1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What is the main reason why you hate season 4?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Joshua, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Season 4 is brilliant! I know there's certain opinions you're supposed to subscribe to when it comes to tv, but I have no need for that. I love the season for everything it does and says.

DarkLordsHaunt and GwenRaiden like this.
  2. jellokitty

jellokitty Potential

Black Thorn
    I don't hate season 4, it's just my least favourite season. :p

A huge part of that is Riley Finn who makes beige look interesting. :rolleyes: I really can't stand Riley so I have bias I will admit to. :cool:

I feel for Giles having recently lost his job and feeling like he's drifting without a purpose. That year of not really being 'needed' and not being taken seriously. :( I think after his sacrifice of going against the Council and actually treating his charge like a person... like Buffy, not just as a tool... He lost a lot (including losing Jenny) then was pushed away... I think it led to him becoming that tougher, less sensitive watcher he was by season 7. :oops:

Willow's magic talent wasn't taken seriously and if it had been she would've been more responsible with it. Giles needed to get her a magic tutor. That would've given him a purpose for a while... helping Willow and teaching her to be responsible and not charge (poison) her magic with negative emotions. :rolleyes:

Xander was made to feel left behind too as his friends went off to uni. :oops: Restless is my fave s4 ep for a reason. :p

As for Spike... No! Spike going to his enemy for protection took serious guts because Buffy could've just snorted in disbelief and staked him without even letting him in. Giles too. Sure, he couldn't fight people but he got under their skin and into their issues with his comments and he more than them knew the power of words. :p:rolleyes::oops: I wouldn't go to my worst enemy for help, I'd've gone the Angelus route of sneakiness. Spike is braver than me. :cool:

Buffy... Aigoo... That Parker ep... Parker in general. :mad: The Riley thing... :mad::rolleyes: Plus the curly hair style... Nope. :p

The initiative... :mad: Whether the demons are evil or not, they are still 'living' beings and experimenting on living beings is morally obscene. :mad: Maggie and her 'tin soldiers' supposedly have souls but it was hard to believe when they were experimenting on demons. :mad: I can't excuse that at all. :mad:

nemilyxo and DeadlyDuo like this.
  3. lynn751451

lynn751451 Townie

I'm currently on season 4 in my rewatch of Buffy, and I have to say that I don't completely hate this season. There are some episodes I just don't care for at all. I just watched Superstar and I didn't really like this episode at all. I also didn't care much for Beer Bad and Living Conditions. However, there are certain episodes I have enjoyed quite a bit, such as Pangs, Something Blue, This Year's Girl and Who are you.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 20, 2016 ---
    I don't hate Riley. I just don't care for him and Buffy as a couple. When I first watched season 5, I actually liked that Spike told Buffy about Riley allowing vampires to suck his blood, since it ultimately led to their breakup. I was actually pleased when Buffy didn't arrive on time to prevent Riley from leaving. BTW, I'm not exclusively a Spuffy. I also like Bangel, and I would have also liked it if it had been Angel who had told told Buffy about Riley allowing vampires to suck his blood. I just don't like Buffy and Riley together (too boring).

4. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

I don't know if I hate it but it's definitely one of my least favourite seasons.
    I didn't hate Riley but wasn't his biggest fan either, or the initiative but I do think it was an interesting idea to explore what the outside world knew of the "forces of darkness".
    But we met Tara in season four soo can't dislike it too much!

5. Scavenger

Scavenger Townie

I love season 4. It's what got me back into the show and kept me engaged for so long. I was drifting after season 3. It has some great stand alone episodes, more Spike, some of the best cinematography and is the last season to enjoy the lighter side of the Scoobie's friendship before it all gets depressing in S5, 6 & 7.

I personally prefer the blue and black colour scheme over the bright sandy LA look of the other seasons. Just my personal preference.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  6. Purplemess317

Purplemess317 Townie

I don't hate season 4, but its certainly not a fav ..... As someone else stated the first few episodes were pretty good then somewhere towards the middle to end it began to drag..... I was never a buffy & Riley fan (sorry) it just wasn't doing it for me.... Buffy has a type and initiative boy was not it as said countless times over that season. I mean nothing long lasting obviously.... Normal isn't for Buffy she's the slayer her life will never be normal.... I think she accepted that somewhere along season 6 or 7... Anyway overall it just wasn't very exciting... There were a few good episodes but that's all.... Hush, new moon rising, who are you, and yoko factor were really good just to name a few.... Other than the few stand out episodes I named season 4 was missing something that season 1-3 possessed wish I could better elaborate on what but lol it just wasn't nearly as good

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  7. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I don't get all the season 4 hate. I mean some people list it as their least favorite season. Worst than the gawd awful season 7 or the weak season 6 or even season 1? Seriously?! :eek: o_O Season 4 had some of the best character development. Yes, it could've had a better villain and it had Riley, but season 5 had Dawn for cripes sake. ;) I think that both of those issues might've been avoided had Angel never returned in season 3 and Crouse not had other plans. I mean then maybe Buffy might've already had a different boyfriend from high school. Also sans Riley as commando/slash boyfriend, maybe the writers/Joss do something different with the Initiative or maybe something completely different altogether? It also had Hush, Primeval, Fear Itself & New Moon Rising.

8. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I have a plan for the Initiative in my Buffy season 4 AU fanfic where the initiative aren't military/government run but are a privately run and financed company whose aim is to "rehabilitate" vampires via reconditioning techniques. If the vampire project is successful, then the company wants to branch out into demons. Maggie Walsh is one of the heads of the company (alongside her husband) and the vampire project is of personal significance as their son Adam was killed by a vampire. Walsh still teaches on the side and Riley assists and has a role within the initiative, but scaling it down and removing the government makes it easier and more plausible for things to go wrong such as security breaches.

9. nemilyxo

nemilyxo Townie

Sineya
    the treatment of Giles was one of the main reasons i wasn't a massive fan of this season
    Parker was a such an idiot too!