1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

What would you rather giles had left you in his will?

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by mackenzie99, Nov 29, 2015.

1. mackenzie99

mackenzie99 Potential

Would you rather be buffy,who got the slayer book from season 1 or Faith who got the house,horses and money.
    Personally id rather be Faith,because despite what she thinks she was chosen as the slayer too so I don't think she needed the slayer book to know that.
    What do you think?

thetopher likes this.
  2. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Me: Horses, house and money. And Buffy always was The Slayer, she didn't need any reassurance.

3. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

The red Mercedes two seater would have suited me just fine, or even the antique Citroen DS (those things are VALUABLE) He could donate all the other stuff to charity.

4. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    The problem is that Giles left everything to Faith and nothing to Buffy. The reasonable thing to do would have been to split his properties and money between the Slayers - both needed it and deserved it. And give the book to Buffy.

5. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I'd have liked his record collection.

6. Wildfly

Wildfly blue fire

Black Thorn
    why he did that?

7. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Did I happen to know about S10?

If so I would keep the book. The book of changing magic rules in Faith's hands. That probably means in Angel's hands. *shudder*

8. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I'd prefer the farm, horses etc. But especially that London flat- probably worth a small fortune in property value.

At the end of the day Giles treated Faith like a daughter and Buffy like the slayer- leaving them both what he thought they needed, because he and Buffy hadn't been close or partners for a while before then.
    I'm sure if Giles had surived the end of S8 he may have changed is will to be a bit more even in splitting his property, but he couldn't see the future and didn't know in what circumstances he was going to die.

Wildfly: Strange. After being Buffy's father figure for so many years he treats her in his will merely as the Slayer. Could've at least left her something sentimental to remember him by.
    Wildfly and mackenzie99 like this.
  9. mackenzie99

mackenzie99 Potential

It was really shocking how the relationship between Giles and Faith went,cause isn't this suppose to be just a year after chosen?

10. thetopher

Sineya
    More like 18+ months after Chosen. That's when it starts, and the whole 'No Future For You' thing is early on in the season.
    Probably 20-ish months after Chosen, since the entirity of S8 is said to have taken place over a year during the whole 'Twilight' thing.

11. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Twilight #2.0

I second that... :)

That makes things worse - it was just spiteful of him to do that. It doesn't matter that they weren't in their best terms; that didn't change their whole story together.

That doesn't matter - he knew that with the life he had, he could die at any given moment, and to have a will was the right thing to do. And since he had no children, one would think that Buffy would be his main concern.

The fact that he grew attached to Faith is OK; again, the problem was that he took time to (re)write a will that benefited her, and only her.

crazysoulless likes this.
  12. thetopher

Sineya
    How is it spiteful to acknowledge that somebody no longer needs you? Especially since Buffy had done her fair share of pushing away in her relationship with Giles. So why is he spiteful and she isn't?
    Add in the fact that Buffy is at least partly responsible for his death- willingly boinking Twilight!Angel- and I'd say that she got what she deserved- something to help her with the slaying. She already had a life, friends, family, support.

We can only assume that Giles considered the fact that Buffy having a frigging castle and unlimited funding for her slayer army was going to be enough for her- he couldn't have forseen all its destruction at the hands of Twilight and co in thoise final weeks where they fled to Tibet.
    Faith on the other hand had nothing other than been given the shitty jobs in a second class Hellmouth. Giles was looking out for those who thought he needed the most help.

13. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Giles had never supported Buffy financially (aside from that check he gave her); she said she didn't need him any more as a Watcher, and he really didn't like that - OK, it's natural to be hurt, but what isn't cool is to be spiteful about it (he was a grow man, her father figure!).

"He couldn't have forseen all its destruction at the hands of Twilight and co in thoise final weeks where they fled to Tibet", as you have just said.

But no money, no house, no paying job. The castle wasn't hers - I doubt that the deed was in her name - and the money was donations or stolen. And I'm not talking about material things per se (although that means a lot, yes), but about the lack of caring from Giles' side.

And Buffy worked at the great Doublemeat Palace. And then at a café in San Francisco. Waiting tables.

crazysoulless likes this.
  14. thetopher

Sineya
    If Buffy doesn't need him anymore then fine, Giles will go where he was needed. Faith needed and respected him and didn't shut him out when he was only trying to help her (as Bufyf did in 'NFFY').
    Buffy should've made up her mind- she pushed Giles away first.

