1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What kind of FanFic do you like to Read

Discussion in 'Introduction To The Watcher Diaries' started by NikonTheVampire, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    I like how you think . I also hate WIP for that reason . A lot of times they build up to something nice & then just stop so you left hanging .
    Or & even worse the start off good & then just wander all over the place .

As for me It easer for me to say what kind of fic I don't like . One type I don't like is one in which Xasnder has some kind of superpower or we find out
    he was adopeted & his real parents are powerful. That too AU for me . Another one is Buffy/Giles as a pair since that strikes me as wrong as Giles should
    be better than that . Lastly I like Buffy more with Spike than Angel so I don't read much about Buffy /Angel.

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I first started reading fanfic after stumbling onto a Buffy/Willow Femslash site by accident (Badly worded search - My excuse & I'm sticking to it) :rolleyes:
    Read through quite a few of them but they became a bit 'samey' after a while so I had a go at writing my own.
    After binning my first few attempts I realised I was more interested in exploring a Buffy/Faith pairing & that is where I am today.
    I've currently got 3 B/F WIP on the go, & for the reasons discussed earlier wouldn't dream of letting them out into the world until they were finished, proof-read
    a few times, & I was happy with them.

My stories tend to be taken from a point in the series & then go for a 'what if' & slowly drift off canon rather than total AU. I like to always keep my characters
    as Joss & co. intended (apart from the Buffy/Faith romantic leanings - though I think that was slightly hinted at anyway), and always try to imagine how they
    would react to the new scenarios.

So for example, one of my fics explores what would have happened if The Powers that be had sent Faith back to Sunnydale in Season 6 & she managed to prevent
    Buffy & Tara from getting shot, but ends up getting herself wounded instead.

As for ones I have read recently:-
    'Of little Faith' by Jinxgirl - Really enjoyed this one
    'Swings' by Princess Dushku - This one is really angsty....Really rips your heart out!

3. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I've talked about this one before. It totally destroyed me for like three days. It's one of my favorites, despite being pretty out of character in my opinion. I think it kind of becomes it's own thing. I'm working on a Fuffy fic recommendation list right now and this one's on it.

4. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Ooh that sounds interesting. I would love to see it when you are done. Always on the lookout for new Fuffy fic especially if it comes recommended. :)

Read one recently that said it was complete....it wasn't, & hadn't been updated since 2011 :mad:
    Felt like hunting them down & introducing them to a sharp piece of wood.....

5. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    God, I hate that. For recommendations, have you read Who to Blame or (Just Give Me a Reason) by leialovesfaith? It's one of my favorites, and very angsty, although it could be triggering to some people. Who to Blame or (Just Give Me A Reason) - leialovesfaith - Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Archive of Our Own]
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    I would love to read any of your recommendations, as I'm also always looking for more Fuffy. I feel like I've read them all...

6. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I read quite a few before I started keeping track of what I had read & where I found them. Then I guess as sites change & new storage media become available
    they get moved. I started finding new sites but with stories that I had read before.
    Of the ones I have read recently, these were some of the better ones:-
    Of little Faith - by Jinxgirl (quite liked this one - interesting idea)
    Standing on the edge of tomorrow - by Vilandra4
    Crashing Down - by Asher Monroe
    When the past escapes you - by Lost1n7heDark
    Slayer Central - by Teeney8040
    Creed - by Shaw thing

Monkey Pants likes this.
  7. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I'll have to check if I've read those ones :). And if you haven't read the one I linked I definitely recommend it

8. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Was intending to have a look tonight :D

Monkey Pants likes this.
  9. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Finished 'Who to blame' last night. Rather good I thought. Nice to read one with a happy ending for a change.....Thanks for the reco!
    Though when she met the college girl in the bar I was all 'Noooooo! Don't be an idiot Faith!!!' so I guess I got quite wrapped up in it all :oops::rolleyes:
    Any more recommendations like that?
    I need a little post-Christmas escapism.... :)

10. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Glad to hear you liked it at least a little haha! I really love that one because the way everyone reacts to situations feels very in character imo, and it's emotional.
    Others I enjoy are:
    Humble Me by Priscilla19 Humble Me Chapter 1, a buffy: the vampire slayer fanfic | FanFiction
    Find a Way by Bobina The Chosen Two Archives :: A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community
    Apocalyptic Splendor by YourFairyGodfather Apocalyptic Splendor, a buffy: the vampire slayer fanfic | FanFiction

Also I'm not sure if you've read anything by aliceinwonderbra, electra126 or Sapphire Smoke on ff.net, but they're all really good. If you want me to I can tell you my favorites of theirs.

If you read all these, I may be able to remember some others I like haha, I haven't written most of them down.
    Again, these are fairly angsty...

