1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you have liked to have seen Jenny or Joyce instead of Olivia in Restless?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Mr Trick, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I heard today that it was meant to be Jenny in Gile's dream and not Olivia, but they could not get the actress. Since we don't get to know Olivia very well, then Jenny taking her part would have made more sense, or they could have gone with the slightly twisted, but also logical choice of Joyce.

Would you had preferred either in that scene?

Monkey Pants likes this.
  2. Dolores

Dolores Professional sleeper

Jenny hands down

Monkey Pants likes this.
  3. Iwearthecheese

Iwearthecheese Scooby

I don't think either would work.

Really Giles didn't think of Joyce that way at all- not in a relationship sense or anything, They both felt embarrased by the whole affair afterwards.
    Jenny would've made more sense but by the same turn would've been too sad and overshadowed the light/surreal quality of Giles part of the episode.

Olivia was really just a romantic stand-in, we'd seen her in two episodes previously. Maybe if she'd been a better actress she would've made more of an impression this episode but she was the best option.

I did hear somewhere that both Angel and Faith were supposed to appear in Buffy's dream, but they couldn't get either actor back for their part. THAT would've been interesting.

4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But then don't dreams sometimes bring out stuff we want to supress? I think the Joyce link would mostly be because of Gile's role as Buffy's father figure. I do think Jenny would have been the ideal link, as it would show just how much Giles thought of her, and that maybe she was the only one he ever saw himself settling down with. I don't know if you can blame the actress playing Olivia or not? I mean she really wasn't given that much to do.

Faith more than Angel would have been good. By this point the Buffy-Angel thing had been done to death and he had already moved on (as had Buffy), so I don't really think him appearing in the dream would have worked that well. As it was I think they got the episode just about right.

5. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I understand they were limited to their choice of actress, but I never warmed to Olivia anyway. I think because we never heard about her from Giles before she showed up and then we're supposed to buy they're together after seeing her for only two episodes, I just never bought their relationship. The actress was ok, but I never really understood how she all of a sudden appeared and then disappeared as quickly. It was like she was an afterthought. She didn't really contribute to either episode she appeared in.

It should have been Jenny. It's a shame it couldn't be, but perhaps this was for the best. After all, dreams never seem to be coherent examples of how you feel in life. You dream about random people and random situations, regardless of how you feel in real life. In many ways, Joyce probably would have been the better shout, because although their 'affair' was short lived, it would actually make sense for Giles to maybe have repressed feelings about the mother of his surrogate-daughter and for him to dream about raising this family with her.

thrasherpix likes this.
  6. brittles

brittles Scooby

Sineya
    Jenny for sure. This must be such a suppressed issue for him and it would make the most sense to me that she would show up in this role in his dream. He never got to see how their relationship would turn out so it makes sense that he would dream about this situation with her.

7. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I think Joyce should've been that dream because of the father-figure aspect to Buffy. It would represent a family unit.

Joyce and Giles as a couple could've been interesting though they'd probably want to keep it secret from Buffy for a while.

8. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    We see Olivia in "Hush" and "Restless" and in neither case is she introduced as a love interest. Somehow, someone who would pay to get on a plane (with all the hassle that involves nowadays although it wasn't that much less back then), spend 12 hours flying to Sunnydale (almost certainly one change of aircraft and a layover of some indeterminate amount) just to be with Giles for a casual hookup then go back with all the same hassles deserves a little more status than "friends with benefits". She could have been a series regular because anyone who was willing to put up with Giles to the extent of spending a day in the air for one visit might have been a good idea. Joyce was too much of a scatterbrain for Giles and Jenny, although she was a legitimate love interest, had too little in common with Giles. She would have gotten tired of dragging him into the twentieth century only to have to drag him again into the twenty-first century and he never accepted that he should be dragged anywhere.

DeadlyDuo and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Why would Olivia spend 12 hours flying to Sunnydale? Where was she flying from?

10. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    I would assume from her accent that she was one of Giles' old acquaintances from England.

11. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    She could be a Brit living in the US though, like Giles.

12. Priceless

Priceless All that's best of dark and bright

Didn't Olivia say she had to fly in for a conference? I don't think she came just to see Giles, though I do think she flew from England

13. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

It doesn't take 12 hours to fly from England to California, does it?

14. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    It's eight hours from London to Toronto and five hours from Toronto to L.A. Allowing for a non-stop flight from London to L.A. taking an hour less since there is no second takeoff and landing, 12 hours seems right.

15. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Wow I never realised it took that long to fly to America.