1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why didn't the monks just destroy the key?

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Purplemess317, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    So, if the monks did, for example, make Dawn into a grain of sand thus avoiding the whole Glory plot, what would S5 have actually been about? Or maybe that's a theory for another thread? :p

2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I don't know but they could've revolved it around the biggest challenge Buffy would've ever had to face: Her mother's cancer diagnosis and overcoming the grief that results from that.

3. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    The Monks didn't have time to turn her into a grain of sand, but they did have time to turn her into a living breathing Human, transport her to Buffy's house, & rewrite the memories of loads of other people (including a powerful Witch who may have actually noticed if they didn't do it carefully) to not notice her sudden appearance......? ;)

It is a point though that if Dawn had never been created then Season 5 would probably have fizzled out or even gone the way of S7 :confused:

thrasherpix likes this.
  4. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I felt it was actually pretty cruel of the monks to make her human. In order to protect her, they make her a mortal girl, give her fake memories, and basically leave her vulnerable? I mean, the only way to activate the key , in her HUMAN form, is to slowly bleed her to death. They pretty much condemned her to be tortured to death on the off chance Buffy didn't save her in time. Not to mention the mental anguish of being responsible for the world ending, her sister dying, and not actually
    Being "real". If they had just made her an inanimate object at least she wouldn't suffer.

On a slightly different topic, what exactly WOULD happen to Dawn if she died? Would she just revert to a ball of energy or would she actually move on like Buffy did?

5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    The monks said they made Dawn completely human, so presumably she would die like a human and die similarly to Buffy.....

GraceK likes this.
  6. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

I think that's because the Monks were both religious and men. They are similar to the Shadow Men, they think of young girls as easily hidden and easily controlled, they wouldn't become involved in anything that would draw attention to herself, therefore easier for the Slayer to protect. I don't think it ever entered their head that they were causing pain, and if they were, so what, their remit was only to protect the key.

GraceK likes this.