1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

When Darla dusted herself, the baby should've disappeared too

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Anyanka Bunny Killer, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    Seriously, the baby shouldn't even be here if the vampire mother ended herself. How is that even possible?
    The baby was connected to the mother when she "died" so...?

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Totally agree. I mean their clothes and jewelry disappear with dusted for pete's sake! The little cesarean should never have worked. Though, two vampers having a human kid should never have worked either; that's the power of Jasmine.

3. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    I was thinking of it the other day! There is no plausible explanation for the clothes to turn dust!

The baby I can understand: Darla was a vampire, dead, without a soul; Conor was alive inside her and had a soul - it's absurd, too, but as you said, that was the power of Jasmine...

4. Wildfly

Wildfly blue fire

Black Thorn
    It seems that besides the placental barrier there was a magical one protecting the baby (if i remember correctly Darla couldn't abort it nor do a cesarean section) so it probably also protected the baby from the exothermic reaction (that is the staking). This is the only explanation i can come up with as I know Connor isnt pinoccio and only wood has the magical qualities to resist becoming dust after staking. ...

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Also, on several occasions, we have seen crossbow bolts and even the stakes that dusts the vampire disappear as well, unless it is quickly withdrawn. If you assume that destroy the vampires also destroy everything directly attached to them, such as clothes, jewelry, and the occasional wooden instrument, then it would be logical to assume that baby Connor, being directly attached to his mother, would have been destroyed along with her.

6. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I assume the same prophecies that led to Connor being born of two vampires was enough to protect him from...well, being born from two vampires.

7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Magic baby. :)
    Connor is 'the Destroyer'- prophesiced to come into being, not a human. Therefore he didn't go poof with his Mum.

Plus jewelry doesn't always disappear when vampires poof, in one episode Giles and Buffy find a ring that one of them was wearing- something ritualistic/occult-y.

8. Tez

Tez Townie

I think there clothes only disappear cause it would be super weird if there was a load of vampire clothes lying around everywere and technically if Darla was already in Labour what happened to her wouldn't matter right ? I don't know could be wrong

9. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Satsu Otaku

Sineya
    The baby had a soul, which is what caused Darla to be able to feel empathy and actually sacrifice herself for someone else. (Which she wouldn't have even considered doing normally.) Having a soul, Connor was considered a separate entity and so wasn't dusted.

Yes, this raises questions about when life begins in the Buffyverse that probably would have been awkward, if they'd chosen to address it at all. Which I'm sure is why they didn't.

10. Taaroko

Taaroko Gunner of the USS Buffy/Angel

It isn't weird to me at all that Connor didn't dust with Darla, without even taking the magical protection into account. A baby's bloodstream is separate from the mother's, which I'm sure is a major factor in how sometimes babies can still be delivered alive even if the mother dies late in the pregnancy (although you've gotta move really fast for that). Also, Connor is human, so he doesn't have whatever it is that makes vampires turn to dust in the first place. Just because he's in Darla's belly, it doesn't mean he's one of her organs or something. He's just living in one of them.

I have more questions about the absence of the umbilical cord and placenta, but I've always let that slide because ew.

Taake likes this.