1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why didn't Buffy just kill Spike in Crushed?

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by BuffyBot22, May 16, 2017.

1. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

So, I just watched Crushed recently and it made me even more furious than the first time I watched it.

I get it, Spike has a chip in his head so he can't PERSONALLY kill a human, but it's clear that he is still very dangerous.

Spike ties Buffy up and tries to force her into saying she loves him or he will allow Dru to kill her. First off this is quite psychotic and pathetic. I would expect an evil vampire to at least be much less pathetic about the situation.

Buffy gets free and all she does is punch him really hard and resend his invitation. WOW, what a punishment? She should have staked him. It wouldn't even be hard since he can't fight her back. It's so ridiculous that she wouldn't have killed him because s1-3 Buffy would have dusted him. Hell she killed the love of her life even once he got his soul back. Not sure what the hold up is on dusting a chipped Spike.

thrasherpix and GraceK like this.
  2. Athene

Athene Scooby

Because we were suppose to believe that she has feelings for him :(

BuffyBot22: That makes me sick inside lol
  3. Antho

Antho Potential

But she killed Angel because it was the only way to save the world.. Spike with his chip, he isn't a real danger and he can help, and he will..

Priceless likes this.
  4. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Well, from the writers POV, Spike was quite popular among the fans so they couldn't risk killing one of the show's most popular characters. But from Buffy's POV I can't see any reasons not to kill him. He was a waste of her time. He couldn't hurt her or any other human being, but that doesn't mean he can't plot her death and pay someone to do so. I think she felt some sort of empathy for him, which is weird considering everything he did to her and the fact that he just tied her up until she confesses she loved him (are we really suposed to think he loved her?). So, my answer is bad writing.

RomanticSoul, BuffyBot22 and Bluebird like this.
  5. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

Spike was always psychotic and pathetic. I happen to love this episode. Could you really kill someone after they professed they love for you?

What Spike does is completely insane. What he doesn't do, though, is kill Buffy and go on a murder rampage with Dru.

Priceless and BuffyBot22 like this.
  6. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I guess I only reason I can think of is because Spike came across as so deeply pathetic by the end of the episode; running after Buffy and saying that they needed to talk about 'their feelings' or some nonsense.

But remember how the episode started? Drusilla massacring a train-load of humans and she just gets to walk off at the end. Buffy doesn't even attempt to stake her or run after her; and remember that Drusilla wasn't even at her strongest thanks to Angel setting her on fire not long ago.
    Why did Buffy let Drusilla live? She's the real threat.

Except that its clear how much Buffy still detests Spike in the very next episode; deeply creeped out by his 'feelings' for her. Her opinion of him doesn't change until 'Intervention' and even then its just that she accepts that his emotions are genuine; she still doesn't return them in any way.

RomanticSoul, GraceK and BuffyBot22 like this.
  7. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I'm glad she didn't respect his feelings for her in any way whatsoever, but the fact that Spike, Dru, and Harmony, walk away without a staking is beyond comprehension. It was like bad fan fiction. It's a shame that David Fury wrote some of the most divisive episodes because I think he's a good writer. It's also quite obvious he wasn't a Spuffy fan because this episode doesn't reflect well on Spike as love interest at all.

RomanticSoul, thetopher and Zenseem like this.
  8. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Zero reason but plot armour. He showed perfectly well that even with a chip he was a threat to her and other humans.

Lol, yes. Might've been the time for a name change of the show!

9. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

That bothered me too. At least she left at her first opportunity. But, Buffy definitely should have went after her or at least dusted Harmony. She was there too. I can't believe they all went unscathed as @Bluebird mentioned.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 16, 2017 ---
    I'll give him always psychotic. That's fine. I don't take much issue with that because he is evil. But, he used to be an evil, psychotic, brilliant badass in s2. Now, he's just pathetic :( What a shame since I loved s2 Spike.
    I know she had to kill Angel to save the world. But, imagine how emotionally draining it was for her to kill him in the first place but then on top of that now his soul is intact and now she has to kill the man she loves not just the monster inside him, it went from emotionally draining to emotionally devastating.

However, Spike is still evil and would most definitely kill tons of innocent people and attempt to kill Buffy if the chip was removed. He has even flat out told them that before. He still plots and plans to kill Buffy in other ways even while chipped. At his core he is still soulless and evil. No reason to not dust him. There are zero emotional ties and he is still a dangerous threat to humanity.

RomanticSoul likes this.
  10. WillowFromBuffy

Spike and Dru were inspired by Sid and Nancy. Sid is by far the most pathetic creature who has ever walked this earth - and yet somehow he managed to look quite cool. Spike is quite pathetic in season 2, especially after Angel joins them. One of the best looks into Spike's personality is in season 3, though, when he gives his "love's bitch" speech.

