Spike ever do to you?
  19. Hale Caesar

Hale Caesar Sunnydale Nerd

The broken Scooby relationship...which will be back to stay in seasons 6-7 :p

20. Marisa

Marisa Liver Alone

Well I don't hate it I like it more than I used to at times. It is kind of a sometimes thing with season four to me. I don't really like Adam as much. I don't care about the initiative as much. Sometimes it was interesting.

As I get older I don't dislike it as much. I do love Riley in ways and find him adorable. Now I will say maybe because we had two big seasons back to back and then season four came and it was different maybe that is why I don't like it as much. We went from Angel/Spike/Faith/Mayor to Adam/initiative. It wasn't as emotional and my love for the big bads just wasn't the same. That happens though in general for shows that start in high school. You get so used to it that when they leave it is a transition and takes time getting used to.