1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What kind of FanFic do you like to Read

Discussion in 'Introduction To The Watcher Diaries' started by NikonTheVampire, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I mostly read femslash. Fuffy, Willow/Faith, Willow/Buffy, etc. I would be interested in reading non pairing fics that are centered on all of the characters, but I have trouble finding those. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know there are supposed to be some pretty well known ones.

Puppet: In case no one has said this, the Compelled series by Hotpoint :)
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I do like Gen fics and character study fics. I remember a community in Livejournal that only allows Gen fics. Of course, I mostly read Xander-centric fics.

3. NikonTheVampire

NikonTheVampire He who cannot be staked

Black Thorn
    I have read several fanfics.
    Being a Bangel lover, I dig authors on that realm Not romantic zappy fics. But more adventure / Action / General fics.

My favorite fics are Splitting Souls which is simply masterfully written. Than there is The Gift which is a fic about Buffy's daughter. A Tale of Slayers that is an all out action fic.

And my personal favorite is Origin and Season 1 from an author called Bone Dry. That guy must have had a college degree that allowed him to step beyond what character development should be. Simply the best fic I have ever read.

4. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    The only time I have ever read fan fic is to moderate the board, and even then, it was usually a skim to make sure it was within the board parameters. I have never sat down and just read a fanfic for enjoyment. It's just not something I enjoy. There are too many other things I want to read.

5. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Short answer:
    I thoroughly enjoy anything Buffy/Angel which doesn't focus on shipping or relationships. Something driven by plot and action. I especially enjoy and appreciate any works which are more adult/realistically themed.

More explanation:
    As I age, I have an extremely difficult time reading anything 'lovey dovey' or high schoolish (i know not a real word). However I do enjoy the retelling of past television seasons with the author's own interpretations or tweaks. So the retelling of Faith in season 3 for example. Yes it's in a high school setting but the atmosphere is only used as a setting which characters congregate at, not focusing on a teenager's school and fragile love life.

I also enjoy non cannon Buffy/Angel story telling as long as it isn't focused on something like the author representing him/herself in an OC character and he/she falls in love with a cannon character. With barely any plot or conflicts which need to be overcome.

Basically, give me an HBO (or higher/more mature rated) Buffy/Angel fan fiction that has a point to it other than shipping and I'll give it a shot.

Cheers

6. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

Nice thread!

I'd say it depends mostly on the skills of the author to catch my interest. If it's a captivating, well thought out and plausible plot as well as good characterizations, emotions, atmosphere, suspense etc., I'm in. Technical things about writing like grammar, spelling, syntax, dialogs, paragraphs should be mastered to a certain degree as well.

If that is given, I read almost everything . From G to NC-17 (both, sex and violence/gore), Drama, Tragedy, Horror, Romance, Action, Angst, Adventure, Thriller --> every genre, AUs, crossovers, What ifs, PWPs, it doesn't matter.

There're still a few restrictions:

- It must be Willow-centered or Willow must at least have her own interesting sub-arc within the story where she isn't made to the antagonist of the main character. If Willow doesn't appear or is made to the enemy it's very hard to hold my interest. Evil!Willow CAN be fun, though, if it's told from her point of view. :D

- No character bashing! Bashing= bad characterization = bad skill = bad author.

- No all human AUs.

- No fluff. Well, only if it's short and I'm in a really bad mood.

Favored ships: Fillow & Wangel, but ship-centered stories aren't mandatory.

Is here a thread for exchanging fanfic recommendations on this side? Is it even allowed?

7. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    This exactly, we must be reading the same stuff. Spuffy fanfic but nothing AU. I do not want to read about Teacher Spike and Naughty School Girl Buffy. Yuck. I want more Buffy/Spike adventures where they save the world and end up together living happily ever after. Sigh.

8. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

For me the biggest turn off is character bashing. I was reading an interesting fic a while ago, a new idea I've never read before but then the writer went too overboard with the Scoobies bashing that I couldn't keep reading. Buffy was too resentful of the Scoobies and ditched them to stop the apocalypse themselves that I wanted to kick her - not the reaction I assume the writer wanted me to feel.

Thankfully the idea wasn't original and a couple of writers wrote it before but their fics were much better.

9. Scooby Corps

I know exactly what you mean. Thankfully, most bashfics walk hand in hand with really bad writing skills, so they are usually spotted right away after reading a few paragraphs. But there are also those authors who have actually the skill to write a really good story only to ruin it because they let their dislikes about certain characters flow in. You have already read around 50.000 words and are really captivated but then one character acts suddenly completely OOC, turns evil and is killed off or expelled or in general completely miserable. It's frustrating and annoying.

The only funny thing is that there are patterns. Many Spuffy and Tuffy fics tend to be Willow bashing. I don't know how many have made Willow's into a cruel, evil and crazy bitch only to give Spike a justified reason to kill her off (not seldom gruesomely). With everybody, even Xander, being totally happy about it.

The same with Wangel. Buffy goes postal in a jealousy driven rampage and usually tries to kill them by using devious methods.

Xander-centered fics: Xander is super and handles everything with ease while Willow and Buffy behave like arrogant, stupid, incompetent and bitchy amateurs.

The list goes on and on...

10. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

And the Xander bashing, and the Riley bashing and the Angel bashing. Some Spuffy fics are filled with those. Last one I read was nothing but Giles bashing and it turned me off.

I steer away from those fics. I like my Xander without a superpower, thank you. There is even an LJ community called "The Real Xander" which forbids fics with superpowered Xander.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 5, 2016 ---
    DoktorRock: I'll check that out. Thanks. :)

If you want some good Xander fics. I can rec you. :)

DoktorRock: I'll check that out. Thanks. :)
  11. Scooby Corps

Yay, as long as it doesn't have M/M content, or better, is not centered around the M/M content I'd really like you to rec me some stuff. :) As for genres, ratings, violence etc., I'm pretty open to everything.

If your repertoire allows it, I'd prefer Xander stories where Willow plays a bigger role too. It's just that I usually tend to miss her otherwise, regardless how good the story is or that I like Xander's character too.

But I'd give everything else a shot as well.

12. GoSpuffy

Black Thorn
    I"m not sure what M/M is?

sosa lola: Male/Male Slash AKA Spander.
  13. GoSpuffy

Black Thorn
    @sosa lola ohhh...I'm okay with that. You have to have some m/m for spangel and I'm starting to be oddly attracted to Spander. Now who is it who got me into that again??? Oh yeah, you. :)

sosa lola: I will use my powers to turn all the BuffyBoards memebers into Spanders. Mwa ha ha ha :)
  14. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    DoktorRock: Yup, I know most of her stuff. Some of the early ones are really dark and sinister. A very good author.
  15. Scooby Corps

@sosa lola
    to be more precisely; I meant explicit slash sex content. I don't have a problem with PG-13 gay romances. Not at all. It's just me being a straight guy and all...

And I'm even fine with NC-17 Spander, Spangel or Xangel if you put Willow in the middle between them.:D

16. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Fic post: Anamnesis

Anamnesis:

Spike will inevitably wake up and say something obnoxious about Buffy or about destiny. When Angel goes downstairs, Eve will inevitably be waiting with dire predictions about the equilibrium of the universe.

Some things never change; Spike is an asshole and fate is a question mark.

Some things do; this is memory transposed.

17. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I remember a website - not sure if it's still around - that hosts everything Xander, Willow, Angel and Spike. All the fics had those four as main characters: either Xander/Spike and Willow/Angel or Xander/Angel and Willow/Spike or Xander/Willow and Angel/Spike. My sister and I devoured all the fics there. :D Of course, my sis is too uptight she only reads Spander and nothing else, unlike me who likes to mix and mingle with Xander.

One of the stories I remember was The Magic of Computers by Saber Shadow Kitten, which was Willow/Angel and Xander/Spike.

I will make a list of Xander fics that feature Willow for you soon :)

Scooby Corps likes this.
  18. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Many Loves - 1 :: 2 :: 3 :: 4 :: 5 :: 6 :: 7 :: 8 :: 9 :: 10 :: 11 :: 12 :: 13 :: 14 :: 15 A not-so-brief history of William the Bloody, including a hundred and twenty years, two girlfriends, three doomed obsessions, four continents, nine haircolors, four parties, three torture scenes, two blowjobs, twelve consecutive shots of whiskey, forty-three thousand eight hundred packs of cigarettes, and a car theft. S/D, S/A, S/H, S/B; NC-17 for violence, het and slash sex, and industrial-strength angst.

Dolls are the first thing I see.

I can *feel* their eyes on me. Peering. Watching me. China cheeks and black curls and. Glass eyes. They frighten me so badly that I hastily lay back down and shut my eyes again.

((dolls))

((darkness))

((where am i))

Curiosity, at great length, finally defeats paralyzing fear, and I peel my eyelids open slowly to see

-a ceiling. Good one that, William. You're just a wealth of knowledge this evening- morning? Who knows? It's not a particularly familiar ceiling, but that isn't telling me much. It's nice as ceilings go but for God's sake William stop being such a pansy and sit up and look around, is that too much to ask?

Calm down. Breathe.

Not helping. Try not breathing? Similarly, no effect, very worrisome; a much older and larger cousin held my head in a bucket of water for nearly three minutes once when I was eleven years old, I know what not breathing feels like and it doesn't feel *anything* like this. Am I dead? I can't be dead; this isn't Heaven. It's got a nice enough ceiling, true, but it can't be Heaven, and I can't be in Hell because I've never done

((anything at all))

anything wrong. All right, William, you can open your eyes and investigate your surroundings, or you can lay here like the cowardly ponce you are.

That's good. Laying here, very good.

DoktorRock: Thanks but it's the wrong thread. :P
    Scooby Corps likes this.
  19. Scooby Corps

@sosa lola Uuuh, that one, I don't know. If you or somebody else remember, please tell me. Even if it doesn't exist anymore, there might be a chance using Wayback Machine.

There's Redsoulmates, a resurrected Willow/Angel/Spike fanfiction portal. It contains everything around those three in variate pairings. Highly recommended.

20. Sternbeeere

Sternbeeere Glory┬┤s sane(?) groupie

I like femslash and f/f romantic stuff, alternative scenario fanfics of certain events and fanfic that fills up some plot holes or vague information.