1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What would you do if you were in charge of Rebooting Season 1 of BTVS?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by NikonTheVampire, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Think you are right, the relationship itself is an interesting idea and there are some sweet moments like you say, I guess it got more interesting post-season one when they added a bit more to Angel's character. I don't mind them bringing him back in S3 because it gives their storyline closure and they do some different things with it like in Amends and the stuff with Faith for example. The only thing they got wrong was rushing his return.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Yeah, t was Ats that made me really like him. He had a lot more depth. Without Buffy his moral compass expanded into new possibilities - to have him go dark again on Buffy would have been ridiculous.

Puppet likes this.
  3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Except I think showing Angel's dark side and the damage he could do actually does make his relationship with Buffy more interesting when he returns to being Angel. And I he does have a moral dilema like we see in Amends. But you are right he did need his own show to move on after that, which is why I'm not sure that the Buffy episode near the start of Angel was the best idea.

4. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

If you are a purest, insisting that Buffy and the Whedonverse remains basically intact, then take a page from the "Star Trek" franchise's book. Pick one defining moment and change it. For instance, Buffy was never expelled from her original school for burning down the gym. Then have the key characters be introduced there, not in Sunnydale, with subtle differences at first, differences that can, over time, be developed in such a way as to eventually change the entire story line. Xander is a drop out and Willow is his girlfriend. Faith is the captain of Buffy's cheer leading squad, and her best friend. Angel is the nerdy school librarian who is fascinated by tales of the supernatural, and is turned into a vampire by Dawn. Giles is a semi-famous writer who specializes in vampire stories, and is an expert on vampire lore. Spike is a demon fighter who Buffy falls in love with at first sight and from whom learns everything that she knows about Slaying after her Watcher, Merrick, dies.

That way, the story is both the same and different, so that it can stand on its own, but still be recognizable as being in the same basic universe, just slightly askew from the "real" Buffyverse.

bespangeled: But I still like moving to the other hellmouth as the change.
    Ethan Reigns and Mr Trick like this.
  5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I'll be honest I love the sound of just about all of those ideas! And would love to see it They should hire you to work on the script rather than those Hollywood hack script writers!;)

bespangeled: Oh, thank you! I would love to have the job!
    bespangeled likes this.
  6. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    If we didn't have Bangel Season 1 then we wouldn't get Bangel Season 2- which makes a lot of that season's finest moments imo. So no, keep it- just delete I robot, You Jane' and/or 'Teacher's Pet' and have another Master-centric episode.
    He's supposed to be the Big Bad of the season and he's barely present.

7. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    If Buffy were rebooted today, it would be a travesty. Especially considering Hollywood's present climate of political correctness....they'd be so busy trying to include EVERY group and not offend anyone, it would be a joke.

Let Buffy rest in peace. Death to reboots.

Puppet likes this.
  8. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Yeah, but Buffy never really dealt with a lot of that. Willow and Tara didn't have to deal with any haters, nor did Willow deal with antisemitism. The bullying and other social issues were dealt with but never a huge problem for the main characters. I'd stay with that, but upgrade the technology. Demons and vampires - these are the tings they fight - or else just make another high school drama.

Now I would actually like to see more of a mix - lily white suburban teens got kinda meh. I like what Faith brought to the show just from being an urban kid with a different background. Buffy was a show that offended a lot of people - I see no reason to change that.

The change I see is that we have moved to the hellmouth in Cleveland - which is canon. I also can't see repeating each episode, and each arc. What worked decently in a movie would be dull on television, IMO

9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Think it really depends on the studio and directors/writers. Thing is it was a very progressive and liberal show anyway. Of course if Whedon wasn't involved somehow I doubt I'd watch it.

Think my main concern if it was a hollywood production is that just throwing money at it. And the prospect of the re-casting would be scary:eek: I'm convinced it will happen one day, just because they seem to be rebooting everything else and will believe that there is enough of an audience for it to be a success.

bespangeled likes this.
  10. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    Exactly. But these days, none of the studios or directors are willing to risk offending ANYBODY. Expressing an opinion can be interpreted as "hate speech", and then there'll be the inevitable calls for boycotts, etc. I couldn't imagine the outcry if they tried those scenes where Xander thought the football player was a werewolf...but turned out to be gay. Xander's reaction would be labelled homophobic. It wouldn't be considered humorous these days, the media outcry would be deafening. Sad.