GoSpuffy, Priceless and BuffyBot22 like this.
  11. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

He was always quite the weak man pretending to be tough. I guess for me he just reached a new level of pathetic in this episode.

Zenseem and WillowFromBuffy like this.
  12. Athene

Athene Scooby

Well yeah but the fact that she didn't kill him shows that she's either careless or just didn't want to kill him for some reason. I think that they were building the idea of Spuffy.

13. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

Spike is completely pathetic in Crush, and completely in love with Buffy. She can't stake him because she is the hero, and killing isn't about the victim in BtVS so much as the effect the killing has on the killer. Spike is part of her life, part of her families life, can you imagine telling Dawn and Joyce you just killed their friend? Buffy would rip her family apart. I think she see's him as an ally or potential ally in keeping Dawn safe and fighting Glory, so it'd be a tactical mistake to dust him.

14. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I've always wondered why, as the Slayer, Buffy will happily stake a random vampire, but point blank refuses to stake a named vampire. It's kinda her job to rid the world of the demons..... :rolleyes: Dru and Harmony both just get away in this episode and it's dumb. You're a slayer, so SLAY!

They're obviously trying to make a point that Spike is sooo desperately in love with Buffy that he'll do anything, even resort to being a total psycho (because, y'know, psycho guys are so hot!), but unless Buffy has some interest in him (which the show makes clear by her disgust at his actions that she does not) then it's all just lame storytelling really.

I guess by this point they know they can't get rid of James Marsters, but they also want to sow the seeds of Spuffy and make it clear that his version of love is like no version of love any sane human could understand....

RomanticSoul, Bluebird and BuffyBot22 like this.
  15. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

Rip her family a part? Spike is NOT Dawn's father or Joyce's husband. He's not even a friend. He's at most an acquaintance.
    If anything she would be protecting herself, her friends, and her family from someone who has planned her death over and over again.
    Sure, he helped later by not telling Glory who the key was. But this is AFTER she should have dusted him.
    The one time he was there for a fight with Glory previous to this, he got knocked out and was utterly useless in that fight. That fight proved that Buffy's real asset to the fight was Willow.

RomanticSoul, thetopher and GraceK like this.
  16. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I think saying Spikes demise at Buffy's hands would rip her family apart is an extreme exaggeration. Despite what Spike might think, He is not Buffy's boyfriend. Dawn might be upset cause she's immature and childlike, but I doubt Joyce would care that a soulless demon obsessed with her daughter is dead, even if she does make him cocoa. And if she does care, than that just makes Joyce a fool and even more oblivious than normal.
    @BuffyBot22 its like your in my head!! Lol

BuffyBot22: Like usual lol
  17. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

Imagine telling Dawn you've just dusted Spike :D Yeah Dawn would get over it, but would she ever talk to you again? At this point Spike is Dawn's friend and she has a major crush on him and we know how extreme Dawn can be when hearing bad news. I think Joyce would care if Spike were dusted, he's become her friend and neither she nor Dawn appear to think of him as at all dangerous.

Spike was rubbish in the fight against Glory, but at least he was in it, fighting alongside her, and at this point Buffy needed all the allies she can get, she is fighting a God after all.

DeadlyDuo and WillowFromBuffy like this.
  18. WillowFromBuffy

I think he does rather well. At least, you cannot say he did not do his very best. He held a sword with his hands and got himself thrown off a tower. I so enjoy watching those final episodes. My two favourite characters gets to shine. And Buffy is just unbelievably awesome. She should have kept the hammer.

Priceless: Lol he held a sword :-) what a hero
    Priceless likes this.
  19. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I suppose one- actual plot-related reason may be that in the back of her mind Buffy still had to deal with Glory and Spike had helped out with that in the past; so even with all her disgust towards the new knowledge, that was a viable reason to stay her hand temporarily. Maybe, just maybe, Spike could be useful in the future.

Judging by how Dawn reacts to Spike in 'I Was Made To Love You' then I think she'd get over Spike being dusted pretty darn quickly; she clearly didn't like what he did to Buffy in 'Crush'.

BuffyBot22, GraceK and Priceless like this.
  20. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    If Joyce was upset, Buffy could always remind her that the first time she saw Spike, he was trying to kill Buffy and Joyce hit him with an axe. Dawn would have known about it because although she did not exist at that time, she would have been programmed with all the memories of Spike's attack. If that didn't do it, her description of being tied up and having Spike threaten to allow Drusilla to kill her unless she declared her love for him would have gotten the picture across. Dawn is nowhere near as oblivious as Joyce.