1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

When did Angel find its groove?

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by dcai0830, Aug 15, 2017.

1. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

It's been a while since I did a full Angel re-watch. I do full Buffy rewatches but typically I go back and watch my favorite Angel episodes instead of full re-watches. Recently, I decided that my husband who dislikes Buffy needs to give Angel a chance. He loves superhero shows and Angel is after all "the dark avenger" (LOL).

In any case, I'm at Hero, and I keep telling him to hang on because good is coming. And Hero isn't bad by any means but I recall things taking a much better turn after IWRY, I'm just wondering when that turn is coming it has been some time since I watched early Season 1.

When do you think AtS began to click/found it's groove?

2. Athene

Athene Scooby

I started appreciating Angel after I saw 'Five by Five' and 'Sanctuary' but of course as a major Faith fan I'm biased :rolleyes: Those episodes did compliment Angel (the character) extremely well though.

Mylie likes this.
  3. Puppet

Puppet Hands in the hair!

Black Thorn
    For me it's got to be Hero, what Doyle did, that sacrifice, would continue to be an important message for the show to have, and both the acting, writing and directing was just stellar for that one. I suppose it's all about personal preference, though. For me, S1 is the second best Angel season, sooo... :D

WillowFromBuffy likes this.
  4. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

[​IMG]
    At Cordelia's housewarming party.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 15, 2017 ---
    I guess Hero was the first great episode that was not carried by visitors from Sunnydale. They had so small an ensemble. It took guts to kill of Doyle, but it worked.

Priceless, dcai0830 and Puppet like this.
  5. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    This is an interesting question because the Angel pilot is perfection. It's much better than Welcome to the Hellmouth and it perfectly sets the tone of the show. But I would argue that the show didn't really get good until Doyle's death and Wesley's arrival. Before that, the episodes were either dull or they had Buffy characters carrying them. Then again, even after Wesley's arrival, there are still some pretty poor fillers like She and Expecting. But once we get to The Ring, which is really underrated imo, all the episodes start being consistently awesome.

Puppet and dcai0830 like this.
  6. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Well, perhaps Angel became memorable with IWRY - which was followed by Hero, Parting Gifts and Somnambulist, all good episodes that set the tone for the show. However, those episodes are followed by Expecting and She, bad episodes in general, although the quality improves with I've Got You Under my Skin, The Prodigal, The Ring... I actually love these episodes and could say the show was already consistently good by this point. Still, I know these episodes are slightly random and are disliked by some of the fans.

Five by Five/Sanctuary and brilliant and Blind Date/To Shanshu in L.A. are as well. By the time these episodes are watched, the audience has already seen some brilliant episodes like City Of, In the Dark, IWRY, Hero, Somnambulist, The Prodigal, so Faith's arc cements the fact that Angel can be consistently brilliant. The finale wraps up the season very well. By that point, the thematic focus of the show (it's existential themes) are set up pretty well already.

I guess that by the time one watches the Faith two parter, one should already like the show and understand what it's all about. When the show find it's groove is pretty subjective because it depends on how much one enjoys the season. I believe that way before the two-parter the Angel writers and actors were already delivering consistently good episodes which were all in the same vein as Five by Five/Sanctuary.

dcai0830 and Fool for Buffy like this.
  7. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

When I rewatch Angel Season 1, I typically go to City of, Into the Dark then jump to 5x5/sanctuary and then skip to To Shanshu in LA. Those are my favorites. I generally can't stand Kate so if an episode focuses on her I stay away. Lol.

I'm so interested in getting my husband's perspective on Angel from the lense of a nonbuffy show watcher. But Sometimes I do have to stop and explain things to him about stuff that happened on Buffy.

8. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

The groove for me happened in early s2. I adore a lot of episodes from s1 but I came to appreciate them more while rewatching them randomly and not as part of a big rewatch.

9. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    For me, it was S2...specifically the Shroud of Rahmon and Guise Will Be Guise. Those eps kicked ass.

Puppet likes this.
  10. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    For me it would be City Of. I just immediately fell in love with the show, and consistently loved it, so I'm the worst person to answer the question lol. I think season 1 captures the tone and atmosphere the show wanted to set up, without being overt or cheesy about it. There's a real pang of loneliness about those first few episodes and it speaks to my dark hollow heart.

GwenRaiden, Mylie, dcai0830 and 2 others like this.