1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why didn't Willow ever use a spell to get Xander's eye back?

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by Benz, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Benz

Benz Townie

I mean Willow should surely able to do that without crossing line.

As Xander lost eye by Supernatural means.

2. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

Even if it wasn't supernatural means (and I'm not convinced it was), you're right.

Good point!

3. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Shhhhh, don't ask hard questions!

Next you'd be asking why vampires dust with their clothes when staked, or why the mayor wanted to be a big snake, or how the untrained Xander never got killed on 7 years of patrols, and then the entire 'verse would collapse on itself!

4. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    I'm thinking Joss just wanted Xander to look like Nick Fury

Guy likes this.
  5. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I think they wanted Xander to have that scar permanently.

6. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    The magical and the mystical don't tend to mix. It's true that Dark Willow brought Buffy back with powerful magics but a bullet wound isn't the same as having your eye gouged out.
    Eyes are a complex and fragile biological mechanism and I just don't see magic as that subtle a tool, at least from what we're show, to be able to repair Xander's disability.

But...he could always get a bionic eye! That would be cool!
    It could look like a normal eye (or maybe not) but have additional cool gadgets built-in; X-Ray vision, lasers, microscopic mode, I-Pod, etc.

Because from what we see the technology certainly exists (the various bots for example, Adam for another), they could rebuild him...
    Hey, I figured out a use for Andrew!

7. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Well, remember, Xander is "the one who sees everything." Maybe they could use that to finally give him his own special power. Willow could give him a mystical "All Seeing Eye." that could have a lot of potential for future story lines.

Of course, that would mean that they would have to designate someone else to go and get the doughnuts...
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    Especially if he's a fan of the old "Six Million Dollar Man" TV series.

thetopher likes this.
  8. Priceless

Priceless You're my dog, y'know?

I've always liked Xanders eye patch, it's a permanent physical reminder of the horrors they have been through, and it plays into Xanders anger issues.

Scooby Corps, sosa lola and Guy like this.
  9. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

I guess they simply wanted to have the Nick Fury/Xander parallel and it his an visual symbol for what he had gone through.

My head-canon:

S03-06 Willow had fixed his eye (assumed she had the power) most likely without his consent to make him happy resulting in Giles and Tara scowling at her because of the Violence Against Nature ignoring that Xander Is More Likely To Survive In Battle With Both Eyes. Xander would be angry at first because of the consent part and because he doesn't like others to fix his problems. It makes him feel vulnerable. But when he came around he would thank her in a sappy, cute Xillow friendship-y fashion. <3

S07 Willow was too scared of going dark again/The First infecting her again to do any spell at all. She would have done it if he had asked but Xander wouldn't want it anyway for his own but mostly for Willow's sake. Had someone else (Buffy or Dawn) asked her, Xander would have interfered.

S8-10 Willow probably asked him but he refused for above reason AND he came to the conclusion that it's kinda cool, sexy and a lady magnet anyway.

Carrie Hopewell and sosa lola like this.
  10. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Maybe it's easier for Willow to reanimate a complete, intact corpse (such as Buffy) than it is to rebuild a part of the human body that is long gone? Maybe she needs the part in order for the spell to work?

Plus, like @thetopher said, the human eye is intricate. It might be she's not quite that powerful, or it just can't be done by witchcraft...

11. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

@Athena

Willow healed herself instantly after Warren had lobotomized her or from her injuries inflicted from Giles. She definitely has the power to fix Xander's eye. :)

12. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    My bad! Just realise this thread is in Season 8! I've not read the comics - doh! :p:D

DoktorRock: The lobotomy is in the comics, yes. Willow healed herself with a wave of her hand in "Grave" :)
    Scooby Corps likes this.
  13. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Speaking of Xander's eye patch, I wonder if he swapped his allegiance over from DC's Sargent Rock to Marvel's Sargent Nick Fury? He quoted "what Sgt Rock would do" several times during Seasons 4, 5, and 6, but I haven't heard him say "Sgt Nick Fury would..." as of yet. Of course, SGT Nick Fury never had an eye patch. It wasn't until much later, after he left the Army, that he lost his eye.