1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question What's the point of sending Angel and LA to Hell if they didn't want Angel dead?

Discussion in 'Angel: After the Fall' started by Napoleon, May 25, 2014.

1. Napoleon

Napoleon Potential

Black Thorn
    They also turned Angel human, which increases his chance of being dead. And at the end they turn back time so that Angel is kept alive. So what was the point of sending him to a hell dimension as a human?

2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I think that the reason for sending Angel and all of LA to hell was basically the same as their plan to have him burn up in the hellmouth and come back incorporeal (which got screwed up when Buffy sent him away and gave the amulet to Spike). He would be totally under their control, so that the only way for him to become his old self again would be to strike a deal with them.

As for Angel being human in hell, I can't remember them ever actually saying that he was human. I know that he lost his strength, speed, and rapid healing powers while there, so he probably was, but if he remained a vampire, albeit a powerless one, he could have retained his immortality, which in and of itself would have made him at least harder to kill, if not totally invulnerable. Course, that's only a guess. It's been a long time since I read the books, so I'm probably wrong about that. If so, then it was probably just some obscure plan by the Senior Partners to keep Angel confined in a relatively controlled environment and basically helpless to interfere with their plans.

(Come to think about it, though, Angel finally escaped by stabbing himself with a knife, so I guess he actually was human.)

3. Napoleon

Napoleon Potential

Black Thorn
    "We can't let Angel die. We need to keep Angel alive for the pivotal role he'll play in the apocalypse"

"Sure, let's send him and LA to a hell dimension but make Angel human"

"Yeah. Surrounded by all sorts of demons. That works."

4. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I think Angel royally pissed the Senior Partners off by killing some of their key players on Earth (on at least on the West Coast) and decided to teach Angel a lesson.

He played them masterfully so maybe they just wanted some revenge. Higher powers/ powerful demons can be petty too. :)

5. Buffyverse Fan

Buffyverse Fan * The 28th *

Sineya
    Agreed. It's a very similar mindset to the suburban prison where they stored Lindsey, then Gunn.

SUBURBAN PRISON:
    • Give them a life that they care about.
    • Tear it away in the most gruesome way possible.
    • ^Making them feel completely powerless in the process.

helLA:
    • Angel already cared about Los Angeles, considering it his city, falling under his protection.
    • They sent all of it into a hell dimension, making Angel an outright failure as its guardian.
    • They probably thought they were making him helpless, considering his presumed uselessness as Liam.

6. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    I didn't have got the point, either, but maybe you are right; after they calmed down themselves, they thought "What THE HELL WE HAVE DONE! Angel can't die!"