They'd recast with rappers, reality tv stars and over the top gay couples. Buffy would slay, but also fight for PETA and the pro-life movement. Besides slaying, Buffy would attend twerking competitions. None of the Scoobys would wear fur and they'd only drive vehicles good for the enviorment...

Just kill me now.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Puppet and thetopher like this.
  11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Not that I pro a Buffy reboot (I'm not), but they didn't do that with the Bond or Batman reboots. So I really do think it depends on who is handling the material and the amount of freedom they get.

12. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    Absolutely. :)

13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I don't really see the issues there. That's a bit like saying you should never watch anything from the 1950s because of all the things invented since. As long as something holds up based on its characters and stories that is the main thing.

I honestly can't see anyone else buy SMG playing Buffy. She is perfect. End of for me.

14. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    There are some things that should never be rebooted:

Back to the Future
    The Sound of Music
    Mary Poppins (gaaaaah!)

I don't class BtVS in the list, but I wouldn't want it rebooted just because it's the fashionable thing to do. I'd want it rebooted because it's the right thing to do. Saying this, I can't ever think of a reason why it'd ever be right.

I'd personally prefer a 20th anniversary commemorative episode, starring Sarah, Alyson, Nicholas, Anthony et al, showing Buffy and friends in their late thirties and what being an almost 40-year-old slayer means in today's society. It'd be hard to do, what with DB & JM clearly having aged (maybe some clever CGI?) but that would be perfect (and ideal, what with the 20th anniversary coming up next year) ;)

Puppet and Mr Trick like this.
  15. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Try reading the books - Mary Poppins would be completely unrecognizable in a reboot based on them.

16. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

In the best case scenario this would be a tough job. Would it be more of a reboot or a BSG style 're-imagining'?! With a reboot with the core Scoobies, you'd have the problem of recasting much beloved characters. Not to mention how different they might be written for this version. With a re-imagining, you'd have to be careful not to change too much of what made the original so well loved. Either would be a nearly impossible undertaking.

Puppet, bespangeled and Mr Trick like this.
  17. WileyDairyGnome

WileyDairyGnome Strong like an Amazon

Sineya
    I don't want a remake. I would much rather get a reboot with the original cast, like they have done with Gilmore Girls, Full House, The X Files, etc.

But if they were to do a remake... I'm not sure how I would feel about that. SMG IS Buffy Summers. I can't imagine her being played by anyone else and being able to take it seriously.

Also, I'm not sure it would really work during this time. One of the things that was so special about Buffy is the time that it was made. In a lot of ways, Buffy was made way ahead of its time because the show was of a quality that surpassed really any other show (and it still does), but it was made at the perfect time. Back when things like coming out as gay was not that common on TV (heck, the Tillow kiss was the first lesbian kiss on a TV show), or when there weren't really cell phones so it wasn't as easy to reach people, etc.

I feel like if they remade Buffy and made a new TV show using today's technology and focusing on social media and such, it would turn out like that "Scream" TV show which was absolutely terrible with terrible acting and writing and all of the social media and stuff just made it cringe-worthy. It's almost like they were trying so hard to say "Look at us! We're so modern and trendy!"

18. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

If they were to do a Buffy reboot, please make Buffy a nickname. ;)

19. cryptwarmer

cryptwarmer I'm in charge of morale!

Black Thorn
    I'd say reboot the concept but not the characters. Don' try to do the continuing adventures of Buffy and the Scoobies, but pick a modern day Slayer and go from there. They could either stick with the one girl in all the world bit, or build on the end of S7.

Personally I'd prefer there not to be a ton of Slayers, but a few might be cool. It might be neat to have someone play some of the old vampires that we know and love because they'd still be hanging around and maybe a guest visit from the original cast in their original roles but doing what they'd be doing today.

So the show wouldn't be Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it would have either another girl's name or girls' names, or heck just "The Slayers of Vampyrs".

I don't think they should ever recast the roles of our heroes and start at the beginning again.

Puppet likes this.
  20. WileyDairyGnome

WileyDairyGnome Strong like an Amazon

Sineya
    Maybe I wouldn't mind a TV show reboot titled "Slayers" or maybe "Slayr" like "Vampyr", and the show could be about all of the potential slayers in the world that became full-slayers at the end of Buffy.