Well, I meant that in my opinion Buffy got what she deserved, which is not much. First apocalypse she had a hand in creating, I don't think she should get Giles' stuff.

Again Giles can't forseen the future so he did what he did and gave what he thought they both needed. I still don't think it was in any way spiteful or cruel.
    I think Faith was right when she said that Giles believed in Buffy more, which is why he favoured Faith (the 'weaker' slayer) in terms of support wheras he just gave Buffy the slayer essentails.
    Buffy thinking of this of a slight against her fits her- mostly self-centered- world view.

15. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Giles was working with Faith (or better, using Faith to do the dirty work) behind Buffy's back; Buffy didn't like or trust Faith, and to make things worse, she was almost drowned by her. Buffy felt betrayed - again.

That's the explanation Faith gave for Giles having left all his possessions to her, just a theory.

Buffy cried – shocked of knowing that Giles didn't give a crap about her, more than about she would not inherit anything valuable. Everyone else hated it (“Xander stared a hate beam through me, and that's just with the one eye”, said Faith), everyone saw how unfair and wrong it was. And all this isn't about Faith – Giles could and should have left something for her; but not all things.

16. thetopher

Sineya
    Giles tried to use Faith but Faith had other ideas and tried to do things a different way- tried to save somebody from themselves/ a controlling influence. It's why I love the arc.

Buffy reverted to type first and attacked Faith verbally whilst physically assaulted her. Faith responded back and chose not to drown Buffy.
    Buffy might've felt betrayed but Giles and Faith were actually both there trying to help her. Buffy was simply an idiot for jumping to conclusions.

And a valid one. All through S6 and 7 Giles has been of the opinion that Buffy was more or less a fully grown woman- an adult- who needed to stand on her own. He gave her an important book to keep in her posession because she was still 'his slayer'.

That's just another theory. That's what Buffy thinks (and Xander thinks) because they've always wanted to see the worst of Faith and her motives. I guess its her lot in life.

17. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Totally agree.

Understable, due to the situation that, suddenly, she saw herself in.

So adults should not inherit anything from their parents, never. I don't think that one thing has anything to do with the other.

Nothing to do with Faith, but with the fact that Giles left all to her and nothing to Buffy. Although being Faith the sole beneficiary did not help.

18. mackenzie99

mackenzie99 Potential

Well Giles did sort of owe Faith for ignoring her and leaving her in a dirty motel room in season 3 when she was what 16 or 17?

gite63 and thetopher like this.
  19. thetopher

Sineya
    'Jumping to conclusions' is not an understable reaction. It is a dumb reaction. How did Buffy think Faith was going to respond to being attracked?
    You made it seem like Buffy getting almost drowned came out of the blue when in fact Faith was actually defending herself when Bufyf refused to listen to her (and didn't beleive what she was saying).

It's not a garantee depending on the relationship between parent and child. Oh, and Giles did give Buffy something. Something vital as it turns out..

Tell that to Buffy and Xander who blamed Faith, not Giles, for the results of the will- staring hate daggers at her and calling her 'utterly selfish' in S9.

20. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    As I said, Buffy was caught in a situation she barely comprehended, without time to access it and see what was really happening; she was at the castle, and next, she was with the enemy. Faith happened to be there, too, and yeah, Buffy jumped to conclusions because of their history. But they were fighting, a fair fight between two Slayers - and then, the old Faith's insecurities and jealousies surfaced again and she grabbed Buffy's neck and tried to drown her:

FAITH: Whenever she is around, you're the villain. But as soon she's gone, you're the hero.

Points to Faith here: she really had changed, she was a better person then, and she freed Buffy of her clutches.

Now, these "old insecurities and jealousies" that I'm talking about had just been reinforced by... Giles. He looked for Faith to ask her to kill a human being. A thing he would never ask Buffy to do. At the same time, he dies, and because he was hurt, or mad, or offended, he decides to make sure that Buffy gets the message: you are just The Slayer, not my surrogate daughter. This, after leaving her in S6 and betraying her in S7.

Yes, the grow-ups should have stepped up; it was what Joyce kind of did, making Buffy invite Faith for Christmas. Giles was a Watcher, member of that respected institution of his, and he should have helped Faith, but... he didn't.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    mackenzie99 likes this.