1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Wolfram and Hart

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by GraceK, Mar 25, 2017.

1. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I have a question. If the show has already answered it, please tell me, maybe I just overlooked it. So, when Jasmine is finally born, she goes on a crusade with Angel and the gang to clean the streets and rid LA of evil. She seems genuine in her attempts to bring peace to the world. So I'm wondering, was that why she had the Beast kill everyone at Wolfrsm and Hart? Cause they were evil represented on earth? Lilah even asked herself " why is he picking on us? We're the bad guys!!". I found that interesting. At first I thought it was all to get to the white room and to the little girl, but he could have done that without slaughtering the whole law firm, including those who were out sick that day.

So why kill them? Was it because Jasmine really did have an end goal of world peace? I would love to hear your thoughts!! :)

GwenRaiden likes this.
  2. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    There was some vague reason given in the show about the Beast 'taking out the competition' as it were, but it's never explained properly. A lot of season 4 is like that. I mean, the rain of fire and blotting out the sun was explained as birthing pains or some such lol. My guess is that the restructuring of the season caused quite a few inconsistencies in the story. I can look past it though. As long as there's good character work to plaster over the plot holes, I'm happy.

Carrie Hopewell and GwenRaiden like this.
  3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Jasmine wasn't evil in the traditional sense, she was more a 'for the greater good' type of villain. She didn't want to destroy the world, or to exploit it, she wanted to fix it; to fix humanity with peace, love, joy, etc.
    So W&H was her enemy because they were out to harm and 'degrade' humanity by their mere presence. So she destroyed them. It wasn't a distraction like the reign of fire or blotting out the sun (all of which was entirely superfluous and meant to keep everyone busy whilst Cordy's pregnancy came to term)

I still think what she was doing was irredeemably horrible- all the mayhem she caused previously with the Beast's help- but she clearly believed that the ends would justify it.
    At the end of the day she was just another deranged fanatic.

OccaQuokka and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  4. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Never understood why she wanted Angelus out either. I can maybe understand blotting out the sun and the rain or fire to lure all of the vampires in so that they can kill a huge part of their population in one big swoop but nope never understood Angelus or her weird sexual tention with the beast.

5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    If Angelus is around it means that Angel is in no position to stop her. He's in a lil' jar.

Geobubbles and GraceK like this.
  6. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

That's a good point.

Geobubbles likes this.
  7. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Well, I agree with what @thetopher said, but maybe one of the reasons why Jasmine wiped out the L.A. branch of W&H is because they were the competition. Jasmine, like most gods, wanted to be worshiped. She has a statue of herself in the other demon world Angel visited and wanted to build a temple of herself on Earth. The wolf, the ram and the hart are some of the original demons that ruled this planet along with the gods and the powers that were like Jasmine. That means W&H have as much, if not more, power than Jasmine. That was bad for her plans, since the Senior Partners and the Circle of the Black Thorn were planning a major apocalypse and she was planning utopia, and bad for her ego, because she had to be the most powerful and worshiped power.
    I mean, W&H offered Angel and his team the keys to W&H's L.A. branch because they did what W&H failed to do: stop world peace. Neither W&H nor Jasmine could go through with their bigger plans as long as the other existed.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---
    That's one of the reasons why I love this board too! We're pretty awesome here ;)

GraceK: This is why I love this board. :) so many good ideas are brought up
    GwenRaiden: I agree with this.
    GraceK likes this.
  8. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    "They knew what they were getting into."

"Her stomach?!"

9. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    For someone with no professed understanding of religion, Joss has created the perfect version of the anti-Christ in Jasmine. An anti-Christ will be an attractive, seductive character. An anti-Christ will right some longstanding wrongs. The anti-Christ will consume people in an effort to rewrite humanity in its own image. The anti-Christ will eliminate all opposition.

Think of the parallels with Hitler. He was a soft-spoken character with a gift for speaking to masses in public. He made the trains and buses run on time. He promised the people of Germany he would lead them to a better life. He may not have been a cannibal but he did "consume" people. Not every anti-Christ follows the exact same path but the characteristics are there and they are unmistakeable. And anyone who saw through him to find the real demonic character underneath (like Fred) was hunted unmercifully and exterminated except Jasmine failed with Fred and the other members of AI who subsequently saw her for what she was.

And let's face it, once she made a BMW driver stop cheerfully for a pedestrian, it was obvious that she was in command of some of the darkest mojo you can get.

Sternbeeere: totally agree with you, plus I do not think she was the for the greater good type of villain, she wanted to be admired and she wanted power, she only hid it pretending to be someone she was not
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

:D:D:D

11. Sternbeeere

Sternbeeere Glory┬┤s sane(?) groupie

She wiped out "free will" in the way it is commonly understood and she made every person worship her, she made the catholic church (genuinely anti-christian notion) worship her, she made all arts about her, all book etc. This is really the darkest mojo and it has nothing to do with being good or something, it only shows her true aim, to gain all the power .

12. Meliza

Meliza Potential

Agree with all of this and learned some things too. If things had gone a little differently, a Jasmine-esque villain fleshed out more with a "The ends justify the means" theme. Connor's "I know what she looks like. She's beautiful" had a spark of something interesting to it, beyond the usual one noteness of the character. To bad that wouldn't have been explored more and tied into the thematic premise.