Last Watcher likes this.
  11. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I've read 'Crush', 'Somnaire', 'Sparks', & 'The Awakening' - by Aliceinwonderbra
    and
    'Something cold behind her smile' - by Electra126
    I've also read 'Apocalyptic Splendor' - by YourFairyGodfather
    Not seen anything by Sapphire Smoke as far as I can remember.....
    Will give the other ones you mentioned a look though....Thanks again :)

12. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I prefer reading gen and friendship fics. I was just talking about an old Spander fic in another thread: while the Spander part was great, I was more hooked with the Giles-Xander plot where Giles adopts Xander at the end of S1 and how their relationship as father and son develops from there.

13. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

I can vouch for Electra and Sapphire Smoke. I read there stuff a long time ago when BnF.net was around.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    May as well add, Anyone know of any fics/authors of more adult oriented Buffy/Angel fanfiction? Doesn't really matter what season, but as I've grown older i prefer more adult material. Death, drugs, sex, rock n' roll, incredible battles, villains who are actually evil/psychotic and indulge in graphic acts. I'm not looking for happy, everythig ends well, Fuffy shipping material. Been there, and done that. I mean like, the bad guys actually win major battles/victories and the good guys have to throw morals out the window to survive.

Start a private conversation with me if you can point me in the right direction, but are not comfortable with public ally posting please. The rating of the fic doesn't matter to me. I'm a big boy, i can handle fiction

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  14. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Sorry I don't read Buffy/Angel, but trust me there are tons of adult, unhappy Fuffy fics haha.

15. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Been reading FivebyFive89's Shadow & Flame which is a sequel to Don't Fear the Reaper. Both are post-Chosen fics. Pretty much all of the original cast are in them. Both are pretty good. One of my favorites is FineyMcfine's Racing the Rain. This one is total real world (no supernatural) AU. This one is just Willow & Tara.

16. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Finally got time to read 'Humble me' and 'Find a way' last night......They were shorter than I expected so I did them in one sitting....
    Like the way in Humble me that if you want a happy ending you read the epilogue as well :)

Any others like these you think are worth reading?
    Been liking your reco's so far :)

17. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I have a few other ones I love. You may have read them before but oh well :)
    Contrition by AeschylusRex Contrition - AeschylusRex - Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Archive of Our Own]
    Just a Counterfeit James Dean by impertinence Just A Counterfeit James Dean - impertinence - Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Archive of Our Own]
    Those are both pretty long and really good.

Coming Home by m_phoenix Coming Home - m_phoenix (liminalsmith) - Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Archive of Our Own]
    Sympathetic Magic by gloss Sympathetic Magic - gloss - Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Archive of Our Own]
    The Best Policy by zulu (her other stuff is good too) The Best Policy - zulu - Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Archive of Our Own]
    These are all pretty short and some are almost pwp, but they're good.

I'm not sure if you've read any by Sapphire Smoke but these are my favorites of hers:
    The Words We Could Never Say The Words We Could Never Say Chapter 1, a buffy: the vampire slayer fanfic | FanFiction
    Five Times Buffy Lied & One Time She Didn't Five Times Buffy Lied & The One Time She Didn't Chapter 1: I, a buffy: the vampire slayer fanfic | FanFiction
    The Chain of Destiny The Chain Of Destiny Chapter 1: High School: Hell with Florescent Lights, a buffy: the vampire slayer fanfic | FanFiction (This one is a long AU that doesn't officially have an ending, but it's okay because it pretty much does conclude anyway)
    One Hundred One Hundred Chapter 1: Romance, a buffy: the vampire slayer fanfic | FanFiction
    This author has a few other good ones if you search through her page.

Also, not sure if you've read this one, but
    After the Fall by Electra126 After The Fall Chapter 1, a buffy: the vampire slayer fanfic | FanFiction (A really good, long AU)
    She has other good ones if you search through like Dance of Joy, Murmur and Walk of Shame (these are shorter)

18. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

i try to get into it but so much of the writing is so simple and just bad. i feel mean saying that like clearly a fan can write fanfic regardless of their writing abilities but i just hate having to weed out the good from the bad. I dont know i have a preference of what i like to read im just always after great writing.
    if anyone wants to recommend some well written fics id love that!

19. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I recently got into Spuffy fanfic and am now obsessed. The writing is deeply inconsistent so you have to be selective, but I can forgive most things because I love the characters so much

20. ILLYRIAN

ILLYRIAN Druish Pervonian Wizard

Black Thorn
    At the moment I like to write fan-fics that take characters to another level, I always have even the first ones I wrote.
    What I strive to do is write them correctly without mistakes errors or omissions in grammar and/or punctuation.
    As for writing completed fics the reader should look at the last instalment for that , ' To Be Continued ' or ' The End '
    If writers don't state that, I don't read their fics.
    If people would bother to say what they think about what they have read, it might improve the writers next fan fic
    I'd like to recommend my last fic but once it has been posted I never read it, I just hope I've got it right.