1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Who's In Charge?

Discussion in 'Season 9' started by white avenger, Feb 24, 2014.

1. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

After the big finale in Season 8, what do you think happened to the Slayers and their allies? Obviously, Buffy isn't the one in charge anymore, and Kennedy has taken some girls with her in her bodyguard service, but what about the other hundreds of Slayers scattered all over the world? Are they all just roaming around, individually and in small teams, fighting demons and vamps on their own, with no more group coordination, or do you think that somewhere, somewhere, is still trying to keep things fairly well organized?

(I shudder to think that Andrew might now be the Slayer Army's General.)

2. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    There are some answers for us in S9- Kennedy has set up her own business/security firm. Andrew runs some sort of aid relief thing (this I find highly doubtful knowing what we know about Andrew, but whatever, apparently he's matured :rolleyes:)

That leaves us with maybe the first of the Potentials (Rhona and Vi?) that survived Sunnydale, plus any talented slayers that are still around (I'm thinking Satsu).
    I'm not sure there are any Watchers left to mentor anybody, or if Giles trained any to take the lead after he went- it doesn't seem so.
    Also in A&F Faith was still mentoring a group of London slayers before they kind of split off from her, so its possible some slayer groups are going through the motions.

Simone's renegade group are still around (somewhere in Europe) but are now leaderless.

Hopefully these questions will be answered in S10, since they are big hanging plot threads.

3. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    I imagine the people in squads would still be in those squads. Vi, Rona and Wood all had their own teams and I can't see them deciding 'eh, well, Buffy slept with the enemy and made some bad choices, so we don't have to be Slayers anymore or do this job anymore, so let's all go join the circus.' They're not like that.

We saw that Leah is now part of Kennedy's team and I can't see Satsu turning her back on Slaying, so I'd think she was still part of the Japanese team? No sign of Rowena so far.

I don't think there's any sort of 'overlord' for the Slayers now, because, frankly, I don't think there's anyone who could do that job - Andrew can't do it, he doesn't have that kind of authority or presence or mindset to pull that off. Kennedy doesn't want the job. Buffy can't do the job. Spike can't do it, because Rona might actually kill him if he tried. Willow doesn't want it. Xander doesn't want it. Dawn's preoccupied. Giles is a child. Faith's too preoccupied with Angel and 'what to do now'. Angel can't do it and would be killed if he tried.

Wood, Connor and Gunn could maybe manage it, if they worked together with some of the Sunnydale girls, like Vi and Rona, but alone, they don't have the authority and the Slayers wouldn't trust them, despite their resumes.

I think, right now, the only person who could coordinate the Slayers into a cohesive unit would be Faith, with someone at her back, but she doesn't want it. Faith doesn't want to be a leader, she just wants to do what she does best, which is Slay and live her life on her own terms. Being a leader means she can't do that and she's not willing to bend.

white avenger: I think that there'sa better chance of Rona becoming Spike'sSlayer Number 3 than tneother way around. Anyhow, why wouldSpikeeven be interested in directing the Slayers? There'sonly oneSlayer he's interested in.
  4. Zeppelin92

Zeppelin92 Potential

I understand why the Scoobies wanted to Rally all of the Slayers together. Once a new Slayer has been properly trained though, they should just be on their way. I think it would be better to have individual Slayers living their lives in whatever town their from helping people every now and again, rather then one super compound full of Slayers. If every town had a "Buffy" to save individual people, the world would be a hell of a lot safer. Not only does a large collection of Slayers together create a massive target for any kind of Evil, but I think they lost sight of "the little guy".

5. white avenger

If there were someone directing and coordinating the now several hundred Slayers throughout the world, i would be far more efficient than just single girls or small groups wandering around doing their own Slaying thing. If one girl got into more than she could handle, she could call Slayer HQ for help, and the others nearest to her could lend a hand. Just imagine how much more efficient it would have been if Buffy had been able to call in a squad of girls to help with Angelus, Glory, the Master, or Mayor Wilkins. With that kind of available reinforcements, Slayers might actually make it all theway to retirement age.

6. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    [MENTION=6758]white avenger[/MENTION]

What? I don't even know what this is supposed to mean or why it relates to what I posted.

Are you trying to say that Rona can't or doesn't want to kill Spike? I hate to disagree (but I don't really) but if she was given the opportunity, I think Rona wouldn't hesitate to take Spike out of the picture completely. She doesn't like him, she doesn't trust him, she lost a lot of people because Buffy put him and his needs before everyone else's safety. She thinks the world would be a better and safer place if he wasn't in it. She'd kill him and then go for milkshakes.

Unless of course you mean that she CAN'T kill Spike, as in, she's physically incapable of doing so. In which case, I still disagree. Rona is one of the Slayers in charge of her own squad, and she's highly motivated to kill Spike. She wouldn't have a problem killing him. Plus, Spike, as has been mentioned frequently, including by Buffy herself, isn't at the same level of ruthlessness as he was when he didn't have a soul. He'd hesitate if he was up against someone like Rona.

I didn't say he would WANT the job, I just said he wouldn't be able to do it.

7. white avenger

It was supposed to be a joke, but apparently it wasn't taken that way. But you're the one who brought up Spike as a possible candidate to lead the Slayers, not me, and I have serious doubts that Rona would be up to the job of dusting Spike unless she did it from a distance with a crossbow

8. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    Then we've hit some sort of cultural difference, because it made no sense to me.

I did bring it up, never said I didn't, but I made no mention as to whether Spike wanted the job or not. I just pointed out that he shouldn't even be considered as a contender, because no one would be able to accept him in that role.

I don't care how she does it - this comment by you proves that she can, if she puts her mind to it. In close quarters is by far the only way to kill a vampire. There's no shame in using a crossbow, Spike himself has used crossbows.